Scouting Report: The Book On MN - From Milwaukee Journal

Iceland12

Reaction score
Minnesota's offensive line, which features Kenosha Tremper graduate Zac Epping at left guard, is physical.
Tailback David Cobb (1,430 rushing yards and 129 receiving yards) is a tough runner who rarely goes down on first contact. He suffered a hamstring injury last week at Nebraska but will try to play.
If Cobb is limited or out, the Gophers will have to turn to others to carry the running game, which generates 4.8 yards per carry and 228.9 yards per game.
Reserves Donnell Kirkwood (7 carries, 32 yards,) Rodrick Williams (3-22) and Berkley Edwards (2-11) helped compensate for the loss of Cobb against the Cornhuskers. Williams scored on a 19-yard run late in the third quarter, on fourth and 1, to help Minnesota pull within 24-21.
Quarterback Mitch Leidner led the way with 22 carries for 111 yards and two touchdowns. He scored the game-winner from 3 yards to cap a 10-play, 80-yard drive.
Leidner runs the read-option effectively and averages 4.0 yards per carry and 40.8 yards per game. He has completed only 51.1% of his passes but can hit big throws when given time.
His favorite target by far is Maxx Williams, arguably the best tight end in the Big Ten. Williams leads the Gophers in catches (28), receiving yards (418) and touchdown catches (seven). He can make tough catches in traffic and gets yards after the reception.
[h=3]DEFENSE[/h]Minnesota's defense is athletic and physical, and forces turnovers. The Gophers are second in the Big Ten in turnovers forced (27) and turnover margin (plus-11). Those turnovers have led to 94 points.
"They have great speed," Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen said. "They're the fastest team overall we've seen on defense all year long."
Junior Briean Boddy-Calhoun, who can play cornerback or safety, is a ball hawk. He leads the team in interceptions (four) and passes defended (11) and is tied for the team lead in forced fumbles (two).
He ripped the ball from the hands of Nebraska wide receiver De'Mornay Pierson-El with 1 minute, 19 seconds left in the game to preserve the four-point victory. He was named the Big Ten co-defensive player of the week for his performance at Nebraska.
Minnesota's front four is stout and does a good job occupying blockers for the linebackers. Senior tackle Cameron Botticelli, from Marquette High School, leads the linemen and is second on the team in tackles for loss (7.5).
Damien Wilson is the most disruptive of the linebackers. He leads the team in tackles for loss (10), total tackles (103) and sacks (4). Linebacker De'Vondre Campbell also is around the ball often. He has a team-high three fumble recoveries, 61/2 tackles for loss, an interception and is second on the team in total tackles with 65.
Look for those two and safety Cedric Thompson (65 tackles) to attack the line of scrimmage in an effort to slow UW's Melvin Gordon..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badg...-book-on-minnesota-b99397344z1-283922831.html

I've read several comments on Wisconsin boards this week mentioning the Gophers' "slow" defense. Newsflash: People just make assumptions and blurt things as if they are facts on message boards.

The overall improvement in team speed (especially on defense) is the second most visible improvement under coach Kill, next to generic "toughness", in my opinion.

I've read several comments on Wisconsin boards this week mentioning the Gophers' "slow" defense. Newsflash: People just make assumptions and blurt things as if they are facts on message boards.

The overall improvement in team speed (especially on defense) is the second most visible improvement under coach Kill, next to generic "toughness", in my opinion.

I don't know why they would say that, when Gary Andersen says we will be the fastest team on defense they have seen all year.
Much respect for Minnesota. They're playing in my opinion great football all year long, done a tremendous job of recruiting. They have great speed. It's the fastest team overall I think on defense we've seen all year long. Very, very talented.

That is my point. My point is fans tend to call upon their limited knowledge (which is usually built on past experiences) and then spew their opinions as facts on message boards.

Plenty of this with every message board for every team.

Anderson's comments in the article are the reason I brought it up here.

That is my point. My point is fans tend to call upon their limited knowledge (which is usually built on past experiences) and then spew their opinions as facts on message boards.

Plenty of this with every message board for every team.

Anderson's comments in the article are the reason I brought it up here.

That is why GH is so good. We don't do that here.

Absolutely! Nothing but facts and spot-on opinions here. :)

They saw a QB from OSU run 80 yards for a TD and that is likely to only play they saw all year.

fans and most so called experts dont take the time to dive into teams like Minnesota. they think we are still playing like Mason and Brewster teams.

I like it that way, it makes a game like last week even better.

anyone catch on TV Bo's expression when KJ caught that longer pass? it reminded me of those looks Mason had during those losses that seem to come out of nowhere but surely helped cost him his job

Top Bottom