Gophers Bowl Projections: Week of 11/23

Umm. Yes!

Realistically, I think this is the bowl we go to if we beat Wisconsin. If we lose, I think it's bumped down to Outback.

At this point, no matter what happens, we should be at worst Big Ten team number 4. If we lose to Wisconsin, obviously OSU and Wisconsin are above us, and I submit only MSU also belongs there. The winner of Iowa/Nebraska would be tied with us, but we would hold head to head, and Maryland could be tied with a win against Rutgers, but we would have had the tougher schedule and the better OOC loss.

At this point, no matter what happens, we should be at worst Big Ten team number 4. If we lose to Wisconsin, obviously OSU and Wisconsin are above us, and I submit only MSU also belongs there. The winner of Iowa/Nebraska would be tied with us, but we would hold head to head, and Maryland could be tied with a win against Rutgers, but we would have had the tougher schedule and the better OOC loss.

Agreed. But some projections have Maryland in Outback and Holiday Bowl is targeting B1G West team. I hope a 1st year conference team, playing a considerably weaker schedule, and who has played in January 1 Bowl somewhat recently under Friedgen isn't selected on basis of Geography.
2 words = GO RUTGERS!

I agree we are now the #4 team. It will be interesting to see what Delany and Co. think when the B1G bowl placements are announced.

I agree we are now the #4 team. It will be interesting to see what Delany and Co. think when the B1G bowl placements are announced.

Bet we are punished for creating a trophy that was not pre-approved by Delaney's corporate focus group consisting of the most boring, sterile-minded humans ever.

Ole Miss in the Outback?

Projecting ahead, I'd go with Gophers vs. Ole Miss in the Outback.

The New Year 6 bowls. Record/rankings are projected:
Peach: #7 Georgia (10-2) vs. (non-Group of 5) Boise State (11-2)
Fiesta: #8 UCLA (10-3) vs. #10 Michigan State (10-2)
Orange: #5 Mississippi State (11-1) vs. (ACC at-large) Clemson (9-3)
Cotton: #6 Baylor (11-1) vs. #9 Arizona (10-2)
Rose: #1 Oregon (12-1) vs. #4 Ohio State (12-1)
Sugar: #2 Alabama (12-1) vs. #3 Florida State (13-0)

Boise State gets the nod over Cincinnati (American), Marshall (Conference USA), Northern Illinois (MAC), and whoever wins the Sun Belt.

New Year 6 Bids
Pac 12 (3)
SEC (3)
ACC (2)
Big Ten (2)
Big XII (1)
Mountain West (1)

TCU left out because I think they'll get dumped by Texas. Arizona/Arizona State winner waiting to pounce if that happens.

If we lose to Wisconsin we will end with the same record as Maryland. We have had a tougher schedule and did better with same opponents. If we get passed up by them I will be pissed.

If we lose to Wisconsin we will end with the same record as Maryland. We have had a tougher schedule and did better with same opponents. If we get passed up by them I will be pissed.

The only "passing" can be done by the B1G office. Under the new bowl process, the B1G office places the Gophers in the bowl of the B1G office's choice.

Peach: #7 Georgia (10-2) vs. (Group of 5) Boise State (11-2)

Boise State gets the nod over Cincinnati (American), Marshall (Conference USA), Northern Illinois (MAC), and whoever wins the Sun Belt.

New Year 6 Bids
Pac 12 (3)
SEC (3)
ACC (2)
Big Ten (2)
Big XII (1)
Mountain West (1)

TCU left out because I think they'll get dumped by Texas. Arizona/Arizona State winner waiting to pounce if that happens.

Boise will not be making a New Years bowl after they lose to Utah State next week!

I agree, but I have seen it suggested that Delaney will try to make the addition of Maryland and Rutgers look good by giving them the best bowl they can, which I could see happening.

I agree, but I have seen it suggested that Delaney will try to make the addition of Maryland and Rutgers look good by giving them the best bowl they can, which I could see happening.

Its impressive that he might find a way to make me think even less of him.

Peach: #7 Georgia (10-2) vs. (Group of 5) Boise State (11-2)

New Year 6 Bids
Pac 12 (3)
SEC (3)
ACC (2)
Big Ten (2)
Big XII (1)
Mountain West (1)

Just for fun, what happens if the Gophers (or god forbid, Wisconsin) wins the Big Ten title game? Are they guaranteed a spot in one of the New Year's 6 bowls?

I think right now, there's a lot more buzz for the Gophers than there is for Maryland, so I would guess that the Gophers would get the higher bowl bid. Of course, it wouldn't hurt a bit if Maryland lost to Rutgers... or if we just went out and beat Wisconsin.

Just for fun, what happens if the Gophers (or god forbid, Wisconsin) wins the Big Ten title game? Are they guaranteed a spot in one of the New Year's 6 bowls?

Yes, the Big Ten champion (as well as the ACC, Big XII, Pac 12, SEC champions) is guaranteed a spot in one of the New Year's 6 bowls.

Yes, the Big Ten champion (as well as the ACC, Big XII, Pac 12, SEC champions) is guaranteed a spot in one of the New Year's 6 bowls.

Only exception is if Orange (who has to take B1G 3x in 12 years) selects a B1G team. In that case, B1G Champ would play on 12/31 this year. If that happens, then Citrus has to take a team from ACC as a rep. At least, as I understand it.

I sure as hell hope, when making his Maryland "placement", he considers the behavior exhibited by Maryland prior to and during the PSU game. Also hope he considers / values the U being in the B1G all along. If I hear "it came down to Geography or best matchup", I will vomit.

Thanks for the clarification. That could come into play this season. If FSU is in the CFP I suspect the Orange Bowl won't be real thrilled with its other ACC options. Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Louisville all would have at least 3 losses. Guessing they'd jump at the opportunity for a 10-2 Michigan State to play an SEC opponent.

I thought the B1G runner up is tied to the Citrus Bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the B1G runner up is tied to the Citrus Bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it's that cut and dry. This is what the big ten website says about the citrus bowl:

CAPITAL ONE ORANGE BOWL (Miami, Fla.) or BUFFALO WILD WINGS CITRUS BOWL (Orlando, Fla.)
1. When not hosting a semifinal, the Orange Bowl will select the highest‐ranked team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame to face an ACC team. The Big Ten is guaranteed a minimum of three Orange Bowl appearances over the 2014‐25 seasons.
2. The Big Ten Champion cannot play in the Orange Bowl.
3. If a Big Ten team is not selected by the Orange Bowl, the Citrus Bowl will submit a request for a Big Ten team.
4. The Citrus Bowl will feature at least five different Big Ten schools over the six‐year agreement.

SBNation

Citrus Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Auburn
Outback Bowl: Maryland vs. Ole Miss
Holiday Bowl: Minnesota vs. Arizona

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ons-2014-college-football-playoff-predictions

If Barry Alvarez wants to avoid sending Wisconsin to Florida for a bowl game again, as I've seen suggested, maybe Wisconsin would get the Holiday Bowl and Minnesota would go to the Outback or Citrus?

Bowls rank Top 3 (in their order of preference)
Universities rank Top 3 (in their order of preference)
League looks @ both and assignments made - with a number of factors considered

If B1G is represented in Orange, Citrus berth goes to an ACC school.

Pure guess ....... IF it were today. We are in San Diego vs USC. They seemed thrilled with the prospectof that match-up.

Phil Steele: http://www.philsteele.com/bowls/14-15/bowlprojections.html

Cotton Bowl: Ohio State vs TCU
Fiesta Bowl: Michigan State vs Arizona
Citrus Bowl: Wisconsin vs Ole Miss
Outback Bowl: Minnesota vs Missouri
Holiday Bowl: Nebraska vs Arizona State
TaxSlayer Bowl: Iowa vs Auburn
Foster Farms Bowl: Maryland vs USC
Pinstripe Bowl: Penn State vs Louisville
Quick Lane Bowl: Northwestern vs BC
Heart of Dallas Bowl: Rutgers vs Rice

Bowls rank Top 3 (in their order of preference)
Universities rank Top 3 (in their order of preference)
League looks @ both and assignments made - with a number of factors considered

If B1G is represented in Orange, Citrus berth goes to an ACC school.

Pure guess ....... IF it were today. We are in San Diego vs USC. They seemed thrilled with the prospectof that match-up.

Interesting, I like the concept. Any chance you have a source/link related to this info?

What makes all these predictors so confident that MSU isn't going to the orange bowl? Effectively bumping everyone else down one slot with the loss of the citrus.

Here's an article breaking down the ACC bowl picture:

http://m.news-record.com/sports/college/breaking-down-the-acc-s-bowl-scenarios/article_f5dd5026-740b-11e4-9222-77af0c465915.html?mode=jqm

Basically, Michigan State can force its way into the Orange Bowl by being the highest-ranked non-playoff team from the Big Ten or SEC. Right now, they're a spot below Georgia from having that distinction.

If Sparty goes to Miami, the ACC would claim the Big Ten's Citrus Bowl slot, so we should root for Georgia to remain ahead of Michigan State in the rankings. This would be best accomplished by Georgia beating Georgia Tech, and Missouri defeating Arkansas to win the SEC East - that way, Georgia is in the clubhouse at 10-2.

Here's an article breaking down the ACC bowl picture:

http://m.news-record.com/sports/college/breaking-down-the-acc-s-bowl-scenarios/article_f5dd5026-740b-11e4-9222-77af0c465915.html?mode=jqm

Basically, Michigan State can force its way into the Orange Bowl by being the highest-ranked non-playoff team from the Big Ten or SEC. Right now, they're a spot below Georgia from having that distinction.

If Sparty goes to Miami, the ACC would claim the Big Ten's Citrus Bowl slot, so we should root for Georgia to remain ahead of Michigan State in the rankings. This would be best accomplished by MGeegia beating Georgia Tech, and Missouri defeating Arkansas to win the SEC East - that way, Georgia is in the clubhouse at 10-2.

Thanks for the summary. Very helpful. What happens if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff? Would they be orange bowl bound?

Go Missouri. Please don't choke to Arkansas.

Top Bottom