Norwood Teague Best Hire In Decades

Dannyboy

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should have posted in the football or basketball forum, but because he hired both basketball coaches I thought it was appropriate to post here. It's early for the women, but both coach hires look like home runs so far. Didn't see a thread about how great Teague has been for the University of Minnesota.

He has believed in Coach Kill for the football program and hired Pitino which I thought was kind of crazy at the time. He has worked on getting the facilities built so we can have great programs all around, and he seems to be much more competent than past regimes. I really haven't been too into the Gophers until the last few years, and am a student at the U and have season tickets to basketball and football but it seems like such a different atmosphere for both football and basketball for me. I would be interested to hear long time gophers' thoughts on the AD situation and if that has made a large impact on how the teams/facilities/atmospheres/culture were.

Go gophers!

As a two time graduate of the U (Aerospace 89, MBA 98). I have long thought that the AD's have been unable to hold much power among the University Leaders in order to improve athletics. The President's focus has long been to improve the U's academic standing (not that they hav done that well either, ranked 71 by US News). So, almost all the funds have gone to improving academic facilities, which means improvement in Gopher athletic facilities has always needed to be done solely funded by contributions. Teague has been the first AD who really has worked hard and found success at getting funding. Which is what makes him the best AD in my years of following the U.

His hires of coaches is outstanding! But the true measure of an AD is raising the awareness and status of the athletic programs. Teague is doing that very well!

**Whoever was AD and got the on-campus stadium approved, should also take MAD credit for resurecting Gopher sports! The Metrodome was horrible for the Gophers!**

How's that $190MM project going? Saw some of the plans have already been scaled back. What's the latest?

How's that $190MM project going? Saw some of the plans have already been scaled back. What's the latest?

Why are you even allowed to still post here?

I see that you are about 90% of the way to reaching your goal of being 100% asshole.

While I am not a fan of GW's delivery, I want to wait until I see shovels in the ground and the facilities up and operational before I give him credit for the facilities. I am also going to wait for Pitino to have some tournament success before I declare that hire a success. Please don't jump down my throat and call me a nay-sayer, I like Pitino, and I am very optimistic about where he can take us, but being a Minnesota sports fan, I have fallen for fool's gold often enough that I am not going to count any chickens until they have hatched.

It starts with President Kaler.

He truly gets it and understands the value a solid athletic program brings to a university. Hire the right people, develop a plan and let it happen.

You mean the one that has a completion target of 2019-2020? It's going well. Will probably get done ahead of schedule.

How's that medical redshirt for Hollins going? How's Kill being fired after 2015 going? How's Gaston being run off the team going?

I actually think there is hope. The timing won't be what it should be, but I think the U will come around and try to get the key things done fairly soon (e.g. football, bball)

Unless a big donor steps up with tons of money, this is going to be a looooong thread (i.e., ongoing "updates" for many years before there is a new bball practice facility).

significant shortfall to the "goal" of $190M and for everything to be built in 6 to 8 years.

VCU's new bball practice facility is just a dream there like it is here for Minnesota.

Nope, sorry. Still just a dream. Need lots more money. Recent gift could prove to be very helpful, but they've still got a loooooooong way to go before they have the money or begin construction.

How does Minnesota solve this issue of needing a practice facility?

VCU desperately wants and needs a new basketball practice facility. They're in the same situation as Minnesota is.

Again, why focus on the 190m facility? Because you know you were wrong on what really matters; getting a basketball practice facility.

Tremendous vision, keep up the good work Mr. Teage!

While I am not a fan of GW's delivery, I want to wait until I see shovels in the ground and the facilities up and operational before I give him credit for the facilities. I am also going to wait for Pitino to have some tournament success before I declare that hire a success. Please don't jump down my throat and call me a nay-sayer, I like Pitino, and I am very optimistic about where he can take us, but being a Minnesota sports fan, I have fallen for fool's gold often enough that I am not going to count any chickens until they have hatched.

It's going to take a year or two more to really be able to completely evaluate Pitino, the top two players this year will still be Tubby's guys, he's mixed in some nice players though, next year will be about getting experience, the year after that it will be his team. Hope they can make the tourney this year, I doubt next year will be a realistic expectation.

It starts with President Kaler.

He truly gets it and understands the value a solid athletic program brings to a university. Hire the right people, develop a plan and let it happen.

Agreed. The U has had a long line of presidents that were anti-athletics, and others that didn't want to bother with it.

Lol... gullible.

Kill still upset about lack of progress on his facility needs? $250+ MM in the U's capital budget for fiscal 2016... How about a few bucks for the football program?

The $190M is nonsense. Time to admit the mistake and actually get help from the University president for something reasonable.

Teague

I love the direction things are headed with Teague, but forgive me if I think one of his hires should at least win an NCAA Tourney game or put up a Conference banner before calling him the greatest hire in decades.

Seeing the Barn sell out regularly would be nice too.

How much did you contribute to the project, big shooter? Or are you that guy who does nothing, then bitches that things aren't getting done? Don't bother answering, that question was rhetorical.

I love the direction things are headed with Teague, but forgive me if I think one of his hires should at least win an NCAA Tourney game or put up a Conference banner before calling him the greatest hire in decades.

Seeing the Barn sell out regularly would be nice too.

I would agree with that. Something to re-visit in a couple years.

Top Bottom