Media Predictions: Gophers at Huskers

No love from the BTN guys. Typical.

I wouldn't say we are getting no love from them, true they all picked Nebraska but they also all predicted a close game that is inside the 10.5 point spread currently out there. That would indicate to me that while they feel like Nebraska should win at home they don't see it as a slam dunk and expect us to give them a serious battle.

I actually expected one or two to pick us to win.

I'm thinking one of the ESPN guys will pick us. Probably our favorite whipping boy, Brian Bennett.

I actually expected one or two to pick us to win.
Agree. To get shutout completely really doesn't make much sense considering we do much of the same things Wisconsin does well. I don't think the result would have been a lot different if they played in Lincoln last week.

I would rather have the underdog mentality right now, but I would expect there to be at least a couple media "experts" pick us to get the upset.

I wouldn't say we are getting no love from them, true they all picked Nebraska but they also all predicted a close game that is inside the 10.5 point spread currently out there. That would indicate to me that while they feel like Nebraska should win at home they don't see it as a slam dunk and expect us to give them a serious battle.

I'd like to see the record of the BTN guys picking our games. Seems like they've all been picking us to lose most games.

CBS: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks

Against the spread:
vRFZ2sS.png

Straight up:
OrUflUo.png

This NE team is mentally weak. As is their coach.

Just hit em in the mouth in the first half and they'll collapse.

So Dennis Dodd picked us to win straight up, yet Nebraska (-10.5) to beat the spread? I think he or they got those icons mixed up.

Sorry, that was me copying and pasting. Noticed my mistake but not fast enough for you to miss it :)

College Football News:

What’s Going To Happen: Will this be a new and jacked up Nebraska team, or will the same problems it had against Wisconsin carry over to this week? Minnesota will have problems early on, but slowly, the ground game will start working more and more to make this a game. It’ll be Abdullah who comes through, running with a new sense of purpose as he carries the offense to a rebound win. It’ll be a fight, though.
Prediction: Nebraska 31 … Minnesota 24
Line: Nebraska -10 o/u: 56.5
Must Watch Factor: 5: HBO’s State of Play – 1: Euros of Hollywood … 4

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1482870.html

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/111155/big-ten-week-13-predictions

tvvBJD5.png

Why Minnesota will win: There’s no letup coming for the Blackshirts, who were historically carved up by Melvin Gordon last week and must turn right around and face the Gophers' David Cobb and another productive rushing attack, with flickering hopes of winning the West Division hanging in the balance for both teams. Ameer Abdullah doesn’t look quite back to full speed on his injured knee, and the Gophers are perhaps underrated for their defensive ability when they’re dialed in and aggressive, which could make it tough for the Huskers if the star rusher is limited again. Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner has been inconsistent this season, but this seems like a good opportunity for him to bounce back in the play-action passing game with the Huskers trying to avoid another soft performance on the ground. ... Minnesota 27, Nebraska 24 -- Austin Ward

Why Nebraska will win: Melvin Gordon had his way with the Huskers last week, but Minnesota’s David Cobb -- who’s accounted for more than 40 percent of the offense -- is a different kind of runner. Most of Gordon’s yards came with speed outside the tackles; most of Cobb’s will come from power between the tackles. Nebraska shouldn’t allow half as many big offensive plays this weekend, and the Huskers’ offense clearly has the edge here. Bo Pelini’s squad averages 8.8 more points per game, the offense gains an average of 100 more yards a game, and Ameer Abdullah is one week healthier. Minnesota won’t be able to keep up. ... Nebraska 34, Minnesota 24 -- Josh Moyer

Nearly everyone is taking the Gophs to cover the spread, and most are taking Nebraska straight up. So pretty much everyone is expecting a close game, and probably giving it to Nebraska because its at home in the straight up match.

per BTN:

UPSET ALERT: Minnesota had lost 16 in a row to Nebraska before beating the Cornhuskers last year, 34-23, in the Twin Cities. The Gophers’ last win in Lincoln was in 1960. No doubt, Jerry Kill’s crew doesn’t fear the Huskers. If Minnesota’s offense is able to establish a threat of a down-field passing game, the Gophers may be able to dump Nebraska for a second season in a row. Each team is coming off a loss, with Minnesota falling in a close game at home to Ohio State, 31-24, and the Cornhuskers getting emasculated, 59-24, at Wisconsin. How will Nebraska respond?

http://btn.com/2014/11/20/best-of-week-13-should-cornhuskers-be-on-upset-alert/

Go Gophers!!

...with flickering hopes of winning the West Division hanging in the balance for both teams.

Why does it feel like most media pundits have this view? We are in complete control of our B1G title hopes. We have to play and win. Isn't that how it's supposed to be? Why are OUR hopes "flickering"? Because we don't win the title if lose? We don't need any help, like Nebraska. Is it a daunting task to beat two storied/ranked opponents on the road? Sure. But, winning by losing and someone else screwing up would be hollow. I want to walk into those places and take what we want. That's the way it should be.

Why does it feel like most media pundits have this view? We are in complete control of our B1G title hopes. We have to play and win. Isn't that how it's supposed to be? Why are OUR hopes "flickering"? Because we don't win the title if lose? We don't need any help, like Nebraska. Is it a daunting task to beat two storied/ranked opponents on the road? Sure. But, winning by losing and someone else screwing up would be hollow. I want to walk into those places and take what we want. That's the way it should be.

Right or wrong I think most media sources viewed that game between Wisconsin and Nebraska as the showdown for the West. They look at our track record on the road and specifically at places like Nebraska and Wisconsin and they just don't see us a likely candidate to come out of this mess on top.

Plus when you stack us up side by side with Wisconsin over the past 5 weeks we don't come out looking very good. They are 5-0 and outscoring opponents 220-75. We are 3-2 with only one really impressive showing and that was against Iowa at home. It is easy to see why they would be the odds on pick to win the West right now by anyone outside of the state of Minnesota.

Right or wrong I think most media sources viewed that game between Wisconsin and Nebraska as the showdown for the West. They look at our track record on the road and specifically at places like Nebraska and Wisconsin and they just don't see us a likely candidate to come out of this mess on top.

Plus when you stack us up side by side with Wisconsin over the past 5 weeks we don't come out looking very good. They are 5-0 and outscoring opponents 220-75. We are 3-2 with only one really impressive showing and that was against Iowa at home. It is easy to see why they would be the odds on pick to win the West right now by anyone outside of the state of Minnesota.
I can't disagree with your numbers, but I'm just saying I don't think we're getting enough credit for what I'm seeing from this team over the course of the season. And, I am completely good with being underestimated. Nothing better than being expected to lose and winning.

I can't disagree with your numbers, but I'm just saying I don't think we're getting enough credit for what I'm seeing from this team over the course of the season. And, I am completely good with being underestimated. Nothing better than being expected to lose and winning.

Embrace the underdog role.

Top Bottom