College Gameday is in....

gopherskynet

Reaction score
Alabama, for the Iron Bowl.

Not a shocker, but this still makes me feel a bit bummed. I know this has been discussed here before, specifically last year when we felt there was a decent chance it could have been here for the axe game. However, this year I feel there is more of a case for the game for Gameday in Madison.

I "get" that the SEC is amazing, awesome, minor league of the NFL, etc. etc. I also understand the close ties of the SEC network and ESPN. But, look, every week the SEC has a match-up that could be on Gameday. This week this is really the game of the year for the B1G, and I am sorta being a homer, but I think Becky fans should be equally peeved.

(I know there may be BTN/ESPN things were it couldn't "actually" be on Gameday, so think of this as more of a hypothetical argument.)

*You have a program clearly on the rise and playing good football right now in Minnesota. With a coach whose story already has the national media swooning. The Gophers will be looking to hold all rivalry trophies for the first time ever? (or at least in a very long time) Looking for their first B1G title in 40+ years (the fact I am writing that makes me giddy). Not even mentioning the whole resume thing with TCU and OSU.

*And you have the Badgers with a Heisman candidate and looking to set up a potential top ten matchup in the B1G title game.

Making this the most important Axe game in my life and probably a lot longer. This being the oldest rivalry in the FBS, it just seems like the perfect storm for this game to be the ideal candidate for a Gameday.

Just curious what everyones thoughts were on this especially considering how much it was discussed last year and the idea of the B1G and their national perception this year.

With all this being said, I am stoked that the game is at 2:30 and have enjoyed this Gopher season as much as everyone else here has, this has been such a fun team to watch.

Go Gophers, and cya in Madison!!

:D:eek:

I get that the Iron Bowl is probably the biggest rivalry in 2014 in terms of competition and prestige between programs.

But going to Alabama twice in three weeks is stupid. That's not what Gameday was started for.

Has there been a national championship game without one of these two in the last half decade? That's why Gameday was always going to be there.

As soon as it was decided this weeks game will be on BTN, there was 0 chance Gameday would be going to Madison.

I think we should have an investigation. Ditto for the Big Ten to have the audacity to call teams with the same record co-champs. ... the audacity!

Alabama, for the Iron Bowl.

Not a shocker, but this still makes me feel a bit bummed. I know this has been discussed here before, specifically last year when we felt there was a decent chance it could have been here for the axe game. However, this year I feel there is more of a case for the game for Gameday in Madison.

I "get" that the SEC is amazing, awesome, minor league of the NFL, etc. etc. I also understand the close ties of the SEC network and ESPN. But, look, every week the SEC has a match-up that could be on Gameday. This week this is really the game of the year for the B1G, and I am sorta being a homer, but I think Becky fans should be equally peeved.

(I know there may be BTN/ESPN things were it couldn't "actually" be on Gameday, so think of this as more of a hypothetical argument.)

*You have a program clearly on the rise and playing good football right now in Minnesota. With a coach whose story already has the national media swooning. The Gophers will be looking to hold all rivalry trophies for the first time ever? (or at least in a very long time) Looking for their first B1G title in 40+ years (the fact I am writing that makes me giddy). Not even mentioning the whole resume thing with TCU and OSU.

*And you have the Badgers with a Heisman candidate and looking to set up a potential top ten matchup in the B1G title game.

Making this the most important Axe game in my life and probably a lot longer. This being the oldest rivalry in the FBS, it just seems like the perfect storm for this game to be the ideal candidate for a Gameday.

Just curious what everyones thoughts were on this especially considering how much it was discussed last year and the idea of the B1G and their national perception this year.

With all this being said, I am stoked that the game is at 2:30 and have enjoyed this Gopher season as much as everyone else here has, this has been such a fun team to watch.

Go Gophers, and cya in Madison!!

:D:eek:
I think the game of the year was tOSU and MSU and they were at that game.

I quit watching Gameday a long time ago. Haven't watched it once all season. It became an SEC pregame propaganda gala and in the process, lost me. I voted with my feet.

VOTING by remote control is a great idea!

What if one demerit was given to each political candidate if a remote control was used to change the channel every time a political ad came on. Vote turnout would be an all time high!

I quit watching Gameday a long time ago. Haven't watched it once all season. It became an SEC pregame propaganda gala and in the process, lost me. I voted with my feet.

Best chance for us to be involved with Gameday will be week one next year when a top 10 TCU comes here to face a top 15 Gopher team.

The TCU game will be Thursday night, no? No Gameday for Thursday night games. Besides, I'm sure they are going to want to kick off the season with an SEC game to set up a season long tour of SEC country, prior to closing things out at the Iron Bowl in 2015.

The TCU game will be Thursday night, no? No Gameday for Thursday night games. Besides, I'm sure they are going to want to kick off the season with an SEC game to set up a season long tour of SEC country, prior to closing things out at the Iron Bowl in 2015.

That stinks. A season opening game with what will likely be beautiful weather would be a perfect weekend to showcase our program and the city of Minneapolis. I just hate that so many of our high profile games have to come in November when all any of the national media can talk about is how cold and awful the conditions are and all they can show are people bundled up like they're climbing Everest. We do well, as a general populous in that weather and it defines B1G football to a certain extent but to those outside of the Midwest (in particular, southern recruits) see that and at least some probably say no thanks. Whatever, we've got something going and no doubt we'll have opportunities in the near term. Gameday will come. Have faith.

If we become a top 10 team they will come here even if we're not playing a ranked team.

Has there been a national championship game without one of these two in the last half decade? That's why Gameday was always going to be there.

Last game was 2009 Florida vs OU (deciding 2008 Champion)
2010-2014 games involved 1 of those 2 yes.
Prior to that, 1992 game with Alabama vs Miami in Bowl Coalition Alliance

Minnesota-Wisconsin being on BTN would not have precluded Gameday from being in Madison.

Gameday has gone to South Bend, when the game is obviously on NBC, they have also been to games that were shown on FOX primetime.

While obviously not getting gameday this year is a bummer, I think we will have a shot next year when wisky and us are a top teams again fighting it out in the west. We have been set up perfectly by the BIG to be a marquee matchup and flagship game at the end of the season for the foreseeable future. HATE, Oldest rivalry, THE AXE, etc is going to drum up a lot of interest if we can sustain success for a few seasons. Therefore I fully expect to get a gameday soon (Couple Years), most likely in the last week of the season when corso leaves goldie's head on because he is freezing his arse off. move over OSU and scUM, there is a new "the game".

I wouldn't want to waste OUR Gameday debut in a city other than Minneapolis...especially Madison. I would rather our stadium and city get the publicity than the further romanticizing of Madison.

Yes it would be great to have gameday this weekend but there are 3 games on Saturday that are obviously bigger in terms of rankings, and all 3 of them are in-state rivalries. If Arizona-ASU played on Saturday there would be four. ESPN isn't going to pick a fluffy angle for gameday on the last weekend of the regular season. If we want to have a chance for gameday in the future,then it would help for the Big Ten to do well in bowl games starting this year.

I wouldn't want to waste OUR Gameday debut in a city other than Minneapolis...especially Madison. I would rather our stadium and city get the publicity than the further romanticizing of Madison.

Agreed... Gameday being in Madison gives the sconnies more to "brag" about. Let's have gameday in Minneapolis for our debut.

Who cares where those bastards go! Beat Bucky and the Buckeyes and next year they will all want to come to Minny!

Top Bottom