Sid Hartman: Maturi helped hire Gophers, Badgers coaches

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Maturi said he told University of Minnesota President Robert Bruininks at the time that “we weren’t going to win the press conference” when Kill’s appointment was announced, “but that Kill is the best coach for Minnesota.”

“I knew there was a lot of heat on me, because obviously Coach [Tim] Brewster did not succeed and, in fact, the program took a step backwards,” Maturi said. “There were many people that thought that I should not be involved in the decision-making. I just believed we needed to hire somebody that had a history of building programs, which is something that needed to be done here, somebody who was compliant with the rules and the philosophy and someone who could bring it from the ground up and who made people better.”

Kill had done just that every place he had coached, and now he has done the same at Minnesota.

“He doesn’t recruit four- and five-star athletes; in many ways, he couldn’t in the places that he was,” Maturi said. “He just made people better. He made them competitive. I loved the stability of his staff, which was obviously something Coach Brewster did not have. You look at certain strengths that the new coach will hopefully have that the past coach did not have. Jerry was not a flashy name, he was not a flashy person. As I said to President Bruininks, he’s not going to win the press conference, but in my heart I believe he’s the best coach for Minnesota. And then he won the press conference.”

Now that Kill has turned the program around, no doubt he’s the most popular coach in the area today.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/284044071.html

Go Gophers!!

So if Jerry Kill was the best coach for Minnesota, why did not Joel Maturdi hire Kill right out of the block rather than after Hoke, Edsel, Mullen, Patterson ect or others he tried to hire first, when he had to hire Jerry Kil out of desperation?

Maturi deserves zero credit for anything. Thank God he was sent way.

So if Jerry Kill was the best coach for Minnesota, why did not Joel Maturdi hire Kill right out of the block rather than after Hoke, Edsel, Mullen, Patterson ect or others he tried to hire first, when he had to hire Jerry Kil out of desperation?

Maturi deserves zero credit for anything. Thank God he was sent way.

Joel Maturi will always be the AD who gets credit for hiring Jerry Kill and your ignorance and hate will never be able to change that fact. Even Bob Stein, of all people, is publicly giving credit to Maturi for hiring Kill. He did it on KFAN yesterday.

Sid was wrong about one thing. Jerry Kill ​won that press conference.

Joel Maturi will always be the AD who gets credit for hiring Jerry Kill and your ignorance and hate will never be able to change that fact. Even Bob Stein of all people is publicly giving credit to Maturi for hiring Kill. He did it on KFAN yesterday.

History is written by the winners...even if they won by dumb luck. Maturi stumbled into Jerry Kill after 2 months of incompetence and he got lucky. Lets not confuse truth with hatred. And the niceties rambled on the radio 4 years later by folks who see no reason to grind the axe doesn't make it truth, it makes it politically expedient.

Maturi was a blind squirrel finding a nut. He didn't pick Kill out of the gate and would have made a number of other choices had he been given the chance. Fortunately his incompetence may have been beneficial in this instance as he wasn't able to convince any of the others noted above to come (though I'd probably be ok with Patterson as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maturi was a blind squirrel finding a nut. He didn't pick Kill out of the gate and would have made a number of other choices had he been given the chance. Fortunately his incompetence may have been beneficial in this instance as he wasn't able to convince any of the others noted above to come (though I'd probably be ok with Patterson as well).

Maybe he was listening to all the posters at Gopherhole? They demanded that he hire Kill and were ec·stat·ic when he was hired. Oh, yeah, that's not quite right is it..

Not sure what your point is. I don't recall there being another option that would have satisfied the crowd. I think the Gopherholers wanted a marquee name he wasn't capable of pulling in, in the end it appeared to work out for him.

Well, if you guys don't want to give Maturi credit for hiring Kill at least give him credit for firing Glen Mason's ass. Too bad he didn't do it before Mason lost interest in his job and let recruiting go to hell. In addition to leaving Brewster a red shirt freshman QB who had trouble throwing a 10 yard pass without a couple of bounces, Mason left him with three true freshman starting DB's and the worst defense in the country. The Gophers were ranked 119 out of 119 in Total Defense in 2007. Just in case you want to put that all on Brewster, in 2006 (Mason's last year) the Gophers were ranked 112 out of 119 in Total Defense.

Kill was not on top of Maturi's wish list. It was one of his stumbling's that didn't come back and haunt
him.

Well, if you guys don't want to give Maturi credit for hiring Kill at least give him credit for firing Glen Mason's ass. Too bad he didn't do it before Mason lost interest in his job and let recruiting go to hell. In addition to leaving Brewster a red shirt freshman QB who had trouble throwing a 10 yard pass without a couple of bounces, Mason left him with three true freshman starting DB's and the worst defense in the country. The Gophers were ranked 119 out of 119 in Total Defense in 2007. Just in case you want to put that all on Brewster, in 2006 (Mason's last year) the Gophers were ranked 112 out of 119 in Total Defense.

And despite that, won six times as many games as Brewster did the following season.

Not sure what your point is. I don't recall there being another option that would have satisfied the crowd. I think the Gopherholers wanted a marquee name he wasn't capable of pulling in, in the end it appeared to work out for him.

Much like Norwood found out, none of whom wanted to come to Minnesota. Though all their names were added to the A.D. couldn't get list.

Kill's here enjoy the ride and Happy Thanksgiving!

Part of the AD's job is to convince them. I can hire a telemarketer for $10 an hour to just make phone calls.

And despite that, won six times as many games as Brewster did the following season.

Your math is off. The Gophers won only 5 games in 2006. I am sure people like you were really happy with that season. It is one of the reasons why the Gophers haven't won a title since the 1960's. A fan base willing to accept mediocrity from their coaching staff. I was happy Maturi fired Brewster. How come so many Gopher fans think it was a bad idea for him to fire Mason?

Maybe he was listening to all the posters at Gopherhole? They demanded that he hire Kill and were ec·stat·ic when he was hired. Oh, yeah, that's not quite right is it..

After he bombed out on the "names" and Coach Kill surfaced, I was one who was very pleased. All I had to do was a bit of research on his record to realize that he was perfect for the job. Plus his NIU team was very, very impressive in beating the Gophers.

Here is the thing, If Maturi valued hiring someone with a history of building programs with a solid and tenured staff, why the he77 did he bring in Brewster??? Why wasn't that important when he hired Brewster?? Maturi is and always will be a ding-bat.

Your math is off. The Gophers won only 5 games in 2006. I am sure people like you were really happy with that season. It is one of the reasons why the Gophers haven't won a title since the 1960's. A fan base willing to accept mediocrity from their coaching staff. I was happy Maturi fired Brewster. How come so many Gopher fans think it was a bad idea for him to fire Mason?

My math is not off, we won 6 games because we went to a bowl game (I remember that because Mason got fired after setting a record for the biggest blown bowl lead ever). I never said we shouldn't have fired Mason. Mason had to go, he couldn't get us to the next level. That doesn't mean we should have hired Brewster. Having an ineffective coach is not a good reason to replace him with a less effective coach.

My math is not off, we won 6 games because we went to a bowl game (I remember that because Mason got fired after setting a record for the biggest blown bowl lead ever). I never said we shouldn't have fired Mason. Mason had to go, he couldn't get us to the next level. That doesn't mean we should have hired Brewster. Having an ineffective coach is not a good reason to replace him with a less effective coach.

..and now it's another Mason vs. Brewster vs. Kill thread.

Bob Bruininks ordered the hit on the way home from Phoenix. Had that call not come from Eastcliffe, I think Maturi would have kept him.

..and now it's another Mason vs. Brewster vs. Kill thread.

You're right. I let myself fall down this hole. I'm going to focus on the threads about our upcoming divisional championship game against our biggest rival, the biggest game since I graduated high school. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

He gets credit for hiring Kill. Doesn't make him a great AD, it may not balance things out, but if he's the devil, at least give the devil his due.

As Clem Haskins used to say 'even Ray Charles can get a rebound once in a while.'

Maturi stumbled into Jerry Kill after 2 months of incompetence and he got lucky. Lets not confuse truth with hatred. And the niceties rambled on the radio 4 years later by folks who see no reason to grind the axe doesn't make it truth, it makes it politically expedient.

+1

Top Bottom