Gophers Bowl Projections: Week of 11/23

So what scoreboard watching can we do this weekend?

Sounds like we want to root for the Gophers, Rutgers, Georgia, and Missouri? Explanations aren't important as I'm too dumb to figure it out anyway but I love me some scoreboard watching.

Sounds like we want to root for the Gophers, Rutgers, Georgia, and Missouri? Explanations aren't important as I'm too dumb to figure it out anyway but I love me some scoreboard watching.

I would actually like a good summary of who we should be cheering for. Great idea.

Also, is it time to get off the TCU bandwagon and hope OSU gets in the playoff? I kind of wanted TCU to finish top 5 so they would be ranked decently high next year for our opener but if getting OSU in the playoff helps the Gophers at all I'm all for pulling for Texas this weekend.

Cheer Hard For:

Ohio State: We want them to keep winning unless we beat them which guarantees us a spot in a major bowl.

Michigan State: Pending we lose to Wisconsin, we want two teams in the New Year's 6.

Georgia: We want them to stay ahead of Michigan State so that MSU doesn't go to the Orange bowl which causes the Big Ten to lose the citrus bowl.

Missouri: We want them to clinch the SEC East so that Georgia doesn't have to play another tough team and lose.

Cheer quietly for:

Rutgers: While it's highly unlikely that Maryland jumps us for a bowl if they finish 5-3. It would be nice to remove all doubt. Hope that Rutgers wins this game, but don't care all at that much.

Iowa: Yes it's painful but an 9-3 Nebraska could jump an 8-4 Gophers. It's been done before.

Cheer against:

Mississippi State, Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, TCU, and Baylor - We want a Big Ten team in the playoff if we don't win the conference championship.

I have to wait to cheer for OSU to get into the playoffs. If we win this weekend then I don't want OSU to make the playoffs because that means we lose the big ten championship game. Plus cheering for OSU to make the playoffs basically means you should cheer for Wisconsin. ish

I have to wait to cheer for OSU to get into the playoffs. If we win this weekend then I don't want OSU to make the playoffs because that means we lose the big ten championship game. Plus cheering for OSU to make the playoffs basically means you should cheer for Wisconsin. ish

Cheer for OSU until we play them. Beat Ohio State and we clinch a major bowl. Lose and we still go to the Citrus. There is no conflict of interest here. You don't have to cheer against the Gophers. If we beat OSU, we don't care that they miss the playoffs.

And in reference to your last point. Ohio State fans will say they'd rather play Wisconsin. In reality, their opponent will likely have no bearing on weather or not they make the playoffs. Most media types believe they control their own destiny since Miss St will be dormant on championship week.

Cheer Hard For:

Ohio State: We want them to keep winning unless we beat them which guarantees us a spot in a major bowl.

Michigan State: Pending we lose to Wisconsin, we want two teams in the New Year's 6.

Georgia: We want them to stay ahead of Michigan State so that MSU doesn't go to the Orange bowl which causes the Big Ten to lose the citrus bowl.

Missouri: We want them to clinch the SEC East so that Georgia doesn't have to play another tough team and lose.

Cheer quietly for:

Rutgers: While it's highly unlikely that Maryland jumps us for a bowl if they finish 5-3. It would be nice to remove all doubt. Hope that Rutgers wins this game, but don't care all at that much.

Iowa: Yes it's painful but an 9-3 Nebraska could jump an 8-4 Gophers. It's been done before.

Cheer against:

Mississippi State, Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, TCU, and Baylor - We want a Big Ten team in the playoff if we don't win the conference championship.

Perfect write up! thanks!

Interesting, I like the concept. Any chance you have a source/link related to this info?

I got information from 2 articles and listening weekly to Bowl Game Radio:

1) One by Teddy Greinstein: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-big-ten-bowl-games-spt-1121-20141120-column.html
Where he mentions the Bowl, School, Conference rankings

2) One in Gazette: http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/bowl-projections-south-or-west-for-iowa-20141123
Explaining the Orange / Citrus situation and

3) Listening to Bowl Game Radio Network on the Mighty 1090 out of San Diego. 8 PM CT every Wednesday evening. Go here: http://www.mighty1090.com/ and click Listen Live. I know that Jike Singleton and I have listened to it. 2 Wednesdays ago (Post IOWA thrashing) Ted Tollner talked about 4 West Targets - Wisky, Nebraska, Minnesota, IOWA. No EAST teams mentioned and PAC SOUTH - no North mentioned. Same thing last week. The 11/12 episode had National University President on. He spoke about T. Denny Sanford's philanthropic efforts to National University (the Bowl's sponsor). They concluded at the end of the 11/12 show, that they would all LOVE to see USC vs Minnesota in a Prime Time spot. Tollner has also stated how impressed he was with the Gophers in terms of their level of play against Ohio State.

Selfishly though, I'm hoping for January 1 in Florida.

Buck

I got information from 2 articles:

1) One by Teddy Greinstein: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-big-ten-bowl-games-spt-1121-20141120-column.html
Where he mentions the Bowl, School, Conference rankings

2) One in Gazette: http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/bowl-projections-south-or-west-for-iowa-20141123
Explaining the Orange / Citrus situation and

3) Listening to Bowl Game Radio Network on the Mighty 1090 out of San Diego. 8 PM CT every Wednesday evening. Go here: http://www.mighty1090.com/ and click Listen Live. I know that Jike Singleton and I have listened to it. 2 Wednesdays ago (Post IOWA thrashing) Ted Tollner talked about 4 West Targets - Wisky, Nebraska, Minnesota, IOWA. No EAST teams mentioned and PAC SOUTH - no North mentioned. Same thing last week. The 11/12 episode had National University President on. He spoke about T. Denny Sanford's philanthropic efforts to National University (the Bowl's sponsor). They concluded at the end of the 11/12 show, that they would all LOVE to see USC vs Minnesota in a Prime Time spot. Tollner has also stated how impressed he was with the Gophers in terms of their level of play against Ohio State.

Selfishly though, I'm hoping for January 1 in Florida.

Buck

Great info that I'll dive into later tonight, thanks. Working on a 2500 word presentation deck for a class called "Business Communications" for now... :puke:

Thanks for the summary. Very helpful. What happens if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff? Would they be orange bowl bound?

Go Missouri. Please don't choke to Arkansas.

No, they would not. B1G champion not in the playoff can't play in the Orange Bowl.

What I'm curious about is whether they can have a B1G at-large vs SEC at-large in the Orange Bowl?

Stewart Mandel at Foxsports.com

Heart of Dallas: Rutgers vs. Rice
Quick Lane: Northwestern vs. Virginia Tech
Holiday: Iowa vs. USC
Pinstripe: Penn State vs. Duke
Foster Farms: Nebraska vs. Utah
Outback: Minnesota vs. Ole Miss
Citrus: Wisconsin vs. Georgia
TaxSlayer: Maryland vs. Missouri
Peach: Michigan State vs. Marshall
Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Arizona

I didn't read entire thread, so someone may have said this already, but great part is, no matter what, we'll be going to a good location against a quality team. Florida (Orlando, Tampa or Jax) or CA (San Fran or San Diego). Beats anyplace we've gone for a very long time!!!

per ESPN:

Chick-fil-A Peach/Goodyear Cotton/VIZIO Fiesta: Ohio State
Chick-fil-A Peach/Goodyear Cotton/VIZIO Fiesta: Michigan State
Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus: Wisconsin
Outback: Minnesota
National University Holiday: Iowa
TaxSlayer/Franklin American Mortgage Music City: Nebraska
Foster Farms: Maryland
New Era Pinstripe: Penn State
Quick Lane: Rutgers
Zaxby's Heart of Dallas: Northwestern

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/111643/big-ten-bowl-projections-week-13-6

Go Gophers!!

This ESPN has us either going to:
(Brett McMurphy) Holiday Bowl- Minnesota vs. Arizona State
or
(Mark Schlabach) TaxSlayer Bowl- Minnesota vs. Ole Miss

Top Bottom