Big STrib profile: Gophers lineman thrives with new families

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe, a well-done profile:

The holidays were approaching, and 16-year-old Cameron Botticelli wanted a Christmas tree. He didn’t think that was asking his father for much — just a tree and some stockings, a few decorations to give the bitter home some normalcy.

Botticelli’s parents had divorced when he was 6. He and his baby sister lived with their mother at first, but she was a nurse who fell into addiction. So the kids moved in with their dad on Milwaukee’s blue-collar south side and hoped for the best.

By Botticelli’s sophomore year — three years before he followed his football passion to the University of Minnesota — the friction with his mostly absent father overheated. Botticelli wasn’t on speaking terms with his mother and detested his father’s girlfriend.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/284044041.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Wow. Good read about my favorite player. Thanks Bleed!

Really good read. Thanks for posting. Always good to be reminded that these guys are normal folks who come form normal, everyday families.....families with highs and lows. Just like the rest of us.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cam is a great story. He also does an excellent job when interviewed...I've been lucky enough to catch him a couple of times on the pre-game show and he's quite thoughtful and polished. I hope he gets to swing the Axe on Saturday! Nobody deserves it more than the big man.

Good story and a very determined and intelligent young man.

Good time for Cameron to have his best game of the year, along with several of his teammates. What a fun post-game press conference it will be if he's the defensive star of this win.

Top Bottom