How many B1G QBs would you rather have?

killme

Reaction score
I've seen them all play to some extent. Barrett is elite and Cook is pretty good, but on this Gopher team are there really a lot of others you'd rather have?

Barrett for sure. Rudock is a much better thrower, not sure if I'd prefer him overall.

Meh, that might be all I have on this topic. I don't love Leidner but he is efficient usually and is a strong runner. His lack of accuracy drives me crazy at times.

It depends on what offense you're trying to run.

Connor Cook is probably a better QB than Mitch Leidner. But if I'm running read option? I don't want Connor Cook as my QB.

Honestly, J.T. Barrett is the only guy that I'd for sure rather have. The others, it all depends what you're trying to do & your subjective criteria.

Leidner reflects this team and vice-versa.
He's got guts and heart.
Right now there is not another QB I'd rather have.

Devin Gardner would be pretty dynamic on the zone read...just saying.

A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Mitch Leidner Mitch Leidner played for a team called the Golden Gophers. Now, Gopher, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Gophers that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and a whole lot about the way they played, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found them so darned interesting.

Now this story I'm about to unfold, took place in the mid 2010s. I only mention it because, sometimes, there's a man, I wont say "hero", because, what's a "hero"? But sometimes there's a man - and I'm talking about Mitch Leidner here- and well, he's the man for his time and place, he just fits right in there, and that's Mitch Leidner, on the Golden Gophers.

And even if he was an inaccurate quarterback, and Mitch most certainly was that, quite possibly the most inaccurate in the Big 10 - which would put him high in the running for most inaccurate nationwide - sometimes there's a man... sometimes, there's a man.

Leidner reflects this team and vice-versa.
He's got guts and heart.
Right now there is not another QB I'd rather have.

There is no way you would take Leidner over Barrett, I don't care how big of a homer you are. As for the others if the idea is that we are going to run the same offense then there are very few in the BIG that you take over Leidner because there are very few mobile QB's in the BIG right now. For that matter there are very few really good QB's in the BIG as well. RB is at an all time high and I would think QB has too be at one of the lower points across the board at the moment in the conference.

I'm happy with our Sophmore QB. Would I rather have an NFL prospect? Of F-ing course, my wife would also rather have better I'm sure.

Mitch takes waaaay too much blame and rarely gets his share of credit around here. I suppose that is life as anything other than a perfect QB, but many people deeply underrate his YPA (which is way more important than total yards) and what he brings in the read option. Sure a healthy Barret could run it more dynamically but he'd also be dead by now if he had to run it as often as Mitch.

You're trolling hard, but I'll bite because I like to mess with you and put you in a tizzy.

On this Gopher team running this offense? I'll take Barrett, Tommy Armstrong, and Gardner to run the read option and throw the ball 17 times a game. That puts Mitch 4th for me.

If we're talking about quarterbacks running the systems they are with their own teams, then that's another discussion that opens up a lot of variables. But I have Mitch 6th behind Barrett, Cook, Lunt, Rudock, and Sudfeld. I removed Gardner and Armstrong because I believe they are not being utilized to maximize their ability.

I can't take Armstrong over Leidner. He is too inaccurate and runs too much as it is.

I can't take Armstrong over Leidner. He is too inaccurate and runs too much as it is.

I wouldn't take him to do the same thing he's doing in Nebraska, but I would take him to run what Limegrover runs.

Same with Gardner. He throws the ball 22 times a game and is asked to make a lot happen with his feet and throws terrible interceptions because of it. If he had a David Cobb, threw the ball less, and wasn't asked to make everything happen with his feet, I think he would be much better.

You're trolling hard, but I'll bite because I like to mess with you.

On this Gopher team running this offense? Leidner is up there, but I'll take Barrett, Tommy Armstrong, and Gardner to run the read option and throw the ball 15 times a game. That puts Mitch 4th for me.
Thanks for messing with me, afurry91. I hope I don't upset you this time. I don't mean to "troll," just have heard so many things about how he's the worst QB in the B1G that I thought naming all those that are better was worth discussion. Especially since the game this weekend isn't much worth talking about.

I guess I didn't want to put the question in a box and allow folks to answer however they wanted. The way I tried to answer it was in the context of "if you could ditch Mitch and replace him with any other B1G QB right now, who would you trade him for?" (of course, assuming the replacement guy would have ML7's current grasp of the playbook).

There is no way you would take Leidner over Barrett, I don't care how big of a homer you are. As for the others if the idea is that we are going to run the same offense then there are very few in the BIG that you take over Leidner because there are very few mobile QB's in the BIG right now. For that matter there are very few really good QB's in the BIG as well. RB is at an all time high and I would think QB has too be at one of the lower points across the board at the moment in the conference.
Perhaps instead of poking holes at others you could put forth your list?

Gardner? Dear God, he is a turnover machine. He is at the bottom of any list I have.

I guess I didn't want to put the question in a box and allow folks to answer however they wanted. The way I tried to answer it was in the context of "if you could ditch Mitch and replace him with any other B1G QB right now, who would you trade him for?" (of course, assuming the replacement guy would have ML7's current grasp of the playbook).

Running our current offense:
Barrett
Armstrong (just slightly ahead of Leidner)
Gardner (tossup, more turnover prone then ML but better runner)

Running a more traditional offense that does not rely on QB runs:
(not necessarily in this order)
Barrett
Lunt
Armstrong
Hackenberg
Cook
Sudfeld
Nova
Ruddock

Have not seen enough of the guy at Maryland or Appleby at Purdue.

Considering how we castigate Mitch for each interception what would we do with Devin!

Don't forget fumbles. There were a couple of Gopher "fans" here last year who just couldn't shut-up about Leidner's fumbles. "Mitch will never play because of his turnovers". They seem quiet about it this year. Instead they just keep telling us how the Gophers never have to complete a pass to win. They seem to have shut-up about that this week too. Maybe because they can't blame Wolitarsky anymore for ruining the passing game.

As for the O.P.? I'll take the Leidner from the Michigan game, Iowa game, the 2nd Half of the Nebraska game, 2nd Half against Purdue and especially the 3rd Quarter of the Illinois game against any other QB in the Conference.

The other games and Quarters? Probably take 6-7 guys ahead of him.

Here's to that "3rd Quarter" guy showing-up against the Badgers. :drink:

Gardner? Dear God, he is a turnover machine. He is at the bottom of any list I have.

Devin Gardner is one of the finest kids ever produced by Michigan. IMHO he is the biggest reason Hoke will be looking for another job starting Sunday. Iceland12's post about ML7's good quarters/halves is the main reason I think he's going to be an all-B1G QB before he leaves.

But I have Mitch 6th behind Barrett, Cook, Lunt, Rudock, and Sudfeld.
Hmmm. What criteria did you use? Hackenberg is supposedly an NFL lock. I wonder if you're really trying.

Gardner (tossup, more turnover prone then ML but better runner)
That's like saying the earth gets most of it's heat from the sun. As for "better runner," you're kidding, right?
RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Leidner, Mitch 10 103 537 129 408 4.0 8 31 40.8
Gardner, Devin 11 84 400 163 237 2.8 4 25 21.5

Hmmm. What criteria did you use? Hackenberg is supposedly an NFL lock. I wonder if you're really trying.

I based my opinion strictly off of this season. I would not take Hackenberg based on the season he has had. He is not as mobile as Leidner and has been plain awful for the last month.

A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Mitch Leidner Mitch Leidner played for a team called the Golden Gophers. Now, Gopher, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Gophers that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and a whole lot about the way they played, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found them so darned interesting.

Now this story I'm about to unfold, took place in the mid 2010s. I only mention it because, sometimes, there's a man, I wont say "hero", because, what's a "hero"? But sometimes there's a man - and I'm talking about Mitch Leidner here- and well, he's the man for his time and place, he just fits right in there, and that's Mitch Leidner, on the Golden Gophers.

And even if he was an inaccurate quarterback, and Mitch most certainly was that, quite possibly the most inaccurate in the Big 10 - which would put him high in the running for most inaccurate nationwide - sometimes there's a man... sometimes, there's a man.

This is awesome! You didn't even have to change it much.

I understand that some of these guys run a different system (so our system would need a little tweak with some of these guys):

For Sure
1: Barrett
2: Braxton Miller
3: Connor Cook

Probably
4: Wes Lunt
5: Nate Sudfeld

I can't understand an argument of Gardner over Leidner. Rudock is pretty much a toss up for me.

I understand that some of these guys run a different system (so our system would need a little tweak with some of these guys):

For Sure
1: Barrett
2: Braxton Miller
3: Connor Cook

Probably
4: Wes Lunt
5: Nate Sudfeld

I can't understand an argument of Gardner over Leidner. Rudock is pretty much a toss up for me.

I would take all these listed over Leidner plus Armstrong, Nova and Hackenberg.

Yeah, well, that just, like, your opinion, man.

I would take all these listed over Leidner plus Armstrong, Nova and Hackenberg.

Absolutely with you on Hack. On a good team he's great. Behind that line he's got no shot.

No chance on Nova.

Maybe Armstrong but highly doubtful.

Regardless, Leidner is at worst 7th best in the league. Far better than he's been given credit for in the past. Again, at worst.

Top Bottom