How about some read option sets with both quarterbacks or two running backs.

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
Why not run some read option sets with both Strevlar and Leidner in backfield or with both Cobb and Kirkwood.
You can fake the dive to Kirkwood and run Cobb on the stretch play or vice versa. Same with Strevlar and Leidner both back there you can run some wheel route stuff where one quarterback throws to the other after getting lost in the muck or fake some boot out stuff.
With Strevlar back there you have the potential for play action, the fake to Cobb, motion from Strevlar and than Leidner is open on the back side for a boot out run that is wide open. Get the defense all flowing up the middle and to the strongside then have Mitch clean on a boot out to the weakside. Takes some pressure off the dive or inside zone play to Cobb. Gives you the opportunity to get Strevlars speed on the field. I would even mix in some Max Williams wildcat sets because he has the ability to break tackles, has deceptive speed. One play I am dieing to see them run against Wisconsin is a triple option look where they have both Mitch and Cobb flowing to the strongside with Max Williams in a trail position from Cobb. Have Mitch pitch to Cobb and then when they all swarm Cobb have Cobb pitch the ball to Williams at the right moment. It is the type of play you would not expect to see from the Gophers. That type of play may really catch Wisconsin with the shorts around the ankles.
Have to think that an option pitch from your running back to the tight end at just the right moment would be an explosive play call because nobody would expect Maxx with his speed to run through the defense the way he can.
I'm not saying do this stuff right now, but this is some pie in the sky, goofing off, draw some crap up in the sand, and the ball off to Goldy in the spring game, fun play calls for the bowl game or bowl game practices. Fun to specualte on looks you have not seen them run before. Would be fun to see them sneak in a fake punt at some point too, timing has to be right for those sorts of situations.

You should call over to the football office and talk to Limegrover, get these plays to him ASAP, could be the difference on Saturday.

What about a play where Strevler, Leidner, Rhoda and Perra are all in the backfield, take the shotgun snap, get into a huddle, one QB has the ball tucked under his jersey, and they all run opposite directions? While Maxx streaks down field wide open for an eventual 80 yard TD. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

You should call over to the football office and talk to Limegrover, get these plays to him ASAP, could be the difference on Saturday

Posts like this are why people on Gopherhole get into stupid fights, which I by no means will engage in after posting this. Always has bugged the hell out of me.

Are the ideas perfect? Probably not. Did OP put some thought into the ideas and are they worth reading? I would say so.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Have you been watching Little Giants or Varsity Blues recently by chance?

how bout we just run 7 linemen out there along with Thomas and Cobb in the backfield and Maxx split wide and go from there?

Come on guys have some fun

Have you been watching Little Giants or Varsity Blues recently by chance?
Good stuff, and I like the fact that I got the common man zero points award.

I did call it pie in the sky, sand lot type of stuff didn't I. To much time on my hands and work is really boring today.
These are obviously not real calls of any substance. Maxx could run the football and surprsise some people with his deceptive speed, that said he is to valuable to be running wild cat on a regular basis and has become a dang good blocker as the season has worn on.
The main point was that I would like to see Strevlars speed taken advantage of on the field even with the goofiness of everything else. He is too valuable to be standing on the sidelines and can make people miss. They mixed him in before, maybe they will do it again.

No Limegrover does not at any point need my input.
Wouldn't it be nice to catch Wisconsin with there shorts around there ankles on some explosive plays and just blow them off the field with a few things they have not seen, obviously not the crapola plays I describe. I am anticpating that Limegrover is going to give them some stuff, some wrinkles that with the element of surprise is going to leave a few jocks on the field and expect Cobb to have a big day against the Badgers and the Gophers will finally have the Axe back. That or we will just as likely run the ball, and keep running it until they run and go get the Axe.

I think the mad genius that is Limegrover(University of Chicago degree, better than my Ag degree from the U) will have something up his sleeve against Wisconsin like he did against Nebraska last year. I figure he will have a few wrinkles for them this Saturday just like last year.
Cobb pitching the ball to Maxx would be something that would catch a team off guard but you do run the risk from the extra pitch of turning the ball over. Game planning for Nebraska they had that done two weeks ago already, our coaches are of real substance and can diagnose a weakness much better than I can.

Seven lineman and Tommy Olson tackle eligible and split out wide, I bet he would catch the football. Tommy is a better athlete than his dad and brother, he would catch the ball the other two would probably drop it.
In all seriousness let's hope they beat Nebarska, pummel Wisconsin and then see all of you guys in Indianapolis in two weeks time.
Go Gophers

Posts like this are why people on Gopherhole get into stupid fights, which I by no means will engage in after posting this. Always has bugged the hell out of me.

Are the ideas perfect? Probably not. Did OP put some thought into the ideas and are they worth reading? I would say so.

"Minnesota Nice" goes out the window when any Minnesotan is behind the wheel or posting anonymously on a message board. Completely agree that posters should cut one another a lot more slack.

I have no problem with being called out for being a rube, or rubbs by the way, not real deep thinking on my part. Anyone else think Strevlars speed is something that could be utilized more the rest of the season? He seems to have great straightline speed but not the shiftiness you would want in a running back or quarterback. At times even Mitch seems more elusive and Mitch is not as quick as Chris.

I have no problem with being called out for being a rube, or rubbs by the way, not real deep thinking on my part. Anyone else think Strevlars speed is something that could be utilized more the rest of the season? He seems to have great straightline speed but not the shiftiness you would want in a running back or quarterback. At times even Mitch seems more elusive and Mitch is not as quick as Chris.

Nothing wrong with calling people out or disagreeing obviously, but sometimes it seems people could do so with a little more respect.

And to your point on Streveler I agree, but the sample size is so low that it's hard to make a fair judgment. And I doubt his arm is strong enough to get regular snaps because the opponent would just flood the box. Personally, I don't see Jerry implementing any plays with Strev in the near future.

Maybe I missed it, but I thought it was kinda fun to unveil a couple of trick plays last week. There's always so much talk about our boring, conservative offense. The reverse pass and pass play on the kick return were pretty well designed and could have been huge. I think the kids like 'em, too. I bet we see a wrinkle or two in the next two games.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Hahaha billy madison

I liked the special teams fake last week

Maybe I missed it, but I thought it was kinda fun to unveil a couple of trick plays last week. There's always so much talk about our boring, conservative offense. The reverse pass and pass play on the kick return were pretty well designed and could have been huge. I think the kids like 'em, too. I bet we see a wrinkle or two in the next two games.

I too, liked the reverse pass from Maye to Myrick they were a step away and a shoestring tackle from taking that one to the house. The reverse pass I like that type of call but not the down and distance, the Gophers were running the ball well at that time and then having Maye run the sweep motion, they Ohio State overplayed the jet motion and blitzed in to the pass, and they did not bite on any fakes all of the safties and linebackers stayed back, as there was nobody open down field, on that situation I was hoping Maye would be coached to throw the ball away as he as HS quarterback. Thought the Gophers had opened up the playbook a little against OSU.

The only wrinkle I might have added if your going off the jet motion if Maye is not open and nobody that leaked down field would have Leidner act like he was about to block along the line then flow down to the weakside like he is setting up to catch a throwback screen, get a seal block from your left tackle and then have Maye throw it back to Leidner on the other side on the throwback screen in case everything else is blocked up but nobody is open. The option there could have been to throw it back to Mitch on the backside screen, difficult play all around because Ohio State didn't buy any of the fakes or were not fooled by the motion, if anything the jet motion made them key hard on Maye. You want to give yourself a bail out option to throw the ball away or if the QB is available on the throwback and uncovered why not toss it back to him? Kind of cover your rear end if the fakes do not work. I overall did like the play call just a little surprised by down and distance but Ohio State was not.

I like that our coaches are gamblers at times and not afraid to take calculated risks. I see the point about Strevlar he has speed but he has to have the passing option available for anyone to be able to buy the pass is in play or the same for the read so far all he has done is keep the ball on all of the read option stuff. These coaches always seem to have some good stuff cooked up on special teams, been hoping for a blocked punt or two these last two games, our guys have done a good job of getting to some balls and coming close this season. Not an easy thing to do to create space and get after the punter as well as they do at times. Mortell was the man as far as the punting game goes, makes me wonder if he is athletic enough to steal a first down on a fake punt.

The reverse pass I like that type of call but not the down and distance, the Gophers were running the ball well at that time and then having Maye run the sweep motion, they Ohio State overplayed the jet motion and blitzed in to the pass, and they did not bite on any fakes all of the safties and linebackers stayed back, as there was nobody open down field, on that situation I was hoping Maye would be coached to throw the ball away as he as HS quarterback. Thought the Gophers had opened up the playbook a little against OSU.

The play was actually executed quite well and tOSU was caught off guard. Maxx stumbled/was pushed as he ran by (I was at the game and couldn't tell for sure) and lost his balance else he would have been wide open. The LBs were not waiting over the middle to defend it.

The play was actually executed quite well and tOSU was caught off guard. Maxx stumbled/was pushed as he ran by (I was at the game and couldn't tell for sure) and lost his balance else he would have been wide open. The LBs were not waiting over the middle to defend it.
Like you said this was a well designed play, weather impacted this one.
I remember now the footing was a little slick because of the snow, I'm on the oposite side and could not see well because of angle with all of the people standing in the section next to us. Maxx kind of clipped up heels off the line with one of the ends or backers that is why he did not come open right away like the play was designed, I remember the stumble motion now. There end crashed down pretty hard on Maye, was hoping he would have tossed it away once Maxx didn't get open, it would have been a big play without the footing being bad or someone slipping and clipping his heel.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few plays with both Cobb and Edwards in the backfield. Put Leidner in the shotgun with one on each side. I'm sure they could do some creative things out of that set.

Why not run some read option sets with both Strevlar and Leidner in backfield or with both Cobb and Kirkwood.
You can fake the dive to Kirkwood and run Cobb on the stretch play or vice versa. Same with Strevlar and Leidner both back there you can run some wheel route stuff where one quarterback throws to the other after getting lost in the muck or fake some boot out stuff.
With Strevlar back there you have the potential for play action, the fake to Cobb, motion from Strevlar and than Leidner is open on the back side for a boot out run that is wide open. Get the defense all flowing up the middle and to the strongside then have Mitch clean on a boot out to the weakside. Takes some pressure off the dive or inside zone play to Cobb. Gives you the opportunity to get Strevlars speed on the field. I would even mix in some Max Williams wildcat sets because he has the ability to break tackles, has deceptive speed. One play I am dieing to see them run against Wisconsin is a triple option look where they have both Mitch and Cobb flowing to the strongside with Max Williams in a trail position from Cobb. Have Mitch pitch to Cobb and then when they all swarm Cobb have Cobb pitch the ball to Williams at the right moment. It is the type of play you would not expect to see from the Gophers. That type of play may really catch Wisconsin with the shorts around the ankles.
Have to think that an option pitch from your running back to the tight end at just the right moment would be an explosive play call because nobody would expect Maxx with his speed to run through the defense the way he can.
I'm not saying do this stuff right now, but this is some pie in the sky, goofing off, draw some crap up in the sand, and the ball off to Goldy in the spring game, fun play calls for the bowl game or bowl game practices. Fun to specualte on looks you have not seen them run before. Would be fun to see them sneak in a fake punt at some point too, timing has to be right for those sorts of situations.

Sounds like fun.

Why not run some read option sets with both Strevlar and Leidner in backfield...

Streveler

Streveler1.jpg

Kevlar

Kevlar_panel_vest_black__99652_zoom.jpg

Why not run the offense I run on my XBOX? I don't want to give anything away in case Limey takes me up on the offer (PM me dude!) but let's just say the computer hasn't beaten me on "all-american" level in 6 weeks.

I am not sure where you were watching from, but from my seat Maxx appeared to be doubled covered. That play was going nowhere regardless.

Top Bottom