Gopher vs. Becky-TV ratings

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
Hadn't seen this mentioned.

"The Minnesota/Nebraska college football game drew a 2.0 overnight rating on ESPN Saturday afternoon, up 11% from Michigan State/Northwestern last year (1.8), and the network’s top game of the week. This week was the first in over a month in which the SEC was not ESPN’s top draw. Arizona/Utah drew a 0.9 later in the afternoon, down 25% from Wisconsin/Minnesota last year (1.2). Shifting to primetime, Tennessee/Missouri drew a 1.8 — up 29% from last year’s Missouri/Mississippi game (1.4)." (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...nbcsn-epl-nbc/)

I wonder if with all the rivalry games Fri/Sat we will be the most watched game again. Lots of hype and anticipation.

Anyone know which has been the most watched B1G game this season? I bet this beats any other 2014 B1G game.

Minnesota/Wisconsin will have paltry ratings, simply because it's on BTN. It might get OK local TV ratings, but nationally it won't be a blip on the radar.

The most-watched B1G game this year was Ohio State-Michigan State; it had a 3.9 rating and 6.83M viewers. Number two was Michigan State-Oregon; 3.5 rating with 5.98M viewers. Number three was Ohio State-Minnesota; 3.7 rating with 5.73M viewers. Saturday's game won't come anywhere close to those.

Source

Makes sense. What's the highest national ratings a BTN game has received this season?

Makes sense. What's the highest national ratings a BTN game has received this season?

I think it was Rutgers-Penn State, but I have no idea (numbers are tough to find for this one). That game did a 4.4 rating in Philly and a 2.2 in NYC which is really quite good. But if that's the rating in the local markets, the national score is going to be lower.

This is an older number, and not football related, but in February 2013 the network set a record for viewership in their metered markets (Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis) with a .88 HH rating. So .88 HH rating in those midwest markets = way less in the national.

I will say the Gophers-Badgers game will almost certainly be the highest-rated game in BTN history. But even then, there's just not enough national viewers to make an impact.

Hadn't seen this mentioned.

"The Minnesota/Nebraska college football game drew a 2.0 overnight rating on ESPN Saturday afternoon, up 11% from Michigan State/Northwestern last year (1.8), and the network’s top game of the week. This week was the first in over a month in which the SEC was not ESPN’s top draw. Arizona/Utah drew a 0.9 later in the afternoon, down 25% from Wisconsin/Minnesota last year (1.2). Shifting to primetime, Tennessee/Missouri drew a 1.8 — up 29% from last year’s Missouri/Mississippi game (1.4)." (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...nbcsn-epl-nbc/)

I wonder if with all the rivalry games Fri/Sat we will be the most watched game again. Lots of hype and anticipation.

Anyone know which has been the most watched B1G game this season? I bet this beats any other 2014 B1G game.

The SEC plays almost exclusively 1AA opponents the penultimate week of the regular season so it's not surprising they didn't get any eyeballs.

I think it was Rutgers-Penn State, but I have no idea (numbers are tough to find for this one). That game did a 4.4 rating in Philly and a 2.2 in NYC which is really quite good. But if that's the rating in the local markets, the national score is going to be lower.

This is an older number, and not football related, but in February 2013 the network set a record for viewership in their metered markets (Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis) with a .88 HH rating. So .88 HH rating in those midwest markets = way less in the national.

I will say the Gophers-Badgers game will almost certainly be the highest-rated game in BTN history. But even then, there's just not enough national viewers to make an impact.

I would think the Philly & NYC ratings would carry RU-PSU game to the record.

So with the game being on BTN, will that even reach 1/3 of the bars/households in the USA that have cable/sat tv? I feel bad for our friends in the SEC that they won't be able to watch this game before their Iron bowl.

As long as you have Directv, BTN is included on pretty standard packages in all parts of the country.

Top Bottom