Kill's first two months.

balds

Reaction score
Jerry started building bricks the second he got here. Not the most recruiting stars, but these players were the right kind of kids to build with.

Recruits Kill nabbed in two months from his hire date to national signing day:

Cedric Thompson
Derrick Wells
David Cobb
John Rabe
Drew Goodger
Marcus Jones
Joe Bjorklund
Foster Bush
Theiren Cockran
Michael Amefula
Josh Campion
Grayson Levine

I like that there are some big time contributors on this team from Wisconsin. It seems like through the Mason and Brewster years there were always salient examples of top Minnesota kids playing for Iowa and Wisconsin. Hopefully the tide is turning and maybe even flipping a bit.

Jerry started building bricks the second he got here. Not the most recruiting stars, but these players were the right kind of kids to build with.

Cedric Thompson
Derrick Wells
David Cobb
John Rabe
Drew Goodger
Marcus Jones
Joe Bjorklund
Foster Bush
Theiren Cockran
Michael Amefula
Josh Campion
Grayson Levine

Wow! Great post! Impressive.

Love this info. Thanks for sharing.
I guess it's too late to make a list of all the dead weight Kill got rid of too. Seemed like there were quite a few players who didn't realize there was a new sheriff in town (Jew Jew Party) and were shown where they could go if they didn't get on board with the program.

What I like about Kill's recruiting is that he doesn't miss very often. Most of his recruits are contributors. Contrast that with Brewster's last two recruiting classes at Minnesota. There were a lot of recruits who either never even saw the field or were marginal contributors.

Agreed. I might argue the Campion name, but the point remains unchanged.

Kill could have easily bailed on Campion, but he knew he was special and stuck with him. Campion is really a Kill recruit.

Cedric Thompson
Derrick Wells
David Cobb
John Rabe
Drew Goodger
Marcus Jones
Joe Bjorklund
Foster Bush
Theiren Cockran
Michael Amefula
Josh Campion
Grayson Levine

Kill is a better judge of talent than Brewster was.

It is simple: Brewster could see what a kid is. Kill sees what a kid can be.

Kill could have easily bailed on Campion, but he knew he was special and stuck with him.

For sure. My point was that Campion always wanted to be and was previously a Gopher. That is what makes him different than others on his list. BBC and Wolitarski didn't even know where Minnesota was when Kill went after them (their words).

Kill could have easily bailed on Campion, but he knew he was special and stuck with him. Campion is really a Kill recruit.

Kill is a better judge of talent than Brewster was.

It is simple: Brewster could see what a kid is. Kill sees what a kid can be.

Agree with Spoofin that Campion is the only name that shouldn't be on that list since I think the point of the post was guys that Kill found after he was hired and Campion was not an unknown. Still a good list of players though considering the small timeframe.

As to the second point about recruiting I think there is some truth to what you say although I think the bigger picture is that Kill and his staff know exactly what they are looking for in a recruit to fit their systems whereas Brew never got his systems established so from a recruiting standpoint they were just going after the best athletes they could get.

Take the offensive line for example, when Mason was here he knew what kind of offensive lineman he wanted because he had a well established offensive system and his staff knew what type of player fit. When Brew was here they went from a zone blocking run team under Mason, to a spread team, to a power team, to whatever the heck Jedd was doing, to a more pro style offense at the end. Tough to establish a type of player in all of that for recruiting so you go after the highest ranked guys and hope they fit.

Top Bottom