Tom Powers: Win or lose, Gophers have had remarkable season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Powers:

The Gophers have been getting better and better under Kill, who keeps telling people the program still has a long way to go. He says it's not where it needs to be. Yet it sure looks like it's where it needs to be. In fact, it appears as if it's ahead of where it probably should be.

"You've got to do it year in and year out," Kill insisted. "You try to build a program. Where I've been before, once we got. ... I mean, we were in Southern Illinois, and once we got going we stayed consistent with it. And Northern, they're still winning, so I think we left a good program behind."

Consistency is important. Nobody wants to be a one-hit wonder. And coaches are all about lowering expectations. Kill reminded us this week that he's on a seven-year building program. So maybe this is a bonus or a sneak peek. It's certainly a rarity for the Gophers to have their biggest game take place at the very end of the schedule.

"The border battle, all those things," Kill said. "If you remember, early in the year I said for us to win a championship, or to have the opportunity, we have to beat the border schools. I said that a long time ago. We've been able to beat one, and now we have the opportunity to play for something. We had to win at Lincoln to have that opportunity. And so we did that. We've done our job. And now we go. We have a lot to be thankful for, we really do."

Win, lose or draw.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27023652/tom-powers-win-or-lose-gophers-have-had

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. It's been a fun season. Most fun I've ever had with the Gophers. I hope the conference season doesn't end on Saturday, but I'll be content either way.

Agreed. It's been a fun season. Most fun I've ever had with the Gophers. I hope the conference season doesn't end on Saturday, but I'll be content either way.

Unless they get killed. That would suck

Unless they get killed. That would suck

It would suck. That would put a little bit of a dark mark on the game to know that we got crushed in the biggest game in some of our lives, but I'd still be happy with how the season went. Find a way to replace Cobb's production (please Jeff Jones please) and we can get back to this point next year.

Just to note. I don't think they will get killed. I think they might win and will certainly be in the mix. A drubbing would be really depressing though.

NO matter what happens on Saturday, the Gophs are going to play in a decent bowl game. They NEED to win the bowl game to keep the momentum going through the off-season and recruiting.

Having said that, if they find a way to win on Saturday, it's a plus in my book. As far as a possible B1G Championship game - I don't even want to think about it - I'm afraid I'll jinx it.

Top Bottom