The origin of "Becky" instead of Bucky.

Reaction score
As many of you know going on 3 years now I was a pretty regular visitor on the Buckyville site. Schnauzer and several others chastised me for trolling on the site and as Schnauzer said : " making an ass out of myself " ( rightly so ) Now many of you probably think I still make an ass out of myself on this site. At least I keep it local! Anyway, when I was on the Buckyville site the tit for tat that went on I started referring it too Beckyville because the way the mascot prances around it looked like it might be a little lite in the shoes. The Winter 3 years ago we were staying on the 30A
corridor in the Florida Panhandle. My wife and I love the golfing in that area, so on one particular day we booked a tee time at Windswept Dunes, a links type course in Freeport, Florida. They put us with another couple and much to my chagrin the couple were dressed to the nines in full Becky gear; including matching golf bags. As we approached them my wife leaned over and said: " Now honey be nice " They were a couple I would say in their late 50's and after general introductions seemed pretty nice. I just couldn't resist. I looked at the mascot logo on the bag and said: Isn't that
Becky Badger"? They replied: "Oh, no,no, no. That's Bucky Badger" So about 4 holes later I said: " How is Becky going to do this year" ? His wife chuckled and again said: Hee,hee, ha, ha. It's Bucky!
I said: "Oh, yeh,yeh. I mean Bucky" As we're driving down the fairway my wife says: "Honey, stop it.
I know what you're trying to do" They were really a nice couple and started telling us about their kids all graduating from Wisconsin. I said: "Are they big Becky fans like you are"? Oh yes they replied, not even acknowledging I had referenced "Becky " again. My wife rolled her eyes. I casually
repeated it one more time in regards to where they got the golf bags. Again, the "Becky" reference
rolled right over their heads. My wife and I both have Gopher golf bags and we indicated our strong
U of M support and yet they were so naive on my jerking their chain. My wife said as we were pulling out of the parking lot: " I can't believe you got away with that without some retaliation"
I said: " Yup, not the sharpest knives in the drawers, or they were the turn the other cheek type "
Funny thing, they wanted to hook up with us again. If we had, the husband might have figured it out and drilled me. He was a pretty big dude. True story folks.

HAHA. Great story.

That reminds me of a time I encountered a few Becky fans on vacation. It was about 12 years ago and we were visiting the Royal Gorge suspension bridge in Colorado. I had my Gopher T-shirt on and encountered a rather large couple with their red Badger gear on. Both were your stereotypical 250 (for the lady) and 350lb rubes. We exchanged a few greetings, "good luck this year...yada yada yada" and went on our way. We made it all the way to the end of the bridge and were about 2/3 back when we saw them again. They were still on their first way across and looked to be struggling with the walk. Both were so flushed their faces matched their shirts.

As many of you know going on 3 years now I was a pretty regular visitor on the Buckyville site. Schnauzer and several others chastised me for trolling on the site and as Schnauzer said : " making an ass out of myself " ( rightly so ) Now many of you probably think I still make an ass out of myself on this site. At least I keep it local! Anyway, when I was on the Buckyville site the tit for tat that went on I started referring it too Beckyville because the way the mascot prances around it looked like it might be a little lite in the shoes. The Winter 3 years ago we were staying on the 30A
corridor in the Florida Panhandle. My wife and I love the golfing in that area, so on one particular day we booked a tee time at Windswept Dunes, a links type course in Freeport, Florida. They put us with another couple and much to my chagrin the couple were dressed to the nines in full Becky gear; including matching golf bags. As we approached them my wife leaned over and said: " Now honey be nice " They were a couple I would say in their late 50's and after general introductions seemed pretty nice. I just couldn't resist. I looked at the mascot logo on the bag and said: Isn't that
Becky Badger"? They replied: "Oh, no,no, no. That's Bucky Badger" So about 4 holes later I said: " How is Becky going to do this year" ? His wife chuckled and again said: Hee,hee, ha, ha. It's Bucky!
I said: "Oh, yeh,yeh. I mean Bucky" As we're driving down the fairway my wife says: "Honey, stop it.
I know what you're trying to do" They were really a nice couple and started telling us about their kids all graduating from Wisconsin. I said: "Are they big Becky fans like you are"? Oh yes they replied, not even acknowledging I had referenced "Becky " again. My wife rolled her eyes. I casually
repeated it one more time in regards to where they got the golf bags. Again, the "Becky" reference
rolled right over their heads. My wife and I both have Gopher golf bags and we indicated our strong
U of M support and yet they were so naive on my jerking their chain. My wife said as we were pulling out of the parking lot: " I can't believe you got away with that without some retaliation"
I said: " Yup, not the sharpest knives in the drawers, or they were the turn the other cheek type "
Funny thing, they wanted to hook up with us again. If we had, the husband might have figured it out and drilled me. He was a pretty big dude. True story folks.

Does assigning a female name to them make for an awesome insult in your world, rooppie? Do you think that lowly of women? Would explain a lot. You are a pathetic excuse for a Gopher fan.

Did you later threaten to fight him in the Mall of America parking lot? That would be on par with your previous exploits.

Why do you continue to do this to yourself Ruppert? Love your enthusiasm and love for our Gophers, really do, but come on man. You must know each time you are just putting a giant target on yourself when you throw this kind of hyperbolic (and usually somewhat over the top and a bit outlandish) stuff out there. Again, love your enthusiasm for our Gophers. Don't ever lose it no matter what anyone here or elsewhere says. Just maybe consider a slightly different approach when it comes to your Minnesota/Wisconsin posting pursuits.

That said, will say one thing I know we can all agree on whether we agree with your posting style or not: Go Gophers! Beat Wisconsin! Ski-U-Mah!

Rupert is a key part of badger week. I love hearing about his hulking football playing son staring down hecklers in Madison. The revelation that his wife is a gourmet cook is a highlight of this years antics so far. Let her rip Rupert.

Did you later threaten to fight him in the Mall of America parking lot? That would be on par with your previous exploits.

Sir, you are wrong. I don't pay to be on a site.You have accused me before of being said person. Talk is cheap and pure conjecture on your part.

If Ruppert's wife was a gourmet cook she would surely appreciate the dining scene in Madison. Unless of course he keeps her chained up in the basement.

Why do you continue to do this to yourself Ruppert? Love your enthusiasm and love for our Gophers, really do, but come on man. You must know each time you are just putting a giant target on yourself when you throw this kind of hyperbolic (and usually somewhat over the top and a bit outlandish) stuff out there. Again, love your enthusiasm for our Gophers. Don't ever lose it no matter what anyone here or elsewhere says. Just maybe consider a slightly different approach when it comes to your Minnesota/Wisconsin posting pursuits.

That said, will say one thing I know we can all agree on whether we agree with your posting style or not: Go Gophers! Beat Wisconsin! Ski-U-Mah!

My good man this is a true story word for word. I put it on here as part of Badger Week.

It may be a true story but it still makes you look like an ass. :)

An ass would've told the couple how gullible they were. I let them wallow in the stupidity of the moment. If it were reversed that is where the term " ass " would surface because it is common knowledge among B1G fans that the majority of the Badger fan base are complete a-holes. By the way, how do you cook your Badger for Thanksgiving?

Sir, you are wrong. I don't pay to be on a site.You have accused me before of being said person. Talk is cheap and pure conjecture on your part.

You may not pay now but you sure did back in the day. I'm dead solid positive on this. If anyone should be called out for cheap talk it's you, Mr. Internet Tough Guy.

So many classic Ruppert comments in one post. I don't even know where to start.

Sexist, homophobic, and just mind numbing stupidity all wrapped into one boring story.

So many classic Ruppert comments in one post. I don't even know where to start.

Sexist, homophobic, and just mind numbing stupidity all wrapped into one boring story.

Nothings changed since his infamous GI days.

Wait I'm a little confused. Is Ruppert actually claiming he's the one who came up with Becky?? And that's his story that proves it?

Wait I'm a little confused. Is Ruppert actually claiming he's the one who came up with Becky?? And that's his story that proves it?

I believe I did on this site. If someone other than Beckyville chimes in and proves me wrong I'll stand corrected.

Why don't some of you just meet in a parking lot and get all this posturing over with. ;-)

An ass would've told the couple how gullible they were. I let them wallow in the stupidity of the moment. If it were reversed that is where the term " ass " would surface because it is common knowledge among B1G fans that the majority of the Badger fan base are complete a-holes. By the way, how do you cook your Badger for Thanksgiving?

It's possible that you're not as clever as you think you are. Perhaps they are simply nice people who chose to ignore your "whit" rather than deal with an unnecessary confrontation. The annoying part to many isn't that you may be making it up, it's that you think being a total jerk to complete strangers and bragging about it is something that would impress us. I feel sorry that you don't recognize your own ******-baggery.

I believe I did on this site. If someone other than Beckyville chimes in and proves me wrong I'll stand corrected.

Sorry but Gopher fans have been referring to them as "Becky" since I can remember and I'm 38. I know Gopher hockey fans were referring to them as "Becky" in the '80s and probably long before that.

Why don't some of you just meet in a parking lot and get all this posturing over with. ;-)

I've already extended an olive branch to Rupert years ago to catch a basketball game at one of the fine Florida Panhandle watering holes. He declined by making disparaging remarks about the military (i'm a veteran) and about the economic status of the residents of the city I lived in. Rupert is a great source of entertainment so I've moved past being slighted by a guy who wished ill will on a GI poster who had cancer.

It's possible that you're not as clever as you think you are. Perhaps they are simply nice people who chose to ignore your "whit" rather than deal with an unnecessary confrontation. The annoying part to many isn't that you may be making it up, it's that you think being a total jerk to complete strangers and bragging about it is something that would impress us. I feel sorry that you don't recognize your own ******-baggery.
Selective reading on your part. I said they wanted to get together again. I would venture to guess if we were jerks they wouldn't have asked us to golf again. And by the way, have you ever been to Madison and experienced the wrath of vulgarity spewed be their fans? And I'm a jerk?

I've already extended an olive branch to Rupert years ago to catch a basketball game at one of the fine Florida Panhandle watering holes. He declined by making disparaging remarks about the military (i'm a veteran) and about the economic status of the residents of the city I lived in. Rupert is a great source of entertainment so I've moved past being slighted by a guy who wished ill will on a GI poster who had cancer.

This whole Ruppert character is a parody, right? Some longstanding joke that everyone is sort of in on cautiously? Or at the very least he's just a normal guy with a quirky sense of humor that likes to make up a persona online for a good chuckle out of others' reactions to it?

Classic D-Baggery by a classic D-Bag.

This whole Ruppert character is a parody, right? Some longstanding joke that everyone is sort of in on cautiously? Or at the very least he's just a normal guy with a quirky sense of humor that likes to make up a persona online for a good chuckle out of others' reactions to it?

The Gophers very own Carl Gerbschmidt.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. My uncle fought in the Battle of the Bulge. I'll will on a GI? I'm as patriotic
as you can get. My good man you have a serious hate problem on the wrong guy. I feel bad for you.

Top Bottom