Kill says he won't play Cobb if he's only 85-90% healthy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

“He’s got a pretty good hamstring situation, so we’ll just have to see,” Kill said.

The coach noted that defensive back Derrick Wells was questionable because of a hamstring injury Oct. 11 against Northwestern but wound up playing that game after missing the first quarter.

“I don’t know how bad it is [for Cobb],” Kill said. “I know he could not get it loosened back up to play [at Nebraska]. I know he’ll do his best to go, but we’re not going to risk somebody going out there 90 percent or 85 percent. I don’t think it’s worth it to the kid.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/283653561.html

Go Gophers!!

I'd play him if he is close to 100% there will be a month off before the bowl game.

I want to beat the Badgers as much as anyone, but Cobb has an NFL future ahead of him and Coach is looking out for Cobb's best interests. I appreciate that about Coach Kill. He has his priorities in the right place.

Whatever happens, he has a very good backup in Donnell Kirkwood - a guy who ran for nearly 1000 yards two years ago and is very fresh.

As many touches as he gets every game, I HIGHLY doubt he's been anything above 85-90% all year,
Play him! He says he'll be ready, so let's go!

I want to beat the Badgers as much as anyone, but Cobb has an NFL future ahead of him and Coach is looking out for Cobb's best interests. I appreciate that about Coach Kill. He has his priorities in the right place.

+1

Agreed. Hope for the best, but would be saying the same things as Coach in the media and not tipping my cards one way or the other until the game actually starts on Saturday.

As a coach I would be saying that we definitely will be playing Cobb and that he is 100%. This way Wisconsin's defense only prepares for our normal offense (cobb up the middle on first down). If cobb isn't able to go our offense may have to be very different (kirkwood and williams are OK but just not as good and who knows if Berkley will be back he looked pretty woozy). If cobb can't go then more pressure will be on Leidner to hit some big pass plays and hopefully we would be able to surprise their defense a little and get a quick start.

This proves Kill is a helluva a coach, mentor and friend of his players. Hope you're good to go Cobb.

Hate to burst your bubble...but without Cobb, we don't have an snow-cone's chance in
Tuscon of going to the CCG.

While I understand your position, and I agree with your high praise of Cobb, I just don't understand how you can't imagine Kirkwood and Nugget getting it done. They're not Cobb, but as a combo they could easily put up 200 yards next week. How quickly we forget what we've seen these two do.

That's alright Gopher028 hasn't felt we'd win any of the meaningful games we've played all year.

Hate to burst your bubble...but without Cobb, we don't have an snow-cone's chance in
Tuscon of going to the CCG.

You are not exactly a heated pin when it comes to bursting bubbles. You suggested the Gophers would be down "35-0" to OSU by half and followed that up Saturday with this:

Gopher028 said:
Eff this game, it's been pre determined were not going to win this game. 7-5 and another crappy bowl loss.

The Gophers have played other guys (ex Leidner and a couple of the Offensive Lineman) who probably didn't make that 85-90% healthy guideline. The difference is a hobbled/limited RB is going to be less effective than guys at many other positions.

hammies don't heal very fast. I doubt we see him out there.

hammies don't heal very fast. I doubt we see him out there.

Depends, Cobb got ice on it quick, that probably saved it a bit.
We all remember that Leidner and Maxx we're not supposed to play against Michigan right?, Kill has been coy with this type of situation before to our advantage, doesn't mean Cobb will be 100% but I wouldn't doubt it.

You are not exactly a heated pin when it comes to bursting bubbles. You suggested the Gophers would be down "35-0" to OSU by half and followed that up Saturday with this:

Gopher028 is the most egregious example of the overreacting that goes on in this board. Just look at any game thread and he does it there too. Only commenting because I saw him do it in the Nebraska thread at the half after which we proceeded to right the ship and win.

Gopher028 - if you believe the program has turned a corner then quit acting like being 7 or 10 points down is some insurmountable task. Good teams win games like that all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I understand your position, and I agree with your high praise of Cobb, I just don't understand how you can't imagine Kirkwood and Nugget getting it done. They're not Cobb, but as a combo they could easily put up 200 yards next week. How quickly we forget what we've seen these two do.

Fair and good points DA. Cobb has been so good this year that it is pretty easy to forget (I am guilty of it myself) that Kirk and Nugget have done some pretty good work at times on the field over the last couple seasons.

I believe David will give 100% and he will be on the field ! Senior year will be tough to keep him off the field

Kirkwood needs a " hole " Cobb finds them. That's what makes him such a great RB. He has great vision and cutting ability.

The only thing that I am hopefull of is that the ice on Cobbs leg was low on the hamstring down by the knee. If it is just a pull (not a tear which it doesn't sound like they are doing an MRI so probably not) then it might be a minor tweak that could be worked out this week.

They will have treatment on it for the next few days and then get him on the bike to loosen it up and see how it goes. Wells had a similar tweak and was able to effective play through it a few weeks back...so there is hope.

Kirkwood needs a " hole " Cobb finds them. That's what makes him such a great RB. He has great vision and cutting ability.

Yup, if Cobb can't go. We'll need the O-line to step up and create some larger than normal holes for these guys.

Yup, if Cobb can't go. We'll need the O-line to step up and create some holes for these guys.

More likely is we will need Leidner to go 15-20 with 200 yards to win. If Sconnie can stay 8 in the box all day we have very little chance winning no matter who is running the ball.

Got to throw the ball against Becky and force Becky into 3rd and long and force them to throw...that is their weakness.

So these two are going to run for 200 easily against a defense that gives up less then 100 yards rushing a game. Yep that makes sense to me.

Doing my best Captain Obvious, not having Cobb on the field would be a major blow, but Kirkwood/Williams could do some damage. A couple of pounders with fresh legs. They don't have home run speed (but then neither does Cobb), but if the line steps up and plays the way it has been lately, those two could grind it out.

Cobb is obviously better than both but Nugget and Kirkwoodland are good enough backs to carry the load for a game and get a win. The real question is if the OL can step it up. Cobb's ability to cut back, find small holes and break tackles has created a lot of yardage this year that the OL didn't give.

More likely is we will need Leidner to go 15-20 with 200 yards to win. If Sconnie can stay 8 in the box all day we have very little chance winning no matter who is running the ball.

Got to throw the ball against Becky and force Becky into 3rd and long and force them to throw...that is their weakness.

Yes, we're going to have to be able to throw regardless, whether Cobb is playing or not. Wisconsin's defense can take the run away if they focus on it.

The difference is those few plays where Cobb finds something that the other backs would not. He's savvy and patient.

Top Bottom