Dear Mitch...

John Galt

Reaction score
Many of us on GH have been your harshest critics, myself included. We've questioned your decision making ability, accuracy, speed, and overall grasp of the QB position. While it remains to be seen how much improvement you can make in these areas, one thing is now certain: you are one of the toughest son of a bitches to play college football. The way you took a pounding by the Nebraska D-line and LBs throughout the game, and kept coming at them, was something that I won't soon forget.

Great job on Saturday, now go get the Axe!

Coming from one of the few Mitch apologists....I say well done.

It's pretty clear now what the coaching staff saw in him going into last offseason, and why Nelson wasn't given the job automatically.
I've always seen Mitch for what he is and still is BTW, a developing Qb with great size, strength, and moxi who is working on developing his touch and passing game patience.

He very well may lay more eggs in his career, but plays like the deep Maye pass and the go ahead TD run where he trucked a Nebraska defender are why he has a chance to be a true leader for this team and program going forward.

Not bad for a guy who wouldn't start for Augustana, needs to be moved to TE, and "doesn't have the look of a B1G athlete":rolleyes:

In retrospect, the vanilla coaching of the first half of the year may have been designed to keep him healthy. The read option and the carries can't last all year. It still worries me that he fumbles a lot though. Last game had the Epping fumble and the late strip. Both could have been disastrous.

Last year will be the first year in a while that we had proper qb depth.
1. Leidner (r-Junior)
2. Streveler (r-sophomore)
3. Mckinzy or Perra (r-fr)
4.Rhoda
5. Croft

It will be nice to not worry that we are one hit away from a true freshman.

It's pretty clear now what the coaching staff saw in him going into last offseason, and why Nelson wasn't given the job automatically.
I've always seen Mitch for what he is and still is BTW, a developing Qb with great size, strength, and moxi who is working on developing his touch and passing game patience.

He very well may lay more eggs in his career, but plays like the deep Maye pass and the go ahead TD run where he trucked a Nebraska defender are why he has a chance to be a true leader for this team and program going forward.

Not bad for a guy who wouldn't start for Augustana, needs to be moved to TE, and "doesn't have the look of a B1G athlete":rolleyes:

Totally agree.

Now instead of "Moxy", "Moxi" or any other spelling variation, can we please just say "SISU" to describe these types of guys? Much more appropriate here.

Totally agree.

Now instead of "Moxy", "Moxi" or any other spelling variation, can we please just say "SISU" to describe these types of guys? Much more appropriate here.

SISU is a word I would use for Mitch, especially with that awesome beard he is rockin.

When turnovers and ball security are so important to our success, ML7 is not quite as careful as I'd like. He's made strides this year. But, he's made some really great throws (the TD to Maye earlier). That go-ahead TD run last week was brutal. He should have been flagged for running over that Husker with such malice. lol. Sometimes winners just find ways to win and as I said after the TCU game, I think he has enough talent to be an all-B1G QB. I sure would have a hard time taking anyone else to lead this team right now.

When turnovers and ball security are so important to our success, ML7 is not quite as careful as I'd like. He's made strides this year. But, he's made some really great throws (the TD to Maye earlier). That go-ahead TD run last week was brutal. He should have been flagged for running over that Husker with such malice. lol. Sometimes winners just find ways to win and as I said after the TCU game, I think he has enough talent to be an all-B1G QB. I sure would have a hard time taking anyone else to lead this team right now.

I gave him his props, but let's not get carried away...

Leidner deserves all the credit he is getting for way he played against Nebraska.

Still he is wildly inconsistent and remains a bottom half of the conference talent level QB.

As I've posted before, the improvement in the QB play of Abdul-Khaliq from sophomore to senior (when he led the nation in passing efficiency, 2003) was amazing. Mitch is improving from season to season, too, and may be just as impressive as he tames his passing arm. Many of his passes this year have been phenomenal, others off target, but he's improving and showing strong leadership skills.

Give him time in the pocket and he makes throws like the Maye catch at nebraska and the many good down field passes at michigan and in the iowa game. Give him time. He is improving. He is our leader and he has been a great leader this year. Go get em on Saturday Mitch! With a win you would be remembered for this season for a long time!

Dear Mitch be who you are and tune out the rest, I'm sure you already do that but just in case tune out the noise. He is stil learning to play QB, that means do not jump in the air when the QB is trying to pass, and stop waiting to throw the pass until you see the route has completely opened up, see things that are already there and do not hesitate.

In all seriousness, he is a tough SOB for a QB who seems to make better throws when he is under duress or in a difficult situation. Hard not to be impressed with how much he ran the ball on Saturday kept taking the licks from the defensive line and the linebackers and dishing them back. One last thing when you go to Wisconsin this weekened do not forget to pack an extra can of whoop ass to unleash on the Badgers,
tell the beard to also pack an additional can of whoop ass as these guys are owed it.

Leidner deserves all the credit he is getting for way he played against Nebraska.

Still he is wildly inconsistent and remains a bottom half of the conference talent level QB.

Inconsistent- absolutely, as I would expect for a Sophomore QB. I'm not disagreeing that Mich can take you through an entire array of emotions during a game but the bottom half of the conference in talent? I'd love to know what metric you're using to support that remark. Lets look at commonly used metrics for QB performance of all the Big 10 QBs in conference games (who have played any significant amount of time in conference games) to date.

School QB Year TD/INT Comp% YPA QBRate Rush Yds
Illinois Lunt Soph 3/0 60.5% 6.07 123.7 -36
Illinois O'Toole Snr 6/6 57.5% 6.37 116.8 102

Indiana Sudfeld Jnr 1/2 39.1% 4.59 126.6 16
Indiana Diamont Fresh 1/4 40.7% 3.67 71.8 99

Iowa Rudick Jnr 9/2 62.2% 8.00 144.4 60

Maryland Brown Snr 11/9 51.1% 5.55 100.1 218

Michigan Gardner Snr 3/8 58.5% 6.09 105.8 169

Mich St Cook Jnr 12/3 55.0% 8.56 142.2 61

Minnesota Leidner Soph 8/4 52.2% 8.08 133.9 356

Nebraska Armstrong Soph 6/7 50.9% 7.09 130.7 279

NWestern Siemian Snr 4/6 56.8% 5.62 104.6 -121

Ohio State Barrett Fresh 20/5 65.6% 8.59 168.3 644

Penn State Hackenberg Soph 4/8 53.3% 5.24 96.2 -98

Purdue Appleby Soph 9/8 53.6% 5.67 107.5 150

Rutgers Nova Snr 6/10 51.1% 7.15 111.0 -28

Wisconsin Stave Jnr 6/4 57.6% 7.01 126.5 -16
Wisconsin McEvoy Jnr 0/2 53.8% 4.00 72.1 284

By my assessment of the data there are 17 QBs who have played significant time in Big 10 games. Of those 17 QBs Mitch is 5th in TD:Int ratio, 3rd in YPA, 4th in QB rating and 2nd in Rushing yards.

The only metric that he is within the bottom half of QBs is Completion % in which he ranks 12th of the 17. While this metric seems very important to some, I would argue that in our offense it is of lesser importance. My reasoning being that, no mater who our QB is, he's unlikely to throw the ball more than 20 times a game (unless we're getting rolled and it's the 4th quarter). Thus, a QB completing ~57% of his passes, Siemian for instance (who many folks seem to have a man crush on), would complete 1-2 more passes than Mitch; however, would throw for 50 less yards. In addition, since he and many other of these QBs, are "dink and dunkers" they would fail to get the opponents secondary to respect the deep throw- which Mitch will eventually achieve if he as able to keep his YPA up.

Anyway, while Mitch can be exasperating at times, no mater how one looks at the data- I don't buy he's in the lower half of the Big10.

BTW- any tips on how to use the table function in this system would be much appreciated!

I agree that completion % will be naturally lower if YPA is higher. I'd still like him to be closer to 60%. Beat WI and nobody will care about where you stand in the conference among QBs - cement your reputation as a gamer.

I'll take his lower completion percentage because for the last few games 3-4 times per game he has thrown the ball away vs take a sack or force one and get picked. Thats a huge percentage of his in completions if he only throws 20 times/game.

For all his faults he finds ways to win and that is stat #1. Keep it up Mitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW- any tips on how to use the table function in this system would be much appreciated!

There's a table function? If you know HTML, you might be able to do that, but I don't think there is a table menu option.

There's a table function? If you know HTML, you might be able to do that, but I don't think there is a table menu option.

Yea- just recently saw it on the "Go Advanced" reply option- bottom left icon. Just never wanted to put everyone through my learning curve without some advice from those who may be more learned.

Yea- just recently saw it on the "Go Advanced" reply option- bottom left icon. Just never wanted to put everyone through my learning curve without some advice from those who may be more learned.

Hmm. you're right. That's cool. I've never seen someone post with that before.

Mitch has a good future.

Coming from one of the few Mitch apologists....I say well done.

Mitch will have even more success in the future. The two main wide outs for the Gopher are a transfer from Rochester JV and
a 5' 9" converted running back. Hopefully, there will be better skilled players in the future.

Mitch will have even more success in the future. The two main wide outs for the Gopher are a transfer from Rochester JV and
a 5' 9" converted running back. Hopefully, there will be better skilled players in the future.

I'd say the future at wide receiver looks bright, but I said that when Harbison and McDonald signed on.

So I'll hold my breath a little longer. Hopefully the guys in waiting can be playmakers.

What if Mitch improves next year only by the measure of our improvement at receiver? I'd take that. I think our receiving corps is going to be the best it's been in the JK era next year.

What if Mitch improves next year only by the measure of our improvement at receiver? I'd take that. I think our receiving corps is going to be the best it's been in the JK era next year.

I have hope as well, but along with afurry will hold my breath after the Harbison/McD diappointments.

I have hope as well, but along with afurry will hold my breath after the Harbison/McD diappointments.

Don't hang on to the old days. They're gone. Breathe. It's all going to be good. Really good.

Top Bottom