KSTP: Richard Pitino Previews Wednesday's Game vs. St. John's

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KSTP:

The Gophers men's basketball team will head to New York for their game against St. John's on Wednesday. Head coach Richard Pitino and guards Andre Hollins and Kendal Shell spoke about their season so far and playing at Madison Square Garden.

Even though they had light practices all week, Pitino said that he was impressed with the effort put forth in all three wins last week.

Hollins and Shell both were appreciative of the opportunity to play at Madison Square Garden. Hollins said that they have improved every game this season and that his team is ready. Pitino commented on the big stage and his players, "It'll be interesting to see how they react," he said.

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3630227.shtml

Go Gophers!!

Check out the quote at the 3:30 mark. Pitino honestly doesn't know how many minutes are in a football game??? Wow. I knew he was focused on basketball his whole life, but wow.

St. Johns matchups

St. Johns is easily the second hardest test to Louisville so far this season. Unfortunately for them they have two big men ineligible..so they are playing with 4 guards and the best shot blocker in college in Obekpa. They still could be a tourney team so hopefully we are ready.

No post scorers, many guards who can hit from 2. Harrison the only main 3pt threat. Very undersized team mid major like. Shooting 10-40 on 3's through 3 games.

Mathieu vs P Green 6-2 190 sr. 9ppg
Hollins vs R. Jordan 6-4 185 so 17ppg, 4 ass, not a 3pt shooter.
Morris vs D. Harrison 6-4 205 SR future NBA player. 18ppg, 10 rpg. 41%3's.
King vs Pointer 6-6 195 SR 13ppg, 8 reb
Mo vs Obekpa 6-10 240 JR 8ppg, 10 r, 5 blks

*One strategy is to feed Mo against Obekpa and hope he gets in foul trouble as they seriously have no other decent big men? If we are having trouble in man you could always box and one Harrison the only 3pt threat. I see a close first half, and I see our depth wearing them out in the second half. I wondre if King can post up Pointer?

I wonder if King can keep up with Pointer.

If King cannot post up Pointer he needs to work on his post game. he's got 3 inches and what? 40 lbs on the guy? If hes quicker than Joey and is able to successfully front him, then you gotta get Martin out there to move around a bit more and body him up.

Does St Johns play zone with their size issues? My guess is they are much like Louisville in that they want up tempo and pressure full length? You would almost have to with that size, but then you run into depth issues.... We've got to win... A lot of things pointing in our direction.

Top Bottom