Free Throw Shooting

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
It looks like we shot under 60% again last night against the D2 opponent (I didn't watch the game). Obviously, when we are winning games by double digit margins, it is a meaningless stat in the box score. However, if we lose a tight one because we barely hit half of our free throws, that's going to be frustrating. Do we think this is just early season jitters?

I'm worried. I think it's important to have the ball in Andre's hands in late game situations. I think are big men(who are terrible) are getting to the line a lot cause they're going against smaller players who are forced to foul. So the numbers might be a little skewed. In the Louisville game though there were a couple of times where missing the front end of a one and one led to 6-0 and 8-0 runs. It's important b/c we have to be able to set up our press.

If you look at the starters - the FT % is above 70% .. It's McNeil (2 for 15) Martin and Mason that have brought the team % so low. Even though "free throws don't matter" it is concerning but with a few more games I feel the team % will improve.

I'm worried. I think it's important to have the ball in Andre's hands in late game situations. I think are big men(who are terrible) are getting to the line a lot cause they're going against smaller players who are forced to foul. So the numbers might be a little skewed. In the Louisville game though there were a couple of times where missing the front end of a one and one led to 6-0 and 8-0 runs. It's important b/c we have to be able to set up our press.

Terrible free throw shooters or just terrible in general?

If you look at the starters - the FT % is above 70% .. It's McNeil (2 for 15) Martin and Mason that have brought the team % so low. Even though "free throws don't matter" it is concerning but with a few more games I feel the team % will improve.

McNeil is 2 for 15 from the line? Any self respecting basketball player can go 2 for 15 with their eyes closed using their off hand.

Terrible maybe a little to harsh but all have major weaknesses including our starters. Some of that is FT shooting but that more refers to our bench.

The Day Day stat did shock me a little too he was 61% last year over a small sample size but his will go up. I wonder what kind of punishment Coach brings out when they don't make there FT's b/c he already has them running all the time.

Read the stats wrong : McNeil is 2 for 8 .. still.

McNeil is 2 for 15 from the line? Any self respecting basketball player can go 2 for 15 with their eyes closed using their off hand.

I don't think it would be hyperbole to suggest that a fair percentage of Gopherholers could grab a ball, step up to a free thrown line, and make it least 3 of 15 free throws. I'd like my chances doing it underhand.

Edit: Just saw someone corrected that McNeil is not 2 for 15. Still, if you let me shoot free throws right now (and I'm not a basketball guy), I'd put my over/under right around 2 for my total made out of eight chances.

Yeah, he's 2/8. Martin's 3/9 as well. But outside of that, I don't see anything too concerning. I guess Mason at 6/11 a little bit, but yeah, the truly key guys are doing okay I think. I think as things tighten up, and the right guys are getting to that line more often, we'll see an uptick. I'm not too concerned at this point.

Martin has always been an awful free throw shooter. He'll continue to struggle. Would keep the ball out of his hands if it's a close game late and the other team is trying to foul a Gopher.

Otherwise, no issue here to address. Tell kids to relax and move on.

Mason won't keep missing free throws. Day-Day will improve. My big concern is Eliason. He might not start, but he'll get a lot of minutes and give up a lot of potential points at the line. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the difference in a game or two.

Too early to tell with Squirrel, but he's a guy who we need to make free throws, too.

Top Bottom