Cobb won't practice tomorrow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Things not lookin good. We need you Kirkland and Nugget!

Looks like Edwards is fine too if we think that helps.

Not good. Not good at all. Bad. Really Bad. Super Bad. Worse than that. Poop.

Do they normally practice Thanksgiving Day? Serious question.

When there's a game two days away? Yes, of course.

They'll get their turkey meal after, but this isn't Pop Warner. They are 48 hours away from the biggest game in decades for the program.

Go Gophers!!

Thursdays are usually shells or helmets and I believe Coach Kill mentioned taking it easy on the guys from a physicality standpoint. Not uncommon for a senior leader to "miss" practice when banged up. He really won't be either because he's likely standing right there. He'll play.

When there's a game two days away? Yes, of course.

They'll get their turkey meal after, but this isn't Pop Warner. They are 48 hours away from the biggest game in decades for the program.

Go Gophers!!

Amen.

1. I want a healthy Cobb.

2. If Cobb ain't 99% I want fresh legs from 2 or 3 good RBs NOT banged up.

3. We have that in Nugget, Kirklandwood, and Berkley. KJ will get some too, maybe Jones.

the fact that Kill is talking about this so much makes me think he's playing. Also its no revolutionary idea to not practice your bell horse RB on a Thursday

the fact that Kill is talking about this so much makes me think he's playing. Also its no revolutionary idea to not practice your bell horse RB on a Thursday

I am thinking the same as you here.

As a side note: No offense to the person who tweeted it out and not trying to hate, but this is the same exact thing/wording Kill has been using all week. And he is certainly not going to break any news on it one way or another until they hit the field Saturday. Basically, this is really just a rehash of already previously reported news/quotes. Nothing has changed for the bad or the good. It is really all still TBD. Hopefully the TBD will be for the good.

Pretty simple, he is a game time decision.

Pretty simple, he is a game time decision.

I hope they are playing possum with Cobb, but it if he is very questionable after the first couple of carries, then pull the plug. I am sure if he can show he is 80 percent in pregame, Kill will start him regardless of what has been written.
I appreciate what Kirkwood has done over the years, including the crucial run to seal the Nebraska game, but Roderick Williams and Edwards need to get a lot of carries in this game. I don't want to fixate on the so called jet sweep, just give them carries in the same sets Cobb would have had with a few tweaks. I would break tendencies and run #35 wide, and Edwards right up the middle at times.

Edwards can run the ball as a every down back if he is healthy and needs the carries. R. Williams is better than some think. He isn't any slower (not as shifty) than Cobb and can read a hole.

This game is going to come down to if the Minnesota defense can slow down #25, and force the UW QBs to beat them and also make some mistakes. I expect he D backs can cover the limited TE/ WR corp of Wisconsin with man to man coverage. They need to put some heat on the UW QBs, while doing what can be done to keep Gordon under 200.

The second level will be if the O line can beat down the UW D line and open some holes, and if Leidner can ramp up the passing game to the level of the Iowa game. Max Williams, KJ Maye and #4 need to be ready as well, but it comes down to running the ball. Wisconsin has a whole different defense this year and LSU found a way to beat them after a while, although injuries played a role.

If Cobb isn't 100%, you save him for the Ohio State game the following week.

(see what I did there?!)

If Cobb isn't playing, there will be no Ohio State game the following week!

I'm not that pessimistic if Cobb doesn't play, we have good backs to fill in. I agree with others, I don't want a 90% Cobb. We saw that down in Fort Worth. If we win without Cobb, that would really raise some eyebrows.

Win or lose this week, the Gophers are going to be playing in a decent bowl game. If Cobb goes out there this week at less than 100% and agravates the hammy, they could lose him for the bowl game,too. The coaches have to think about what's best long-term- not just this week. A big day for Cobb in the bowl game will not only help the Gophs, but it might move Cobb up on some draft boards. (Including the Vikes, I hope)

I said this in the chatroom during the Neb game: losing your horse back there isn't ideal by any stretch, but...

very often, on a well coached team who won't panic, this will galvanize and re-focus the rest of the offense. Analogous to the pulled-goalie in hockey: motivated teams will respond positively.

The offense certainly wasn't playing poorly before Cobb went down, but you could sense that each of them, to a man, needed to pull more than their usual weight once he did: the end result was (don't throw me under the bus, now) possibly even better than it would have been had Cobb not been injured.

I but Roderick Williams and Edwards need to get a lot of carries in this game. I don't want to fixate on the so called jet sweep, just give them carries in the same sets Cobb would have had with a few tweaks. I would break tendencies and run #35 wide, and Edwards right up the middle at times.

Edwards can run the ball as a every down back if he is healthy and needs the carries. R. Williams is better than some think. He isn't any slower (not as shifty) than Cobb and can read a hole.

I am not sure what you have seen in Edwards but he has done nothing all year. He also may be concussed. It will b e Kirkwood and Williams if Cobb can't go. Hopefully they can be productive.

The key to this game will be efficiency on offense and a very strong defense. As important as Cobb has been throughout this season, I think we can win this game without him (assuming we get decent performances out of Williams and Kirkwood).

Win or lose this week, the Gophers are going to be playing in a decent bowl game. If Cobb goes out there this week at less than 100% and agravates the hammy, they could lose him for the bowl game,too. The coaches have to think about what's best long-term- not just this week. A big day for Cobb in the bowl game will not only help the Gophs, but it might move Cobb up on some draft boards. (Including the Vikes, I hope)

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I would much rather beat the Badgers and have a chance at the B1G title than win whatever bowl game we end up in. If Cobb is able to play on Saturday even at less than 90%, I would rather roll the dice and see him out there even if it costs him the bowl game as a result.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I would much rather beat the Badgers and have a chance at the B1G title than win whatever bowl game we end up in. If Cobb is able to play on Saturday even at less than 90%, I would rather roll the dice and see him out there even if it costs him the bowl game as a result.

I don't think playing him injured does us any favors. As good as Cobb is, I don't think he'd be any better than a healthy Williams or Kirkwood if he's at 80%.

I don't think playing him injured does us any favors. As good as Cobb is, I don't think he'd be any better than a healthy Williams or Kirkwood if he's at 80%.

You might be right, but I just get the feeling that Cobb being out on the field means so much more to our offense than just his ability as a runner. If he's out of the lineup, I think our play-action loses a lot of its effectiveness. Wisconsin probably isn't nearly as worried about Williams or Kirkwood breaking off a big run. If Cobb isn't going to play, I at least hope Edwards is available to come in occasionally as a big-play threat.

I said this in the chatroom during the Neb game: losing your horse back there isn't ideal by any stretch, but...

very often, on a well coached team who won't panic, this will galvanize and re-focus the rest of the offense. Analogous to the pulled-goalie in hockey: motivated teams will respond positively.

The offense certainly wasn't playing poorly before Cobb went down, but you could sense that each of them, to a man, needed to pull more than their usual weight once he did: the end result was (don't throw me under the bus, now) possibly even better than it would have been had Cobb not been injured.

Spare Cobb for when it matters for him and the team in a bowl game.

This is gut check time for the Gophers. Play the next men up. I sense an air of confidence in the players. The Gophers band of brothers will win or lose as a team.

You might be right, but I just get the feeling that Cobb being out on the field means so much more to our offense than just his ability as a runner. If he's out of the lineup, I think our play-action loses a lot of its effectiveness. Wisconsin probably isn't nearly as worried about Williams or Kirkwood breaking off a big run. If Cobb isn't going to play, I at least hope Edwards is available to come in occasionally as a big-play threat.

And if he's hobbled it will take about 3 plays for the Badgers to see that he's not a threat.

Our offensive line opens up some nice holes for Cobb though. They don't get nearly enough credit for his success. I think if the O-Line brings their A-game on Saturday, the running game can still be strong (not as strong, but strong nonetheless) without Cobb.

Cobb not listed on the depth chart. Questionable on the Injury Report.

I think the real question here is: which one of them runs the best flea flicker?

The beauty of the flea flicker is it almost doesn't matter. Wisconsin will have no clue what to do. 10-12 times for sure. By the time they figure it out we will be over 50-points. Easy. Then we keep it on the run.... bam - more TDs!!!

Top Bottom