Kirkwood on U students wearing Badger clothes

I don't see anything surprising here. Everyone knows that fans like to support winning teams.

Yeah that is disgusting. I think we would have given our fellow students a hard time for wearing that lame candy ass **** back when we were students.

Don't think we don't..I know last year when I was in the dorms/dining hall we would openly give people crap sitting near us if they were wearing Badger or Iowa stuff. Not dropping f-bombs on them but we would call them out on it and ask them why they would commit such an atrocity on campus. Last year I gave a girl from Iowa an old Gopher shirt at a party the night we lost to them because I felt bad for people harassing her for wearing hers (and they say chivalry is dead..). If she was wearing Badger gear she wouldn't have even made it through the front door.

I wear Gophers stuff all the time and I go to UMD

Don't think we don't..I know last year when I was in the dorms/dining hall we would openly give people crap sitting near us if they were wearing Badger or Iowa stuff. Not dropping f-bombs on them but we would call them out on it and ask them why they would commit such an atrocity on campus. Last year I gave a girl from Iowa an old Gopher shirt at a party the night we lost to them because I felt bad for people harassing her for wearing hers (and they say chivalry is dead..). If she was wearing Badger gear she wouldn't have even made it through the front door.

The fire is still alive!! Now get that Axe!!

When I see someone wearing ugly badger gear, I just think they are uglier under it.

Now I know where all of the 400px-University_of_Wisconsin_Waving_W.svg.jpgHITE TRASH comes from.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it (i.e. wearing other team logo). I mutter "idiot" under my breath, but I'm always happy to have people around me that love college football. After all, if there wasn't a following for other teams, who would we beat while they willingly support our economy.

What would happen in College Station if there was someone in burnt orange on campus?

People would probably give him spare change or a sandwich, assuming that the person is homeless and must have picked up the only shirt that fit him at Goodwill.

I think it's a little different if you don't have a D1 football or basketball team.

I agree, it's different. For some, the hockey rivalry spills over to other sports, even though we don't play them in anything but hockey. But others can happily be fans of both, except for hockey.

I think it's a little different if you don't have a D1 football or basketball team.

Agreed. I was up in St. Cloud last winter to see St. Cloud play NoDak in hockey (went with a friend that's a St. Cloud fan - plus it's easy to cheer against NoDak) and at the bar almost all the St. Cloud fans were cheering for the Gophers in the basketball game that was on TV.

Public shaming and pointing at all U students that wear Bucky gear is not a bad thing. The more they are chastised the more the many from buckyland will start to realize your part of the U when you pay tuition and graduate, time to part with childhood loyalties even if it is hard. All other sports holding on to those things is fine, but in college Sports it should always be alma mater first.
I know plenty of people that grew up here and went to school over there and they support Bucky, it is supposed to be school first for undergraduates, if they are graduate students then I get why they would not change.

Typical Wisconsinite that dwells in Minneapolis: Badger football/basketball fan - Gopher Hockey fan - Packer fan - Wild fan - Twolves fan - Twins fan (maybe they claim the Brewers now that the Twins are awful). These are the worst people imaginable...either be a fan of Wisconsin sports or embrace the state the saved you.

Whenever I see students wearing BADger clothes I assume they are wearing them so I can throw the clothing off the bridge... I can't think of any other reason.

When ever, where ever I come across someone wearing a sweatshirt, t shirt, hat with the colors of that team from down south, or out east the first thing I say is Excuse Me. Did you go to X? If not, get with the program. This is Minnesota. When I saw granddaughter husker wearing a Sweatshirt from Michigan, I asked where did you get that? Next, lets go shopping.

When ever, where ever I come across someone wearing a sweatshirt, t shirt, hat with the colors of that team from down south, or out east the first thing I say is Excuse Me. Did you go to X? If not, get with the program. This is Minnesota. When I saw granddaughter husker wearing a Sweatshirt from Michigan, I asked where did you get that? Next, lets go shopping.

Internet high five! Something Bucky can't do.

Unbelievable. If you can't take pride in the school that you are attending then why even bother showing up...you have no hope in life. Seriously, in my day had I seen someone walking around OUR campus in a Badger sweatshirt I would have tackled them.

although I went to UND for two years and SCSU for two years prior to my MBA at St Thomas, I ALWAYS wore maroon and gold...not on campus though. that's idiotic and and just plain disrespectful-and back in my day, just asking for a beatdown!

Shooting them is a little harsh. They should definitely be shamed though. I'm sure though that nobody says a word to them.

Hey, Dr. Literal, did you really think he was serious?
And I'm not sure if it is harsh. I have neighbors who have Skunk and Buckhead flags out front. Move to those sh+t states if you love them so much

Unbelievable. If you can't take pride in the school that you are attending then why even bother showing up...you have no hope in life.

Dude, it's a school, not Blood for everyone. Lighten up. People like to fly their colors. Except for Hill-Murray gear, which is ALWAYS in bad taste.

I agree, it's different. For some, the hockey rivalry spills over to other sports, even though we don't play them in anything but hockey. But others can happily be fans of both, except for hockey.

Very true.

Hockey should have stayed in Canada.

It all goes back to this map. Minnesota is CFB apathetic and has been for a long time.
Wisconsin residents are born and bred to be nuts about the Badgers and the Packers. Have none of you ever been to the State before?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html?smid=fb-share&abt=0002&abg=1

View attachment 3159

There is no way that map is correct. There is not more Badger fans in the Twin Cities than Gopher fans. I think that is all based on facebook comments or likes so the accuracy is probably not very good.

There are plenty of people who grow up Gopher fans who choose to attend UW-Madison (and still remain Gopher fans). Some people choose to put their academic interests first and worry less about sports teams and rivalries when they're choosing a college and making a decision which will affect their future. What a terrible thing, right?!

While I don't like seeing kids on campus wearing Badger stuff I do think the part in bold is a key point. The simple fact of the matter is that for a lot of kids in Wisconsin it is cheaper and more convenient location wise to go to the U then it is to go to Madison. They just see the U as a place to get their degree but don't have an attachment to the school itself or the teams. Again I don't like it and think it is in bad taste to wear your rivals stuff around but I can understand why the attachment isn't there.

I think for me having grown up in Minnesota if I had attended college in Madison I would have remained a Gopher fan based on having rooted for them growing up. I am sure there are people wearing Minnesota gear around campus in Madision there are probably just a lot fewer of them because it is not nearly as easy for Minnesota kids to go to Madison again based on cost and location.

Top Bottom