Wisconsin Coach Changing Axe Policy, Hasn't Talked To Coach Kill About it...

If I was the Equipment Manager I would pack a plasma cutter. If we are winning and time is running out I undercover it on the sidelines. As Coach Kill goes to shake Anderson's hand He could say get The Axe, or we will cut them down.

back-pedal
[bak-ped-l]
verb (used without object), back-pedaled, back-pedaling or (especially British) back-pedalled, back-pedalling.
to retard the forward motion by pressing backward on the pedal, especially of a bicycle with coaster brakes.
to retreat from or reverse one's previous stand on any matter; shift ground:
to back-pedal after severe criticism.
Boxing. to retreat from an opponent, especially by stepping rapidly backward.

back-pedal
[bak-ped-l]
verb (used without object), back-pedaled, back-pedaling or (especially British) back-pedalled, back-pedalling.
to retard the forward motion by pressing backward on the pedal, especially of a bicycle with coaster brakes.
to retreat from or reverse one's previous stand on any matter; shift ground:
to back-pedal after severe criticism.
Boxing. to retreat from an opponent, especially by stepping rapidly backward.
Sounds like Andersen had a "situation" after the press conference.
This guy has some serious communication issues.

Why. I think he was responding to Kill's request for support.

I'll have to take a look at the video but Jerry's cause is epilepsy awareness, not Alzheimer's.

I usually joke about the lack of education in wisconsin....but if you don't know the difference between Alzheimer's and epilepsy there's no hope.

If the Gophers wanted a say in this decision they should have controlled their players and staff last year. You can point to 2011 all you want it doesn't justify the Gophers actions last year. In 2011 the Gophers 'tradition' of singing in front of the student section had been in effect for all of…0 years. The Badgers and Gophers have been chopping down BOTH goalposts since at least the mid 80's (Its been awhile so it is understandable if many Gopher fans are foggy on this detail but it is a fact beyond dispute). If anyone had the obligation to bend to tradition it was the Gophers. Even if the Badgers were 100% responsible for that incident it was minor and was a clear miscommunication over a new policy that the Badgers had never faced before. That is not justification for acting like a bunch of sore losers two years later and disrupting a real tradition (meaning it has history and weight) because you are sick of getting beat. Without that display of post game 'toughness' this policy is never discussed.

I hate it. Every Badger fan I know or have seen comment on it hates it. That being said blaming this on the Badgers is laughable. Also, you might want to win the game before you go on a rant about how this was done because the Badgers are scared of losing and was done simply to stick it to the Gophers in their moment of triumph. Could the Gophers win on Sat? Sure. But I know there isn't a single Badger player or fan who is scared of this game or worried about the Gopher celebration. 17-2 makes us pretty confident.

So your answer to disrupting tradition one year is essentially destroying it? I agree that our players shouldn't have done that last year. What some Badger fans seem to not understand is that it is possible for the blame to be spread around.

You're right, if the MN players don't do what they did last year, this isn't even an issue. But couldn't you also say that Anderson overreacted and/or could have handled this a lot bit better?

If they don't get this fixed by Saturday I'm really gonna be F*cking pissed..How do you destroy history because of something that happened last year. Did anyone get hurt? No. Their was just pushing and shoving, typical for a rivalry game like this. The Coach for "that school" is completely overacting. You can't really pull the player safety card. What is someone going to get pushed and tear their ACL??! hahah that's laughable..

If they don't get this fixed by Saturday I'm really gonna be F*cking pissed..How do you destroy history because of something that happened last year. Did anyone get hurt? No. Their was just pushing and shoving, typical for a rivalry game like this. The Coach for "that school" is completely overacting. You can't really pull the player safety card. What is someone going to get pushed and tear their ACL??! hahah that's laughable..

It's already been fixed. Keep Calm and Ski-U-Mah

So your answer to disrupting tradition one year is essentially destroying it? I agree that our players shouldn't have done that last year. What some Badger fans seem to not understand is that it is possible for the blame to be spread around.

You're right, if the MN players don't do what they did last year, this isn't even an issue. But couldn't you also say that Anderson overreacted and/or could have handled this a lot bit better?

That's not my answer at all. I clearly said that I hate this decision. What I took umbrage with was the many posters claiming that this was all because the Badgers are scared of losing and want to stick it to the Gophers if they win. This was clearly a response to the actions of the Gophers last year, not a Badger conspiracy. I'm glad that common sense won out and the Axe will in fact be on the field.

That's not my answer at all. I clearly said that I hate this decision. What I took umbrage with was the many posters claiming that this was all because the Badgers are scared of losing and want to stick it to the Gophers if they win. This was clearly a response to the actions of the Gophers last year, not a Badger conspiracy. I'm glad that common sense won out and the Axe will in fact be on the field.

Fair enough. Hopefully we can all just talk about the game now.

I still like the defending of the goal posts, and I think that should be part of the tradition. You get to chop one, and when you look to the other end of the field, the other team is still defending. Kind of a "you won the battle, but the war never ends" statement.

It has?!? What happened?! Can I step off the ledge?!

Yes, you can. Basically Andersen was forced by people much wiser than him on both sides to do a backpedal job that Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers would have been proud of. Jackass said he was "clarifying" his earlier comments on his new unilaterally decided Axe policy, which made him look even more pathetic on the topic considering his clarification and earlier comments sounded nothing alike.

Anyways, I am going to move on now too. Dude is an idiot whatever way you slice it. Axe will be on field right when game is over in the end zone area (not in the locker room which was truly the dumbest idea ever). Just not on the sideline area like it has been for decades and decades.

Is it Saturday yet?! :D

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

I imagine he conversation went like this.

Barry: Are you trying to make them mad?

Gary: It's for safety, sir.

Barry: And how safe will it be when the Gophers start charging through the band during the 5th quarter?

Gary: I didn't think about that, sir.

Barry: Move the axe to the end zone. Lose this game and I'm sacrificing your first born.

Gary: very good, sir.

If they are that worried about chopping down the goal posts, either start with the other goal post and get the other one after Hail Minnesota is played or delay Hail Minnesota until after the goal post is chopped down. Not complicated.
I believe in 2011 the Badgers went in to the post before Hail Minn was complete, which was not cool. In 2013 they waited and then the Gophers acted like children and sore losers trying to defend the goal post, which was not cool. Both teams need to understand that after the game both goal posts will be made available for chopping and to stay clear and not interfere, if the losing team doesn't like it they should've played harder.

In 2011 the Gophers 'tradition' of singing in front of the student section had been in effect for all of…0 years.

The players singing Hail Minnesota in front of the student section started in 2007 when Brewster came.

You can argue that it's not long enough to be considered a tradition unlike a 90s rap song being considered in the same sentence as the 12th Man or the Dotting of the I, but it was not something that sprung up simply to keep Wisconsin players from celebrating.

Honestly, this is a test of sportsmanship, and it would be good if we found a mutually sportsmanlike way to do this and preserve it. But trying to essentially end the tradition by eliminating the spectacle of getting the trophy from the sideline...who thinks that is a real solution to the "problem?"

This fixes nothing.

The issue had never been the act of grabbing the axe; there has never been an issue about storming across the field to retrieve it. It has been the action around the goalposts. I'm assuming that along with this will be the words of warning that you get to chop down 1 post and that is to minimize contact with the red weasels.

How I hope Coach Kill responds today when asked:

Until we win it really doesn't matter. I'm not concerned about that stuff, I'm concerned about beating Wisconsin, it hasn't happened here in 10 years. Until we win a game against them it doesn't matter.

Coach Kill, if you do win, will you honor what Wisconsin has decided regarding the Axe?
I'm focused on preparing for a game this Saturday, you can ask me that question when we beat Wisconsin.

We have to win this game for this to be a successful season. No excuses any more.

We have to win this game for this to be a successful season. No excuses any more.

What are you talking about? I want to win this game as bad as the next guy but not to make it a successful season. I want to win to:

1. Win the west
2. Beat Wisconsin and win the Axe back
3. Shut the badgina fans up

If you don't think an 8-4 season is successful I feel sorry for you. Go back and read everyone's expectations before the season. Most people said 7-5 would be good 8-4 would be great. Win the bowl game and we have a 9 win season. This season is successful whether we win this week or not. This week would just put a giant fricken cherry on top of this successful season.

Disagree. Season is already a success and the team has made progress over last season, beating the Badgers is icing on the cake.

When I first started reading this my main thought was the sconny coach doesn't have any choice in the matter. It is much bigger than any current coach.

Obviously, he doesn't have a say in the matter and should have just kept his mouth closed.

Without the Axe, it is just another "cold Omaha vs drunken skunk" game.

Top Bottom