PiPress: A win over St. John's would look good on resume

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino is expecting a major challenge Wednesday against St. John's in the NIT Season Tip-Off.

But he doesn't put much stock in the idea that marquee games in November decide what happens in March.

"To talk about the importance of these games would imply that I don't think we're very good," Pitino said at his Monday news conference. "Because why would I talk about bubble right now when our expectations are very, very high? We're hoping in February we're talking great seeds, not bubble. We know that's tough. But that's the way we talk in our locker room."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27004818/gophers-basketball-win-over-st-johns-would-look

Go Gophers!!

I like the confidence. I will say though I don't think he could deny how big of game vs Gonzaga could be for them.

He knocks it out of the park with that comment. Fans can look at the schedule and say things don't look good with an early loss to program X, but coaches/players can't think like that. If one W/L separates this team from making the tourney, then the team didn't live up to expectations.

I am pretty excited for this game. St John's hasn't played a real team yet and that could be a nice advantage for the Gophers.

Top Bottom