AP: Ranking the Top 10 Rivalry Trophies (1. Axe 2. Floyd 3. Jug)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gophers sweep the Top 3!

Per the AP:

And when it comes to trophy games, Minnesota has the best.

The full trophy rankings:

1. Paul Bunyan's Axe (Minnesota-Wisconsin game)
2. Floyd of Rosedale (Iowa-Minnesota)
3. Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-Michigan)

4. Old Oaken Bucket (Purdue-Indiana)
5. Platypus Trophy (Oregon-Oregon State)
6. Golden Hat (Oklahoma-Texas)
7. Jeweled Shillelagh (USC-Notre Dame)
8. Commander-in-Chief's (Army-Navy)
9. Stanford Axe (Stanford-Cal)
10) Keg of Nails (Cincinnati-Louisville)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...g-the-nation-best-traveling.html#.VHJMUsmfinw

Go Gophers!!

Too bad the Apple Cup got snubbed, as a son of Washington, I was hoping to see them in there.

I might have a slightly different order for the top three but can't really argue as I agree they're the three best in sports. I think the best only thing missing from the top 10 is "The Chair" ;-)

Gophers sweep the Top 3!

Per the AP:

And when it comes to trophy games, Minnesota has the best.

The full trophy rankings:

1. Paul Bunyan's Axe (Minnesota-Wisconsin game)
2. Floyd of Rosedale (Iowa-Minnesota)
3. Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-Michigan)
4. Old Oaken Bucket (Purdue-Indiana)
5. Platypus Trophy (Oregon-Oregon State)
6. Golden Hat (Oklahoma-Texas)
7. Jeweled Shillelagh (USC-Notre Dame)
8. Commander-in-Chief's (Army-Navy)
9. Stanford Axe (Stanford-Cal)
10) Keg of Nails (Cincinnati-Louisville)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/22/5333777/rating-the-nation-best-traveling.html#.VHJMUsmfinw

Go Gophers!!

Look out Old Oaken Bucket, the Bits of Broken Chair Trophy is rapidly ascending the college trophy ranks

I agree, Bits of Broken Chair needs to be #4.

Strictly speaking the Commander-In-Chief trophy isn't for the Army-Navy game, it's between Army, Navy and Air Force. It's a cool trophy, but the CiC trophy ranks second to the Army-Navy game. I was in the Air Force, but Army-Navy will always be a much bigger event than Army-Air Force or Navy-Air Force.

Too bad the Apple Cup got snubbed, as a son of Washington, I was hoping to see them in there.

The Apple Cup is one the more under rated trophy games. It is a huge event in the state with Husky and Cougar gear proudly displayed practically everywhere the week before the game.

11. Apple Cup

8035. Governor's Victory Bell
8036. Getting Hit By the Team Bus on the Way Home
8037. Freedom Trophy

9999. Rejected Iowa-Iowa State "Cyhawk" trophy with man on one knee holding corn.

I'm loving how discussions on this board always end up with hating Iowa! I didn't see it coming!! Today, WFGF; you win the internet. Honorable mention goes to BBQP.

I think the LBJug has lost some of its luster since it has been mostly not contested inthe last 40 years! All those blue M's make it less of a rivalry! I've always liked Floyd best as I hate Iowa more than all the other schools combined! (another reason to hate Iowa - Corn Fed Girls!) But the Axe is the oldest. And it is pretty freaking cool to symbolically chop down the field goal posts with it after taking it away from your rival on their field!

Let's hope that Jerry goes out and helps the guys "chop" after Saturday's game!

PS. Anyone know the last time the Gophers possessed all three at the same time?

All-time Records for each Trophy:
Floyd: Gophers lead 63-44-2
Axe: Gophers lead 59-56-8
Jug: Michigan leads 73-25-3

The Apple Cup series has plenty of vitriol, but the trophy itself is rather underwhelming. I was expecting a giant bronze apple.

ncf_a_wulff1_sw_200.jpg

The Gophers briefly had all three in 1978, from October 14th through the 28th. The Gophers had beaten Michigan and Wisconsin in 1977, but lost to Iowa. In the 14th of October, 1978, The Gophers beat Iowa to get all three, but two weeks later, lost to Michigan.

The last time the Gophers won all three in the same season was 1967.

I don't know why everyone is so high on the Axe as a trophy in and of itself. The rivalry? Fantastic. The trophy is more in the vein of recent Freedom and Heroes trophies than the Jug or Pig in terms of how it was created. It (nor the Bacon before it) were really organic or with a really cool story (ex. 2 Governors betting their states' prize hogs).

The trophy itself is pretty cool - can't beat a giant axe, but I'd still give the nod to the pig and jug as physical representations of trophies.

Just my take.

Beau Allen chimes in:

Q: What does the rivalry mean to you, being a native of Minnesota and player at Wisconsin?

A: It’s hard to describe. But the first thing that comes to my mind is the Axe. It’s without a doubt the coolest rivalry game trophy in the nation. A big, bad-ass six-foot tall axe. I don’t think there is a college kid in Madison or Minneapolis who doesn’t get excited when they see that trophy. The rivalry is well over 100 years old. You have people from Wisconsin going to Minnesota and people from Minnesota going to Wisconsin. There is a lot of history there.

http://btn.com/2014/11/25/beau-alle...he-coolest-rivalry-game-trophy-in-the-nation/

Go Gophers!!

I don't know why everyone is so high on the Axe as a trophy in and of itself. The rivalry? Fantastic. The trophy is more in the vein of recent Freedom and Heroes trophies than the Jug or Pig in terms of how it was created. It (nor the Bacon before it) were really organic or with a really cool story (ex. 2 Governors betting their states' prize hogs).

The trophy itself is pretty cool - can't beat a giant axe, but I'd still give the nod to the pig and jug as physical representations of trophies.

Just my take.
It's been around long enough and is cool/unique enough to overcome the lack of backstory. The problem with the new trophies like the Freedom Trophy is that not only do they have no backstory, they are not unique or interesting to look at.

Top Bottom