Former PSU QB Michael Robinson on BTN: Cobb will be better back in NFL than Gordon

He is a very good player, but given the investment that NFL teams put into the QB position, I just do not see him ever being a featured back, as his blocking is truly that bad. I might be way off base, but I just cannot imagine an NFL team out there who would jeopardize their quarterback by making Abdullah a starting RB, especially since NFL teams view the vast majority of running backs to be relatively interchangeable and pretty much completely fungible at this point. Abdullah as a change of pace, rotational guy? Sure. Starter or featured (meaning 20 or more carries) back? In my opinion a team would be absolutely insane to do so, because sometimes those backs are required to block, and Abdullah's utter inability to do so is that much a liability. Your mileage however might vary. It will be interesting to see what becomes of him.

Ah, I have no idea on blocking, you could be right. I mean purely in terms of running the ball.

That breaks my heart.

Brandon Owens life altering injuries underscores the dangers of helmet-to-helmet collisions. I completely forgot about him at that fateful day.

It is even more scarier now that teams have been building up players in the weight room and training to be bigger, stronger, faster than maybe thirty years ago. Imagine the tragedies if the NCAA did not step up and issue stiff penalties even ejections.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?30432-Brandon-Owens

What did all of those Wisconsin RBs have in common? They were all slow. Too slow for the NFL. Unfortunately Cobb is in a similar mold. That doesn't mean Cobb still can't have a productive career, but NFL teams want speed. Gordon has more speed than any of them, and I'd put my money on Gordon being more successful in the NFL.

I won't argue with the others, but Michael Bennett ran a 4.28 40 (hand-timed or whatever, still effin' fast) and a 10.00 100 meters. Guy was a big-time burner.

Gordon reminds me of Ahmad Rashad. What people forgot about Ahmad is that he was a running back in college (Bobby Moore before he changed his name). Drafted as a running back (4th overall), he trimmed down and moved out to WR, where he shone.

I'm not saying Gordon will lose weight or move to WR, but he has that kind of natural football ability that doesn't come along very often. Maybe he won't cut it in the pros, but he's a tremendous college football player and unless the scouts see a plethora of red flags, he'll probably be the first RB taken if he goes pro. I think he's the best Wisconsin back since the beginning of the Alvarez era.

Cobb is solid and he's going to get a shot. My guess is he's drafted anywhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Good North/South runner. He'll go to the combine and I imagine the results of his drills will go a long way toward determining where he'll ultimately be drafted.

I won't argue with the others, but Michael Bennett ran a 4.28 40 (hand-timed or whatever, still effin' fast) and a 10.00 100 meters. Guy was a big-time burner.

Gordon reminds me of Ahmad Rashad. What people forgot about Ahmad is that he was a running back in college (Bobby Moore before he changed his name). Drafted as a running back (4th overall), he trimmed down and moved out to WR, where he shone.

I'm not saying Gordon will lose weight or move to WR, but he has that kind of natural football ability that doesn't come along very often. Maybe he won't cut it in the pros, but he's a tremendous college football player and unless the scouts see a plethora of red flags, he'll probably be the first RB taken if he goes pro. I think he's the best Wisconsin back since the beginning of the Alvarez era.

Cobb is solid and he's going to get a shot. My guess is he's drafted anywhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Good North/South runner. He'll go to the combine and I imagine the results of his drills will go a long way toward determining where he'll ultimately be drafted.

Mike Bennet is out the city of Milwaukee..he was a 4.1 guy. hes the 2md fastest kid ive evere seen out the city. Melvin Gordon who is also from the Milwaukee Metro area doesnt have anywhere near that speed. 10.8-11.0 100 meter guy Jackson Auburn Tigers 4.12
2 Michael Bennett Minnesota Vikings 4.13
3 Alexander Wright Dallas Cowboys 4.14
4 Darrell Green Washington Redskins 4.15
5 Ahman Green Nebraska Cornhuskers 4.17
6 Joey Galloway Ohio St. Buckeyes 4.18
7 Terrell Sinkfield Northern Iowa 4.19
8 Henry Neal Blinn JC 4.2
9 Onterio McCalebb Auburn Tigers 4.21
10 Deion Sanders Florida St. Seminoles 4.21
11 Kevin Curtis Utah St. Aggies 4.21
12 Don Beebe Buffalo Bills 4.21
13 Donte Stallworth Tennessee Volunteers 4.22
14 Willie Parker North Carolina Tar Heels 4.23
15 Clayton Holmes Dallas Cowboys 4.23
16 Rondel Melendez Eastern Kentucky (1999) 4.24

Mike Bennet is out the city of Milwaukee..he was a 4.1 guy. hes the 2md fastest kid ive evere seen out the city. Melvin Gordon who is also from the Milwaukee Metro area doesnt have anywhere near that speed. 10.8-11.0 100 meter guy Jackson Auburn Tigers 4.12
2 Michael Bennett Minnesota Vikings 4.13
3 Alexander Wright Dallas Cowboys 4.14
4 Darrell Green Washington Redskins 4.15
5 Ahman Green Nebraska Cornhuskers 4.17
6 Joey Galloway Ohio St. Buckeyes 4.18
7 Terrell Sinkfield Northern Iowa 4.19
8 Henry Neal Blinn JC 4.2
9 Onterio McCalebb Auburn Tigers 4.21
10 Deion Sanders Florida St. Seminoles 4.21
11 Kevin Curtis Utah St. Aggies 4.21
12 Don Beebe Buffalo Bills 4.21
13 Donte Stallworth Tennessee Volunteers 4.22
14 Willie Parker North Carolina Tar Heels 4.23
15 Clayton Holmes Dallas Cowboys 4.23
16 Rondel Melendez Eastern Kentucky (1999) 4.24

What is interesting is how at least half of those guys had limited to no NFL careers.

Top Bottom