Daquein McNeil has been arrested for domestic assault

Have you read the allegations? It sounds terrible. Really hoping this was embellished by the girlfriend (highly doubt it though...she has significant bruising, etc). If not (likely) send his sorry butt packin.

I just saw the allegations. Ugly stuff. Thoughts and prayers first & foremost to the young woman.

Didn't Pitino talk about how he's too quiet and lacks confidence? Contrast that with this....Yikes.

I'm no psychologist, but the kid probably has some undiagnosed mental/emotional problems. He has been through alot with the deaths of both his parents, but that is not even remotely an excuse to do something like this.

Yeah...if this is true, no doubt he's gone as he should be. It's hard to even read that stuff without cringing. Like what in the world is going on in your head that you think that's acceptable to do that to a woman, or anyone quite frankly?

Based on the details in the police report, he's lucky he's not being charged for attempted murder.

Unless charges are dropped or reduced SIGNIFICANTLY his career in Minnesota is over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would guess that his career at Minnesota is over anyway. These aren't the old days where players sometimes would be retained until if and when the matter was resolved negatively for the accused. Also, these things take a while to get resolved. Until then, he's not going to be participating in team activities. Unless these charges are absolutely a hoax, I think he is gone. Even if they were demonstrated to be part of some sort of consensual S&M ritual that got a little out of hand, I think he is gone.

Steve Alford's career at Iowa never completely recovered from his initial support of Pierre Pierce. My guess is that Pitino knows better than to risk his neck over this even if he has fond feelings for McNeil.

Pitino strikes me as a good human being and family man (who has a daughter), so I wonder how he (or any coach) feels when something like this happens because of actions by a person they were responsible for bringing to campus. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I've got to think some of that has to weigh on them.

Good riddance! Dump him.

Now we have 2 more scholarships for next year.

Looks like we have another scholarship about to be available...if the allegations turn out to be true. And over what...pu$$y? What a moron!

Soooo there's a news report stating what he's accused of and we're already judging him guilty. There's no place for the alleged behavior on a team or in society, but its crazy how so many people rush to judge and even say stuff like 'if he hit her then he should be gone, no need to wait on a guilty verdict'. So we're saying that the public or the U should render the verdict instead of the judge and jury. We've seen time and again that allegations aren't always true so my hope is that the school actually allows the process to play out before kicking the kid out.
As a guy that has had a woman (who was only a roommate that I had no romantic involvement with) threaten to beat and bruise herself and call the police on me, I'm in no rush to automatically believe allegations and I'm not in a rush to proclaim the accused's innocence either. Point is we don't know yet and we should act that way.

Soooo there's a news report stating what he's accused of and we're already judging him guilty

I see most people saying "If true" then their opinion, so relax.

Find better roommates.

Soooo there's a news report stating what he's accused of and we're already judging him guilty. There's no place for the alleged behavior on a team or in society, but its crazy how so many people rush to judge and even say stuff like 'if he hit her then he should be gone, no need to wait on a guilty verdict'. So we're saying that the public or the U should render the verdict instead of the judge and jury. We've seen time and again that allegations aren't always true so my hope is that the school actually allows the process to play out before kicking the kid out.
As a guy that has had a woman (who was only a roommate that I had no romantic involvement with) threaten to beat and bruise herself and call the police on me, I'm in no rush to automatically believe allegations and I'm not in a rush to proclaim the accused's innocence either. Point is we don't know yet and we should act that way.

I agree with most of what you just said. The only thing I'll disagree with is where you say the U should wait out the entire process. The U is not bound by any law to keep him on scholarship. They can pull his scholarship for the bad publicity and that's fully within their right.

If the U gets any evidence that confirms McNeil hit the woman, then they don't need to wait for any verdict. Guilty or not guilty, the U can choose not to tolerate that behavior the same that Rutgers has chosen to do with Phil Nelson. Philip Nelson hasn't been found guilty of anything at this moment yet his scholarship is in a shredder.

There is still a chance that Nelson walks free, not because he didn't kick Kolstad in the head, but because they can't prove that Nelson caused the injuries. But Rutgers doesn't care because they won't accept that behavior.

The only chance that McNeil has to remain as a Gopher is building a case around everything being a complete lie and he never hit her or acted out of self defense.

Yup. In any given game, we are now basically 2 fouls away from Kendall Shell playing vital minutes. Kendall Shell!

I wonder if we'll start seeing Buggs at SF/wing now. Going to have to re-think that full court press, too.

Go to a ball control offense when King or Buggs are playing the 3. I don't see how they can get by without that type of a lineup at times. Should still be able to press but falling back into a man might be troublesome, they should start watching films of Syracuse on defense.

I agree with most of what you just said. The only thing I'll disagree with is where you say the U should wait out the entire process. The U is not bound by any law to keep him on scholarship. They can pull his scholarship for the bad publicity and that's fully within their right.

There is still a chance that Nelson walks free, not because he didn't kick Kolstad in the head, but because they can't prove that Nelson caused the injuries. But Rutgers doesn't care because they won't accept that behavior.

That's exactly right. Of course, Nelson was caught on tape. Nevertheless, universities across the country frequently are accused of trying to sweep this type of stuff under the rug and not being vigorous enough about preventing and sanctioning this type of student behavior. Even if McNeil's actions don't rise to the level of a crime, I think his future here is toast. The only thing that could save him is that the allegations turn out to be a hoax. Hopefully this incident succeeds in putting the fear of God into other athletes on scholarship at the university.

Opportunity knocks for Buggs

After something as awful as this happens I feel guilty talking about the basketball side of things, that said, this clearly means an opportunity for someone else. Gophers will need more out of Buggs, and I think he can provide it. Who's to say, it may end up being a positive trade-off (Buggs getting McNeil's minutes)? Now we'll find out. ... Buggs has to play with the short roster we have.

I'm no psychologist, but the kid probably has some undiagnosed mental/emotional problems. He has been through alot with the deaths of both his parents, but that is not even remotely an excuse to do something like this.

Clearly. I hope he gets the help he needs when he gets out of jail.

The only chance that McNeil has to remain as a Gopher is building a case around everything being a complete lie and he never hit her or acted out of self defense.

If the reports are accurate, it clearly wasn't self-defense.

After something as awful as this happens I feel guilty talking about the basketball side of things, that said, this clearly means an opportunity for someone else. Gophers will need more out of Buggs, and I think he can provdie it. Who's to say, it may end up being a positive trade-off (Buggs getting McNeil's minutes)? Now we'll find out. ... Buggs has to play with the short roster we have.

More time for Buggs and/or 30 + minutes each from both Dre's, Morris and Mason.

If the reports are accurate, it clearly wasn't self-defense.

It doesn't look that way, but we don't know for sure. Maybe she came at him with a piece of glass, broken bottle, etc. (idk, just speculating). Maybe clothes were ripped off in a brawl. Maybe the belt was all he could grab to get her off of him? Do we know if he sustained any injuries? If McNeil was smart, he didn't say a word to the police.

Obviously I just made up a pretty outrageous story, but just trying to point out that there are lots of unanswered questions, but I agree that it doesn't look good for him.

not sure if this actually means something, but the police report said "hold w/o bond". Is it common to hold without the possibility of posting a bond? It seems to me to indicate the severity.

After something as awful as this happens I feel guilty talking about the basketball side of things, that said, this clearly means an opportunity for someone else. Gophers will need more out of Buggs, and I think he can provide it. Who's to say, it may end up being a positive trade-off (Buggs getting McNeil's minutes)? Now we'll find out. ... Buggs has to play with the short roster we have.

Don't feel guilty. It's a natural reaction. We come here to talk about Gopher basketball, not to obsess about off-the-court misconduct. I'm sorry this incident happened but how it is resolved is neither in our hands nor our problem.

Another reminder of how day to day the scholarship situation seems to be in college basketball. We have no idea who will suit up for the Gophers next year. Whether it be academic related, a family situation, English speaking, or just being an idiot -- you never know for sure.

Don't feel guilty. It's a natural reaction. We come here to talk about Gopher basketball, not to obsess about off-the-court misconduct. I'm sorry this incident happened but how it is resolved is neither in our hands nor our problem.

Thanks.

When stuff like this happens, seriously my first thought always goes back to Hoosiers, when Norman Dale says, "My team is on the floor."

Not going to lose sleep over guys who can't handle the privilege they've been given to wear a Big Ten/Gophers uniform, nor the guys who can't cut it academically. All we should do is move forward with the guys we have on the roster. Worry too much about the ones that aren't around and it'll sap all your enjoyment out of a season. The guys who behave on and off the court & take care of their academic responsibilities deserve our support, win or lose.

Thanks.

When stuff like this happens, seriously my first thought always goes back to Hoosiers, when Norman Dale says, "My team is on the floor."

Not going to lose sleep over guys who can't handle the privilege they've been given to wear a Big Ten/Gophers uniform, nor the guys who can't cut it academically. All we can do is move forward with the guys we have on the roster. Worry too much about the ones that aren't around and it'll sap all your enjoyment out of a season. The guys who behave and take care of their academic responsibilities deserve our support, win or lose.

I feel the same way. I feel very bad for the victim (if charges are true), but excuse me for not feeling any sympathy for McNeil. Just because he played basketball for my school, doesn't mean I must continue to give him the time of day.

It is what it is I guess.

Incidents like this indicate how impressive the football team's behaviour has been the last few years.

If the U gets any evidence that confirms McNeil hit the woman, then they don't need to wait for any verdict. Guilty or not guilty, the U can choose not to tolerate that behavior the same that Rutgers has chosen to do with Phil Nelson. Philip Nelson hasn't been found guilty of anything at this moment yet his scholarship is in a shredder.

Never said they were bound that's why I offered my opinion on what they should do, not what they're legally bound to do. But I stand by my opinion. Schools make millions off of these kids and throw them out like leftovers when something goes wrong. Obviously there's personal accountability involved and criminal behavior kind of trumps everything but there's something that doesn't sit right with me about how these kids get thrown away so easily. There's the aspect of having to fit within a team culture and structure as well as a university one, and I get that there are requirements placed on those that are on scholarship and those that publicly represent the school. That said, we recruit a kid like McNeal from a crappy background with almost no stability for years (went to multiple prep schools and both parents have passed). We tell him that this is his 'family' and his new support system, and then when he screws up (royally if the allegations are true), its 'don't let the door hit you'. I know its not realistic to keep a kid on scholarship when he's no longer on the team due to criminal behavior nor is it realistic to expect a coach to hold a spot for a player for a year under criminal investigation, but it still doesn't sit well with me the ease at which schools just discard a kid, especially those that aren't convicted of crimes or only plead to minor crimes

Top Bottom