FSN: Over/Under on David Cobb yards vs Nebraska: 200

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN's "Mailbag:"

Q: Cobb and the offensive line have to be licking their chops after watching what Melvin Gordon did to Nebraska's defense. Over/under 200 yards for Cobb? -- Morgan, Eden Prairie, Minn.

A: I'll say under, although I think he'll have a good game -- and perhaps a historic one. The reason I say under 200 yards (even though Gordon torched Nebraska for an FBS-record 408 yards on Saturday) is because Nebraska's run defense has been stout outside of that one game. Even after the 408 yards amassed by Gordon and 581 total rushing yards by the Badgers, the Huskers are still sixth in the Big Ten in run defense. Nebraska has allowed more than 190 rushing yards just once this year and was ranked 19th nationally before Gordon's performance. Cobb has had a pair of 200-yard games this season, but both were in non-conference play.

What I will predict is that Cobb will set a new Gophers record for the most rushing yards in a season. The current mark is held by Laurence Maroney, who ran for 1,464 yards in 2005. Cobb is at 1,350 yards, meaning he needs 115 yards to break Maroney's record. He's topped that 115-yard total in six of his 10 games this year. He should get that Saturday.

I'd have to imagine Nebraska's defense will come out pretty fired up after being on the wrong end of history against Wisconsin. Cobb will still run the ball early and often on Saturday, but I think he'll fall a bit shy of 200 yards.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/tyler-mason-s-nov-19-gophers-mailbag-111914

Go Gophers!!

I highly doubt Cobb approaches 200 yards, but if he doesn't exit the game having passed Maroney, it probably means the Gophers have had a rough day.

I don't think he'll get to 200, but I do think he can go comfortably over 100 and that should be enough to win the game.

I think if we play as well as we did against Ohio State without 2 or 3 of the mistakes, we win the game comfortably.

No way Nebraska is going to let us run like that, they will staple it together. I put the o/u on Cobb at 135 yards. As was shown against Iowa, we don't need Cobb to get 200 yards to have a good game. If we are going to beat Nebraska we will need to be able to pass the ball at least a little bit. Cobb with 135 yards and a couple TD's should be good enough for us to win if we can also get 175-200 yards passing.

Agree with the rest, don't think he gets close to 200 but over 100 seems very doable as long as we don't dig a major hole early in the game.

I'll take the under b/c he'll be resting for the West Division Championship by the beginning of the 4th quarter. Pls don't wake me up!

I highly doubt Cobb approaches 200 yards, but if he doesn't exit the game having passed Maroney, it probably means the Gophers have had a rough day.

Cobb rushed for 74 yards against Iowa and we scored 51.

Cobb rushed for 74 yards against Iowa and we scored 51.

But we rushed for 291 as a team. Add in the touches granted Edwards (35 yards), Nugget (23) and Streveler (18) in garbage time, and you're at 150 yards. Going out on a limb that this weekend will be a lot closer than our game vs. Iowa and Nebraska's game vs. Wisconsin.

Agree with the rest, don't think he gets close to 200 but over 100 seems very doable as long as we don't dig a major hole early in the game.

Add me to this group. 100-200

My guess (hope?) is that Nebraska over-commits to stopping the inside run and that they are burned at the edges and by play-action passing (just like Iowa did) and that Cobb doesn't have (or need) a huge game.

Definitely under, Cobb ends up around 130-140 on 25-30 carries.

Our O-line gets stuffed all day, Cobb hits 80 and the Gophers lose by 18

Our O-line gets stuffed all day, Cobb hits 80 and the Gophers lose by 18

That's the spirit, you must be Scandinavian. I say the first play is play action 35 yard to Maxx Williams and the second play has Fruechte on a 45 yard post play to match their 7 point opening drive. The next drive has Cobb getting 40 yards on 4 carries and a KJ May bubble screen for 42 yards and a TD. Cobb ends the day 126 yards and three touch downs and we win with a field goal as time expires. Our defense plays lights out.

Well if we continue to start drives with running Cobb up the middle, and say we start our first 3 drives around the 20 yard line, that's 3 80 yard rushes there... so... I'm going over. :) Optimism at it's finest.

That's the spirit, you must be Scandinavian. I say the first play is play action 35 yard to Maxx Williams and the second play has Fruechte on a 45 yard post play to match their 7 point opening drive. The next drive has Cobb getting 40 yards on 4 carries and a KJ May bubble screen for 42 yards and a TD. Cobb ends the day 126 yards and three touch downs and we win with a field goal as time expires. Our defense plays lights out.

This makes zero sense. how does our defense play "lights out" but we need a field goal with time expiring to win after already scoring 5 touchdowns?

Cobb will be our work horse and get 145 but he will only have 1 TD. May will get one on a sweep. Leidner will get 1 with his legs and 1 with his arm. We add one on a pick 6 by our defense and 1 field goal and we win by 17.

This makes zero sense. how does our defense play "lights out" but we need a field goal with time expiring to win after already scoring 5 touchdowns?

Cobb will be our work horse and get 145 but he will only have 1 TD. May will get one on a sweep. Leidner will get 1 with his legs and 1 with his arm. We add one on a pick 6 by our defense and 1 field goal and we win by 17.
Simple. Leidner throws a pick six and ST gives up two. It could happen.:p

Top Bottom