Gopher Practice Quotes: Jerry Kill, Mitch Leidner Talk Badgers, David Cobb and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers Football Practice Quotes: Jerry Kill, Mitch Leidner Talk Badgers, David Cobb and More
By Alex Van Abbema

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/451595?referrer_id=

The Gophers are just a few days away from arguably the biggest game the program has played in in decades. As if that wasn’t enough on the line, the Gophers may have to take on the rival Badgers without their best offensive player, David Cobb. Here are quotes from Coach Kill and QB Mitch Leidner from practice today.

Coach Kill:

On David Cobb

Trying to do all the things he needs to do but, he won’t practice tomorrow. He’s big-time questionable. He’s gonna have to practice, he’s gonna have to figure things out. You just can’t throw somebody in if you haven’t practiced in a week and so forth. Whether it’s five or six plays, we gotta see if he can move. You can’t just throw somebody out there and say “okay get ready to go.” It’s just not smart. A guy’s not going to get miracle healed in one day. It’s going to be one of those things where you’ll know a lot more Thursday. We’ll test drive him and see what he can do. Today he wouldn’t be able to.

Two touchdown underdogs, ever been in similar situation?

Throughout our career, I think one year in Illinois we were picked to be last in the conference but we won the conference. So you don’t really pay too much into it. Each game’s different. As far as 14 point underdogs, 10 point underdogs, we’ve been underdogs quite a bit. It’s hard to go into Madison to win, but it’s hard to go into Lincoln to win. I always say when you go on the road you’re seven down. Don’t turn over the football, that’s the whole key to everything on both sides.

How has continuity of coaching staff helped?

It’s contributed to every job that we’ve had, because we know each other, and you come in to build a program, and I don’t have to hire somebody to teach them how to do it. We all know how to do it, and we all know our roles. And it’s a unique thing to be able to build things. You’ve got to have an extreme amount of patience, and extreme amount of loyalty, you know you’re going to get hammered. So you’ve got to stay the course and believe in what you do. And you’ve got to have a group of guys to do that because sometimes you have different people who don’t know what you’re trying to do, they can’t hang in there. And it’s a lot easier to change the culture when they see the coaching continuity. The continuity helps in recruiting, and teaching.

What is he thankful for?

I have so many things to be thankful for, but the biggest thing is I have two beautiful girls, and my wife who has been with me through thick and thin. And my mom’s with me and my family, and I’m thankful for the opportunities that have been given to me. And the extended family I have all over the country and in the state of Minnesota. And I’m thankful for the good lord putting me in the place that I’m in. I have a lot to be thankful for, we all do.

Mitch Leidner:

Most exciting game of career?

Definitely. A lot on the line, and that’s what a lot of the guys on the team, we’ve played for. So we’re all about those big games and we’re excited to get out there.

Offense without Cobb

Things aren’t harder, I would say. Donnell and Rodrick, they’ve both stepped up and played well. And they both played well against Nebraska and played well this week in practice. So whatever happens this week they’re going to be ready.

Top Bottom