Quad City Times: Despite growth, Kill says Gophers haven't arrived

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Quad City Times:

Jerry Kill expected success.

The Minnesota football coach just didn’t expect it this soon.

“To get done what we’ve been able to get done in four years is a credit to the kids and the way they have bought into what we’re trying to do,’’ said Kill, whose team visits Wisconsin on Saturday with a share of the Big Ten West Division title and a spot in the Big Ten championship game on the line.

“This team has played hard and they’ve done a lot of good things, but there is still more out there. We’re not there yet.’’

http://qctimes.com/sports/football/...cle_cd5d738c-29ac-5198-8d08-6c51a9599657.html

Go Gophers!!

What I think he means is that until they produce a QB like Chandler Harnish or with that type of success this team will not be a legitimate contender to make some serious noise.

I think this coaching staff wants to play for / win a national title. We don't have the horses yet.

That's the scary thing about the success they've had this year already. This team isn't really close to where I think they're headed. Think about it...

For MOST of this year's upperclassmen (outside of JUCO's and a few others), the brunt of their recruitment took place during back-to-back 3-9 seasons. Imagine how difficult it is to recruit to back-to-back 3-9 seasons.

The level of talent and the caliber of players is going to incrementally go up. It won't be immediate but each year, the classes will be a LITTLE bit better, a little bit better. Safe to say we're already starting to see that.

The talent is GOING to get better. The product on the field is GOING to get better. I still think they are a year or two away but this year was something I think few expected, at least I certainly didn't.

I think this coaching staff wants to play for / win a national title. We don't have the horses yet.

Now! Dasher, now! Dancer, now! Prancer, and Vixen,
"On! Comet, on! Cupid, on! Donner and Blitzen;
"To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
"Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

He continues to mention the red shirting of the WR's. Kill truly believes they can be special on both sides of the ball. We are still pretty young.

Top Bottom