Bowl Game Scenarios: Does the committee respect the Gophers Football Program?

Selfishly, my fingers are crossed for Florida. Would mean that I can drive it and stay with family for free.

For us as well. Florida Bowl game - our family goes. San Diego - doesn't work.

Make me 3, I will definitely make a short driving trip for a game here in the Sunshine State. Wouldn't be able to do San Diego.

It's only takes about 4 hours longer to drive from Minneapolis to San Diego rather than to Orlando.

Fair to say that Orlando, San Diego, and Tampa are the only three places we could end up at this point?

Selfishly, my fingers are crossed for Florida. Would mean that I can drive it and stay with family for free.

I'm hoping for Jax or Orlando as well. I'm just 2 hours from Jax and would love for my children's first college game experience to be the Gophers in a bowl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the committee doesn't have much choice with head to head wins over Iowa and Nebraska this year but to give the gophers the bowl they deserve. I don't see any way they can justify bumping us to a lower bowl this year.

You think Nebraska is going too travel well, or Iowa this year? The fans are pissed at both those coaches. Look how many fans Iowa brought too TCF.

As a former player I remember finishing the 1999 season 8-3 after beating #2 in the country Penn State at Penn State. I assumed as a young 19 year old that beating a top team like that and losing to some tough teams we would have a chance to be invited to a great bowl game like the Outback Steakhouse Bowl, The Cotton Bowl, etc. granted I knew we weren't close to being invited to some of the BCS bowls you now know today(pre-BCS era). So when we got the call that we were invited to the Sun Bowl we were excited because the previous year we didn't make it to a Bowl Game, but we were less than happy that Penn State still got invited to a better bowl than us after we beat them. We wondered was it our fan support and how they travel? Was it our team and that we really only had Tyrone Carter as a big name? We were clueless. To this day I still wonder the true answer Minnesota doesn't get the respect of some of these teams we constantly beat yet they get invited to better bowl games than us. What are your thoughts and has the committee began to see us in a better light?

Many thanks for that great season, which ended a 32-year drought - you can't imagine (or maybe you can) what that meant to long-suffering fans. For 28 consecutive years we had no All-Americans. That season was a surprise and began a sea change in Gopher football expectations!

You think Nebraska is going too travel well, or Iowa this year? The fans are pissed at both those coaches. Look how many fans Iowa brought too TCF.

You're right, and it just doesn't matter. Gopher fans have the perception of not traveling well, largely based on all of those dark blue empty seats that one used to see at the Dome. Having empty seats in the student section or the upper corners of TCF Bank Stadium doesn't help, but it's really the inability to fill up the Dome during some very, very bad years that gave the fanbase this perception.

I've been to my share of PSU games. Gophers travel very well to Beaver Stadium, outdone by few in the Big Ten, even though they are (were) the farthest away.

I guess not! LMAO!! However, it's surprising how many people think FL is so much closer than CA.

I don't think 'closer' is what a majority (myself included) are thinking.
I am thinking 'doable' with having extended family (retired) there. We can fly to either destination but in Florida would have lodging, meals, and transportation to and from game provided.

It's only takes about 4 hours longer to drive from Minneapolis to San Diego rather than to Orlando.

True. But when I factor in the free lodging I'd get in Florida, SD is a no go. I'd make it a longer trip and do 2 days of travel by car each way and 5 days in Florida to make it worth it. The minimal toll roads make it a super cheap drive in the Civic. About $150 each way.

I don't think 'closer' is what a majority (myself included) are thinking.
I am thinking 'doable' with having extended family (retired) there. We can fly to either destination but in Florida would have lodging, meals, and transportation to and from game provided.

Although, I wasn't clear, I was not referring to posters on Gopherhole. I've been living on the west coast for 30 years and from conversations with friends and family living in Minnesota, I've concluded, rightly or wrongly, that many native Minnesotans think it's a shorter car ride to FL than any place on the west coast.

Although, I wasn't clear, I was not referring to posters on Gopherhole. I've been living on the west coast for 30 years and from conversations with friends and family living in Minnesota, I've concluded, rightly or wrongly, that many native Minnesotans think it's a shorter car ride to FL than any place on the west coast.

Thank you for clarification and I agree with that assessment in context you put it in.

I think the Gophers are a compelling/sexy story this year and that counts with the Bowl committees. They are finishing strong, not limping into post-season. For what it's worth, I have been projecting bowl games for 10+ years (not saying I'm good at it, just saying I do it) in order to get tentative travel plans in place. I've got the Gophers in the Cap One Bowl whether they win or lose next week, assuming they lose to OSU if they get to the Championship Game. My rationale is that the Badgers were in Orlando last year at the Cap One and the B1G has stated they want to avoid having the same team go to the same bowl/city back-to-back. Of course, if the Gophers win out, they are guaranteed the Peach, Cotton, or Fiesta Bowls, since the Rose in unavailable.

I've got the Badgers in the Outback, regardless of next week's outcome, but I hope I'm wrong. I'm sick of Florida and may stay home for bowling for the first time in 15 years (yeah, I may change my mind, when push comes to shove). The Orange, Holiday, and Music City are the ones I'd most like to go to. Or NOLA, but I think that is impossible.

TAW, always a fan of your posts and sincerity. Fans like you make this rivalry fun.

Go Gophers!!

TAW, always a fan of your posts and sincerity. Fans like you make this rivalry fun.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. I always enjoy reading his posts. And UWOle on the basketball side.

I think the Gophers are a compelling/sexy story this year and that counts with the Bowl committees. They are finishing strong, not limping into post-season. For what it's worth, I have been projecting bowl games for 10+ years (not saying I'm good at it, just saying I do it) in order to get tentative travel plans in place. I've got the Gophers in the Cap One Bowl whether they win or lose next week, assuming they lose to OSU if they get to the Championship Game. My rationale is that the Badgers were in Orlando last year at the Cap One and the B1G has stated they want to avoid having the same team go to the same bowl/city back-to-back. Of course, if the Gophers win out, they are guaranteed the Peach, Cotton, or Fiesta Bowls, since the Rose in unavailable.

I've got the Badgers in the Outback, regardless of next week's outcome, but I hope I'm wrong. I'm sick of Florida and may stay home for bowling for the first time in 15 years (yeah, I may change my mind, when push comes to shove). The Orange, Holiday, and Music City are the ones I'd most like to go to. Or NOLA, but I think that is impossible.

I wish we had that problem.

I really hope you guys get San Diego like you're hoping. Sounds like the B1G has an opportunity to make everyone happy.

Not certain that would be the case. With the rose bowl being part of the playoff games, the bigten doesn't have a tie in to the other four New Year's Eve day bowl games. Those four bowls have to select from the rankings. Winning out may not get us to a top 12 ranking.

Not certain that would be the case. With the rose bowl being part of the playoff games, the bigten doesn't have a tie in to the other four New Year's Eve day bowl games. Those four bowls have to select from the rankings. Winning out may not get us to a top 12 ranking.

Is that really true? All I can find on the committee website:

How will the teams that are not in the playoff be selected for the other bowls that make up this new arrangement?
All conferences negotiated individual bowl contracts for their champions. Five conferences have arranged contracts for their champions to play in New Year’s bowl games — Atlantic Coast (Orange), Big Ten (Rose), Big 12 (Sugar), Pac-12 (Rose), and Southeastern (Sugar).

The highest ranked champion of the other five Football Bowl Subdivision conferences (the American Athletic, Conference- USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt), as determined by the selection committee, will play in one of the six New Year’s bowls. Other available berths will be awarded to the teams ranked highest by the committee. The committee will assign teams to bowls.

When the Fiesta, Cotton and Atlanta bowls are not hosting semifinal games, their participants will come from three sources: (1) The highest ranked champion among the five conferences listed in the paragraph above, (2) conference champions that are displaced when their contracted bowls host semifinals and (3) the remaining teams ranked highest in the committee’s rankings.

The committee will assign teams to the non-playoff bowls to create the most compelling matchups, while considering other factors such as geographic proximity, avoiding rematches of regular-season games and avoiding rematches of recent years’ bowl games.

my mistake. afurry correct
from the selection committee's website:
Both participants in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls are contracted outside the playoff arrange*ment (Big Ten and Pac-12 to Rose Bowl; SEC and Big 12 to Sugar Bowl; ACC to Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame). If a conference champion qualifies for the playoff, then the bowl will choose a replacement from that conference. When those bowls host the semifinals and their contracted conference champions do not qualify, then the dis*placed champion(s) will play in the other New Year’s bowls.

Absolute best case scenario is we win our next two and get a matchup with Boise State/Marshall in our "New Year's Six" bowl game.

I don't know if there is any chance of us getting matched with the mid major.

Personally, I would be just giddy with the Citrus Bowl.

Absolute best case scenario is we win our next two and get a matchup with Boise State/Marshall in our "New Year's Six" bowl game.

I don't know if there is any chance of us getting matched with the mid major.

Personally, I would be just giddy with the Citrus Bowl.

I'll be over the moon with the Citrus or the Outback. How often have we yearned for a "New Year's Day" bowl in the past? How many times has that been cited as a measure of success for the program? If we get to either game, I consider it a big win for our program and I for one will be supremely excited. Now watch us get the Holiday or something.

Top Bottom