AP: Joining the B1G has been beneficial for Maryland and Rutgers and the conf itself

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

On the field and at the ticket window, Maryland and Rutgers have enjoyed a successful inaugural season in the Big Ten.

Maryland has already attracted two sellout crowds, and attendance is up 19 percent from last year heading into Saturday's home finale against Rutgers.

The Terrapins and Scarlet Knights both have winning records and are bowl eligible.

Rutgers coach Kyle Flood says the move to the Big Ten created "more excitement about our program," which set several home attendance records this season.

Many other coaches in the Big Ten seem delighted with the conference's expansion along the East Coast.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz says, "Both schools bring an awful lot to the conference. It's a win-win situation, hopefully for everybody."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/283873451.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I like that the one example of Maryland and Rutgers joining up is beneficial on the whole is Kirk Ferentz's throw away statement about bringing an 'awful lot to the conference'.

Well, I'm satisfied. What a great acquisition for the Conference!

Seriously though, couldn't they at least have cited how B1G revenues are up and given some numbers at least. Quit treating us like idiots, this move was always about making more money. At least tell us how much.

I like that the one example of Maryland and Rutgers joining up is beneficial on the whole is Kirk Ferentz's throw away statement about bringing an 'awful lot to the conference'.

Well, I'm satisfied. What a great acquisition for the Conference!

Seriously though, couldn't they at least have cited how B1G revenues are up and given some numbers at least. Quit treating us like idiots, this move was always about making more money. At least tell us how much.

I believe they won't fully know until they begin to renegotiate deals/contracts to a large extent. Sure there's the incremental revenue from adding additional market penetration for the B1G Network but the big gains will be when they renegotiate for 2017-2018. It's a good deal, all around.

That was really the emptiest, most worthless article I've read in quite some time.

I'm still waiting to see if its a good deal for me, the fan. But I'm pretty sure Delany didn't have me in mind when this deal got done. Or hockey.

You, the fan, wants to continue to see high quality athletics. You, the fan, wants the university to continue to upgrade facilities, pay top coaches and compete against all others. Pretty sure Delany has you in mind when making decisions that impact the bottom line of his member schools.

All I know is that both Maryland and Rutgers have provided zero additional entertainment on the field. Hopefully their stay in the Big Ten is a short one.

All I know is that both Maryland and Rutgers have provided zero additional entertainment on the field. Hopefully their stay in the Big Ten is a short one.

Gave the Badgers a couple of wins though didn't they?

Some of you really need to get off this line. They are part of the B1G now and are not going anywhere. Embrace it or simply just accept it already, because it isn't changing regardless of bitching. Imo, over time I believe it will have proved to be a good move for the B1G.

Maryland is a fine addition. Rutgers sucks at football and basketball. Their addition provides nothing in terms of competition.

I'm still waiting to see if its a good deal for me, the fan. But I'm pretty sure Delany didn't have me in mind when this deal got done. Or hockey.

We the fan don't count. This era is not your grandpa's Big Ten anymore.

Some of you really need to get off this line. They are part of the B1G now and are not going anywhere. Embrace it or simply just accept it already, because it isn't changing regardless of bitching. Imo, over time I believe it will have proved to be a good move for the B1G.

I choose to embrace it. It is the world we live in as far as college athletics goes.

I'm a fan. Getting the DC market and part of the NY market is huge.

These "brands" are only going to elevate their status over the next 10 - 20 years.

The only way the Big Ten will continue to compete at the highest levels is through the media markets they are present in.
Creating national brands out of these schools will only help all the teams in the Big Ten.

The other thing to consider about competition value is that they will get better. Maybe they won't be good year one. (Maryland is good at basketball) but they should benefit from conference affiliation. They will get better and should have their good and bad years like anyone else.

From GopherBandana Guy:

Well Hockey is mostly not relevant to most of the country so who really cares. What bunch of tools up in Grand Forks or so called regular (based upon my experience with hockey parents there are no normal hockey fans) hockey fans in Bemidji concern themselves with does not really matter to me, or the mainstream of the Big Ten.
In fact the whole false and promoted by some in a fraudulent way "Minnesota is a hockey state" and therefore less of a basketball state mentality has in general hurt the U of M Big Ten brand.

Regardless, getting a TV market wall for the Big Ten Network into massive east coast recruiting areas, and huge TV markets where large numbers of key Big Ten Alumni bases live is huge.

Watch the numbers of original Big Ten Conference fans that show up in NYC, DC, Philly and other points east for BB tourneys and road BB and FB games in future years. Look the that the Iowa game at Maryland this year, it was a huge turnout. There were more Iowa fans at Maryland this year than at TCF! Big Ten fans fit with the East, cowtowns like Manhattan KS, Ames Ia, Stillwater OK or other miserable outposts would are not a good fit wth the Big Ten. Those places fit better with the NDSU Bison in some S>>>hole conference.

Delaney is a genius, and Norwood would agree.

Getting back to Hockey, it must be extremely expensive to maintain a DI Hockey program, otherwise I would think Big Ten teams in NHL heavy areas like Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern and Illinois would be itching to add Big Ten Hockey, since as we often are told hockey is a big deal, not a marginal niche sport like lacrosse.

I'd like the Hockey is #1 people to explain some of this to us.

Getting back to Hockey, it must be extremely expensive to maintain a DI Hockey program, otherwise I would think Big Ten teams in NHL heavy areas like Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern and Illinois would be itching to add Big Ten Hockey, since as we often are told hockey is a big deal, not a marginal niche sport like lacrosse.

Ice hockey is every bit as niche as lacrosse, but lacrosse is a lot more widespread. Obviously Title IX is a barrier to both.

Speaking of which, we wouldn't have Big 10 Lacrosse without Rutgers and Maryland (and Hopkins). 2015 is the first season of conference play.

Top Bottom