Apologies will be accepted. Naysayers forgiven

killme

Reaction score
Thanks to Spoofin for providing the link to the "Jerry Kill...is he the right guy?" thread, which was started after the TCU game. I decided to cut-n-paste a few of the comments from posters to save time going back to read the whole thing. Kudos -- again -- to doublealum for admitting he panicked. Anyone else on this list care to reconsider their comments? If not, feel free to kill me.

Ok, I finally believe that we are for real... with that said, we are a decent QB from being B10 Champion! Kill is a great guy, but I don't think he's a great coach. He is too loyal to his ways and his coaches. Limegrover is terrible, and you have to just blame Kill for entrusting a Big Ten offense to Limegrover. As a head coach, you also have to be a great leader and be able to make the touch decisions... such as getting a new OC.

Our roster isn't a catastrophe. We don't gave a QB, which is a catastrophe. I doubt the answer is on the roster right now. Would love to be wrong. Wish Phil had stayed.

I like Jerry Kill and want him to succeed, but I would be curious to hear if people have confidence in him taking this program to the next level. I know Minnesota is an after through for football and we have not been relevant for 50+ years but are we ok with being average every year. I will admit that Kill came into a mess and did well to clean out a lot of the bad apples and improved academic performance. But just watching him and his staff I have questions on their scheme and vision for the program. The QB position has been an utter joke and every QB they throw in there looks worse than the guy before.

No; do not believe he can elevate the program to where I'd like it to be. ...have always said I didn't think he'd be HC past the 2015 season...
I think the answer is 'no' and the stubbornness of Kill won't allow him to adapt and grow enough.
Sadly, the Brewster hire I believe DID give Minnesota a chance because of the recruiting. Didn't work out, but there was a higher ceiling with Brewster than with Kill.

i believe that kill can fix the brewster mess but we arent going to be a top 4-5 team year in and year out with kill. hope im wrong

Put an average "Power 5" QB on this team and we win 9 games. Put an above average one (Conner Cook?), and we challenge for the B1G. As it stands, I see 6 or 7 wins again. SJSU, Purdue, Illinois are gimmes. NW is likely. Iowa goes either way. Importance of QB play can't be overstated.

Kill still falls well short of Mason. Mason beat every Big Ten team and won 10 games in one season. Until the next coach does that, they fall short of Mason.

What's our identity?

In year 4, not having a QB is squarely on Kill...The 2003 Gopher team is the best one in my lifetime. It's not really close. And I'm afraid it might always be. Sigh.

I think Kill or his OC or both will be gone in two years. And, so will the AD who will find a better position after raising money for the athletic community.

It's painfully clear that he's not cut out for this. Good guy and all that, but let's be honest.

One thing I've seen with Jerry Kill has been an inability to firmly settle on a quarterback and it has become an issue....but that we haven't had a consistent regular QB since Adam Weber in 2010, pre Jerry Kill. I get Kill wanting the right guy, but at some stage it might serve him well to go all in one guy and get some semblance of continuity instead of constantly searching for a better option that may not exist.

I think he can get us back to the Mason level, but that may not be "the next level." Offense is consistently a problem - last in the B1G - and QB is at the center of that problem. He won't win big in the conference running most of the time. Limegrover called a great game last year against Nebraska, but that was after a ton of criticism re the Iowa and Michigan games. It may be just as likely that Kill holds Limegrover back as that Limegrover is dull and predictable (which charge was also made by some fans at NIU). I'd like to see another QB or two get a look this year, starting next week.

It will be interesting to see where the fan base falls on this one. I agree that Kill can get this team to the Mason levels but will that be good enough? I still have my doubts about his ability to get things beyond that and make this team into a true contender even in a crap Big Ten like the one we have right now.

Im a big fan of Kill, and love the way he runs the team with hard love and discipline. But what I once viewed as a strength of his coaching, was the continuity of his staff, I now view as negative. I feel we have seen progress in the defense (despite todays game), but the offense is just awful. How about injecting a new style, and a new coach or two somewhere on that side of the ball? Instead of making changes and improvements in the coaching staff, Kill is too timid to make changes and fire one of his BFF's.

And Kill is the reason that we have that glaring weakness, due to how he dealt with Nelson.

There are only two possibilities:
1) Kill knew that Nelson was the superior QB, but wouldn't commit to him (in order to foster competition and keep both QBs hungry? Who knows.).
2) Kill couldn't identify that Nelson was the superior QB.

Neither possibility makes Kill look very good at his job.

I admit that I'm a negative person and harsh critic...the football decision making by Kill needs to be called into question...that does not mean he makes great football decisions... I believe he can't see the "forest for the trees". He's resolute in his beliefs and for that reason he will definitely go down with this ship...Kill has created an incoherent offensive mess that lacks any cohesiveness whatsoever, and he's 100% responsible for this...Kill has not demonstrated much common sense in building an effective offense. In fact, his decisions have made things substantially worse than they needed to be.

Typical GH thread after a game like that -- the sky is falling. I'm not surprised, but find it amusing. I would like to offer some things to consider that make me believe this game looked worse than it was as a barometer of where the program stands.

1. TCU was #2 in the nation just a few years ago. Patterson is a good coach in a state rich with talent.
2. Good teams with a bye week before a game have a decided advantage. Team didn't play well in any area, but a lot had to go right for us to win.
3. Gophers have had some major injuries prior to this game. Poock? Keith?
4. Don't know how bad ML's injury was, but he actually did some good things in the middle of the 2nd half that were encouraging.
5. Limegrover had a bad game from an arm-chair-QB perspective, but O line play wasn't good.

I hope ML is OK and think by the end of his sophomore season, he will be a pretty good QB.

I think max he gets us back to Mason levels. I don't believe he can get us to more than that based entirely off of our garbage offensive game plan and execution.

Kill is 1 decent QB away from possibly having the Gophers over the hump. Defense has been outstanding & you can SEE what the Offense is capable of but it would need a decent passer in order to open up a potentially deadly running game. Last year when we played Nebraska & had them on their feet we ran the ball 15 times in a row & they couldn't stop it. Nebraska may not be coached like they were in the golden years but they're still by default fielding bigger, faster & more athletic players & yet they had no answer for us. NONE.

Kill may have to swallow his pride & get rid of Limegrover eventually but Kill's job in my opinion is safe this Season no matter what. We're one season removed from a very special & exciting season last year...

Kill is NOT on the hot seat. Living in Illinois I got to see what Kill did at NIU... & compete with teams & beat teams in superior conferences... you think he can't do that here? He's 1 decent QB away from that here. Look at what he's done with no real QB since he's been here... relax... he's fine...

He has to get ride of Limes though...

(10-19-14)I was a complete jack-ass, nit-picking, disloyal, untrusting Gopher fan for a few weeks there. Criticized Jerry Kill and staff and lost faith. I'm terribly sorry and embarrassed now. Hopefully, I can gain some equilibrium and keep things in perspective and realize how fortunate we are to have Jerry Kill and his staff as our leaders. A lot of you guys were right and I give you tons of credit for not losing faith, for being optimistic and for seeing what could be rather than what was missing. Good life lesson for me!

We seem to have some major flaws in coaching. It is almost like our games plans are so obvious to our opponents that they know how to counteract them on both sides of the ball. This is not UNI where you kinda sneak up on people and people don't give you the respect to fully adjust their schemes to attack your game plans. This is the B1G where they fully scout all of your tendencies and design their schemes to stop you. You can't just line up and do what you do unless you are bigger, badder, stronger, etc... then everyone else. We are not, we need a little trickery to get the advantage.

I still stand by my opinion, And I still hope I'm wrong. There are things I still don't like about kill but the fact he's leading the program to more wins is exciting. All I care about is beating the sh*t out of the BADGINAS go gophers

Not sure what the point is here. 99% of us are Gopher fans and die-hard ones at that.

This is an amazing season, we have an incredible opportunity this week and I sure hope we're all fired up for a common purpose - BRINGING HOME THE AXE!!!!!

Nothing can be gained from an "I told you so" thread.

Go Gophers!!

My goodness... I wouldn't expect anything else from you. You clearly have a self confidence issue and are trying to compensate for something on a message board full of strangers. I hope you find what you're looking for in this thread.

Thanks to Spoofin for providing the link to the "Jerry Kill...is he the right guy?" thread, which was started after the TCU game. I decided to cut-n-paste a few of the comments from posters to save time going back to read the whole thing. Kudos -- again -- to doublealum for admitting he panicked. Anyone else on this list care to reconsider their comments? If not, feel free to kill me.

Posts like this are stupid.

Instead of looking back at what people SAID, let's look at what PEOPLE ARE SAYING!!!

Bringing up things from the past serves no useful purpose.

Why not take the time and energy put into this post and be a positive fan. Enjoy the moment and this season.

And just who are you to accept apologies and over forgiveness?

Where are you setting up the confessional booth, my Father? Hopefully Gopher fans will travel to the hallowed ground that is your computer and repent their sins of expressing an opinion on a fan discussion board, and hopefully you find it in your infinite wisdom and divinity to send your son to die on the cross for those sins, such that they may join you in your kingdom one day.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. We have a lot of pompous posters here.

We can't just be happy the Gophers are exceeding all expectations?

We can't just be happy the Gophers are exceeding all expectations?

No, we can't. A thread where everyone agrees is boring and not worth reading. The next thread we need is one listing posts by the Nelson diehards who told us that Leidner has no upside and will never be a DI quarterback.

No, we can't. A thread where everyone agrees is boring and not worth reading. The next thread we need to have is one listing posts by the Philip Nelson diehards who told us that Leidner has no upside and will never be a DI quarterback.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the head.

A lot of those opinions are still very valid, IMO...good pot stirring thread though.

I'm just enjoying the moment. and praying for a win this coming Saturday. It's been a long time since I've felt this good about Minnesota football. It's nice to see all the positive vibes surrounding the program at the moment, but I'm aware that they could quickly disappear should we stumble in Madison, just as a fumble in Champaign-Urbana caused a momentary melt down. I have faith in Kill and company. I think we are headed in the right direction. But we still have a ways to go before we can reliably compete for the BIG title. We need to upgrade further the talent pool that we have, and that means continuing to win, upgrading our facilities (don't forget to contribute) and supporting our team. If we do that, I think we can return to the competitive levels we once enjoyed when we won our National Championships. Over recent years, the posters who have irritated me the most, are those who say that Minnesota will never be able to reach that level. We went to the Rose Bowl in both my junior and senior years at Minnesota. If we did it then, we can do it now. Go Gophers!!!

People should not post right after a game. You're basically emotionally unstable. Give it 24 hours after your blood pressure drops 40 points.

Too soon.

Correct. I have been accused of being an ML7 apologist and even I agree it is too soon to take an "I was right (or wrong)" stance there. Mitch has been inconsistent more than he has been bad or good. He will do more good things. He will do more bad things. We should all just agree he is our best option (whether you like him or not) and support him.

Correct. I have been accused of being an ML7 apologist and even I agree it is too soon to take an "I was right (or wrong)" stance there. Mitch has been inconsistent more than he has been bad or good. He will do more good things. He will do more bad things. We should all just agree he is our best option (whether you like him or not) and support him.

Huh?

I have no issues with my post that you included. Has been a great year but we need to sustain this level or better next year and beyond for me to regret what I said.

Sorry. Thought you were saying it was too soon to say the Mitch haters were right or wrong. If not, sorry.

I was referring to someone making a joke about Phil kicking a guy in the head.

Although I understand the intention of this thread may have been faulty, reading through how wrong people were is pretty funny. I may not have posted strong views after TCU, but privately and with my friends I had doubts as well. I'm sorry, Jerry!

killme proves once again how we as Gopher fans are not worthy of Jerry Kill. may we all bow down at his feet and beg for forgiveness for our sins

WE ARE NOT WORTHY

Instead of looking back at what people SAID, let's look at what PEOPLE ARE SAYING!!!

Bringing up things from the past serves no useful purpose.

The Doctor for the win! How do you manage to always "keep it real"? :)

Top Bottom