What to do in Madison

MKE_Gopher

Reaction score
Taking my Dad on his first trip to Madison. We are thinking of driving down early Saturday, enjoy the city/pregame and hang out for a while after the game.

Questions:
1. What are the must see spots?
2. Best places to tailgate/pregame
3. Best place to park?

Can't wait to watch the Gophers storm their sideline!

I know what wisconsin people do in Madison, they kiss relatives.

Must's: Check out Capitol Square+State Street area, tailgate/bar hop on Regent Street. Plenty of ramps to park.

There are basically little tailgate parking lot party spots all around stadium in all directions. Picture the old Sally's parking lot and multiply by 40 different spots. Parking I have no idea, last time we parked a few miles out at a bar that had a shuttle to the stadium and then walked back bar hopping.

Do they still have killer Long Island Ice Teas at the Red Shed? Also State Street Brats was a blast back in the day.

State Street is a real gathering spot - lot of stores, restaurants and bars.

In one sense, Madison is a bit like the Twin cities - a freeway loop around the central area, with a lot of shopping
centers, strip malls and big-box stores next to the freeway. Used to be a place called American TV that had a lot of
good deals on electronics. (of course, that was back in the 90's - so things may have changed.)

Can't help on parking or tailgating - every time I've ever tried to drive in Madison, I got lost/screwed up, and spent a lot of
time driving around in circles. The streets are laid out differently - a lot of streets fan out diagonally from the state capital, so
it's easy to get messed up.

State Street is a real gathering spot - lot of stores, restaurants and bars.

In one sense, Madison is a bit like the Twin cities - a freeway loop around the central area, with a lot of shopping
centers, strip malls and big-box stores next to the freeway. Used to be a place called American TV that had a lot of
good deals on electronics. (of course, that was back in the 90's - so things may have changed.)

Can't help on parking or tailgating - every time I've ever tried to drive in Madison, I got lost/screwed up, and spent a lot of
time driving around in circles. The streets are laid out differently - a lot of streets fan out diagonally from the state capital, so
it's easy to get messed up.

I believe American TV & Appliance recently went out of business.

Don't expect any fine dining. I called on the area for 19 years and made it point to eat dinner in Milwaukee, or even Green Bay. They've a ton of franchise restaurant's and burger bars if that is what you're looking for. No Manny's, Murray's, or anything resembling a 5 star restaurant.

Any place Gopher fans are gathering (and can bring children)?

If you aren't staying overnight, don't mind walking, and like bars I'd suggest the following:
- Drive in on 94 and exit at 151 / E. Washington Ave. This will route you towards the capital. You can loop around the capital a couple times but I wouldn't park there or stop there
- Park in the municipal ramp between University and State St. you can exit University at Frances.
- Grab a beer or cocktail and some food at St. Street Brats, right next to the ramp. You could also try Wando's if you want something smaller - on Frances and University
- About two hours before kickoff walk to Buckingham's on Regent Street. They'll have a closed in parking lot with music & drinks. Didn't have food at the Nebraska game but usually do. You will find plenty of opposing fans at Buck's.
- Leave 45 minutes before kickoff to get into the stadium. This goes for EVERYBODY. It took about 30 minutes to get into the Nebraska game which nobody expected. I think it is because everyone wanted to be inside for the kickoff, but nobody wanted to go in early because it will be cold.
- After the game, find your way back to State Street. There are a lot of bars and restaurants and you can basically just pick something. If you are sobered up and want something nice to eat, now might be a time to go to the square. You can probably drive over at this point. Just google places to eat. I ate at an expensive steak place called 'Rare' last week but it was just o.k. Of course the Essen Haus is also by the square if you like German Food.

1. Hire Danny Ocean's gang of 11 to return Slab of Bacon
2. Go to the nearest Foot Locker, claim you are a UW athlete and get 90% off.
3. Visit the Maple Bluff Country Club and ask for the booth that Barry Alvarez used to take his cheerleader
4. Put on a Wisconsin sweater, walk through a pet store and identify yourself as Chad Alvarez.

Don't expect any fine dining. I called on the area for 19 years and made it point to eat dinner in Milwaukee, or even Green Bay. They've a ton of franchise restaurant's and burger bars if that is what you're looking for. No Manny's, Murray's, or anything resembling a 5 star restaurant.

The do now have a very good place called The Old Fashioned. I am pretty sure you would need to make reservations soon for Sat eve or Friday eve though.

Pub crawling down State street is always fun! Last time I did it I woke up in the Liz Waters All-female dormitory! Which was nice.

The New York Times begs to disagree. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/travel/05Hours.html?_r=0&pagewanted=2

L'Etoile is also food for fine dining, but that's not what I'd do on game day. There's a lot of good places on Williamson Street (near east side off the square). Madison is a growing place for farm to table dining, although this isn't the best time of year for it.

Based on the quality of your posts I highly doubt you've ever been to a nice restaurant.

Almost all of the great restaurants are around the Capitol. I personally recommend Cento, L'etoile, Graze, Harvest, Merchant, The Old Fashioned, and Coopers Tavern. That is a good mix of fine dining and more affordable but unique/hip spots.

AJ Bomber's is a great place for a burger as well.

1. Hire Danny Ocean's gang of 11 to return Slab of Bacon
2. Go to the nearest Foot Locker, claim you are a UW athlete and get 90% off.
3. Visit the Maple Bluff Country Club and ask for the booth that Barry Alvarez used to take his cheerleader
4. Put on a Wisconsin sweater, walk through a pet store and identify yourself as Chad Alvarez.

Dress up as Chadima and get young boys drunk and try for a rub-n-tug.

The do now have a very good place called The Old Fashioned. I am pretty sure you would need to make reservations soon for Sat eve or Friday eve though.

Love this place. Good vibe, traditional Wisconsin/German food, and the Friday Fish Fry, which is a hit there. Right by State Street and the State Capitol as well, which you'll definitely want to check out.

Based on the quality of your posts I highly doubt you've ever been to a nice restaurant.

Almost all of the great restaurants are around the Capitol. I personally recommend Cento, L'etoile, Graze, Harvest, Merchant, The Old Fashioned, and Coopers Tavern. That is a good mix of fine dining and more affordable but unique/hip spots.

AJ Bomber's is a great place for a burger as well.
You're comparing fine dining in Madison to what? I'm really laughing at this. Do you really know the difference between fresh halibut and frozen? Tell you what, my wife is a gourmet cook. Come up to
Nisswa and I'll treat you and your lovely wife to fine dining

you want steak in Madison?

Go to Smoky's - after that the Tornado Room makes a great steak. Both will hit the target.

after you visit the tornado room take a quick left out the bar door and go up the stairs to the Rising Sun. you will need to find out about that place someday.

Top Bottom