Don't hate the student section this time, the rest of you let down TCF Bank today

The first top 25 matchup in Minneapolis in nine years and that was the crowd.

That's why Ill never blame a kid for going to Oregon, Wisconsin, Iowa or Arkansas.

Well, I can tell you one thing. There we 5,000 fans at least under the concourses. I went up at the start of the second quarter and walked from section 139 too section 144. You wouldn't thought is was halftime. I asked several people why they weren't in their seats? Too wet, too cold, closer to beer,
food, Kids got cold etc...

Well, I can tell you one thing. There we 5,000 fans at least under the concourses. I went up at the start of the second quarter and walked from section 139 too section 144. You wouldn't thought is was halftime. I asked several people why they weren't in their seats? Too wet, too cold, closer to beer,
food, Kids got cold etc...

And the concourse isn't a bad place to watch the game, especially if you get a little antsy.

The metrodome turned two generations of fans soft. The team consistently winning will help but Minnesota sports fans are conditioned to Watchung sports in 70° weather.

I disagree. As Kill has said numerous times, this is the state of Minnesota's team. What the fan base does has a real impact on the program's success, and our fan base had an adverse effect on the program today.

The reason Texas A&M has the best fan base in the country is that their mindset is that they are part of the team, the twelfth man. The reason we have one of the worst fan bases in the Big Ten is that our mindset is we're consumers. A&M (and other great fan bases, such as PSU or Michigan) value tradition and community, which go beyond the on-field product and make their games cultural events. We have a bunch of consumers who show up to see a product. There's a lack of solidarity with the team, and that is what great college football environments (really any sport) are all about.

The fan base failed to represent the football program, the U, and the state on national television today.

You make some excellent points. On the one hand, I get it that you can't force people to be fans. At the same time, it is frustrating we lack more hard core fans. I think a big problem in our part of the world is people don't value loyalty. These same people are often asking "what's in it for me." This mentality is unfortunate because they won't work hard for things and instead demand instant gratification. I really wish we had more of us who would support the team through good times and bad. If there were more loyal fans, I believe we'd have more success.

The metrodome turned two generations of fans soft. The team consistently winning will help but Minnesota sports fans are conditioned to Watchung sports in 70° weather.

Will be interesting to see how well the Vikings draw in December.

I was there, but I spent a lot of time in the concourse. It was fine until some random weirdo came up to me and asked me why I wasn't sitting in my seat.

Metrodome was only a part of it, I think the biggest influence is a 62" HD TV in the warmth and comfort of your home that provides better viewing than attending (note I said viewing not experience, still think it's more fun to go to the game)

If you don't have a solid Season Ticket base, then you're looking for people to spend their entertainment dollars on your product.

Accurate predictions on a kickoff temp in the teens and snow throughout the game both go heavily against a lot of those entertainment dollars being spent on the game. Now throw-in the feelings and predictions out there telling people NOT to buy tickets to see their team get creamed and you get the crowd you got.

Too bad. They missed a good game.

I think the weather is a reason why the average fan won't go. But the main issue to me is the lack of hardcore fans. Losing for so many years and most people not having the connection to the university that you get in a traditional college town are the main reasons in my opinion.

It's going take longer to get these casual fans who will watch the Gophers when they aren't busy to turn into hardcore, can't miss the game type of fans than in places like Madison and Iowa City.

There's a group of about 10 of us that get together each year to go to a game. It's become a tradition. These guys will go to their one game, and will watch the Gophers when they aren't doing anything. It's just not a part of the culture.

As I have said before on here, we still need that dream season like Northwestern had under Gary Barnett to wake up the casual fan base (even that has worn off at Northwestern though by now) and make Saturday at TCF the place to be. Too many people sitting back saying 'I told you they'd lose, why waste your time and money'.
Yesterday was my first game of the fall (sorry, work most Saturdays) and there were only 5k tO$U fans there, the Gopher faithful were loud when we needed them and, yes people who left early in the 4th missed out on a decent chance for us to tie the game.
I was at the Wisconsin game last year and yesterday was like being in Hawaii compared to that game. With that, let's beat the Huskers this Saturday and playing for the Axe will be really fun.

Don't hate the student section this time, the rest of you let down TCF Bank t...

Metrodome was only a part of it, I think the biggest influence is a 62" HD TV in the warmth and comfort of your home that provides better viewing than attending (note I said viewing not experience, still think it's more fun to go to the game)

Yup, the ability to watch multiple games and the fact that a 50" 1080P TV only costs $500 means pretty much anyone can afford a better picture than what you would get in person.

Throw in $1500 and the picture is flawless. It's actually incredible what the flagships televisions look like nowadays.

The Jaguars I thought were showing NFL red zone in the stadium this year. That's the kind of stuff that will draw more people to games.

I disagree. As Kill has said numerous times, this is the state of Minnesota's team. What the fan base does has a real impact on the program's success, and our fan base had an adverse effect on the program today.

The reason Texas A&M has the best fan base in the country is that their mindset is that they are part of the team, the twelfth man. The reason we have one of the worst fan bases in the Big Ten is that our mindset is we're consumers. A&M (and other great fan bases, such as PSU or Michigan) value tradition and community, which go beyond the on-field product and make their games cultural events. We have a bunch of consumers who show up to see a product. There's a lack of solidarity with the team, and that is what great college football environments (really any sport) are all about.

The fan base failed to represent the football program, the U, and the state on national television today.

You summed this up well!

Comparing attendance and fan interest between the U of M and Texas A&M is absurd. The Aggies command an astonishing level of support due to on field success that outstrips ours (certainly since the late 1960s), fewer sports and entertainment options in College Station and points nearby, status as a major player in college football (Texas A&M fans believe they can and will the national title soon while Gopher fans justifiably believe we may never win it again), and a devotion to the school by students and alums that frankly is almost cult like, especially among those who take or took part in the officer training school. Putting this in perspective, Texas A&M 2012 and 2013 managed to match the number of 9 win or 9 win plus seasons we have had since 1905. Minnesota can't get Texas A&M level fanaticism with our historic record of the past nearly fifty years and Texas A&M would certainly engender far less of a following were it to have had our record in that nearly fifty year span. This is not apples to apples or even apples to oranges. It's apples to pepperoni pizza.

OK i understand the frustration everyone has about the fans leaving early. Here is what personally happened in our situation, so don't always believe you know what is going on with everyone.

There was one of our 4 people going to the game that was not 100% healthy and was a trooper and came along as it was a big game for us. she hung in there even though she knew she would pay for it with days of drugs to get back on her feet. I looked down the row to her when it was in the 3rd quarter and she was freezing. I made the choice at that time that her health and being able to go to work Monday or Tuesday was more important than cheering the Seniors on their last game at TCF.

as it is we scored some Nebraska tickets on Sunday (their fans are selling fast their season tickets on senior day) we will travel to Lincoln to help support the team on the road in a game that will help mold the bowl picture.

so those of you who stayed congrats. those who left who didn't have a good reason shame on you but those who pretend to know everyone's situation can go Argo **** ******** because there are times you retreat to fight another day instead of dying on the field.

And the concourse isn't a bad place to watch the game, especially if you get a little antsy.

That is me! I may leave my seat but I am down in the concourse watching and pacing.

One time I had a guy in my section give me crap for leaving mid 4th quarter. I turned to him and said, "do you know me? Do you see me actually leaving the stadium? For your information I have to pee and I don't want to have to walk all the way back up to my seat when I am done (we are up in the last row). I will be pacing in the concourse below, but thank you for your concern" Needless to say I got quite the chuckle out of the area and the guy shut up.

as it is we scored some Nebraska tickets on Sunday (their fans are selling fast their season tickets on senior day) we will travel to Lincoln to help support the team on the road in a game that will help mold the bowl picture.

:clap:

If you don't have a solid Season Ticket base, then you're looking for people to spend their entertainment dollars on your product.

Accurate predictions on a kickoff temp in the teens and snow throughout the game both go heavily against a lot of those entertainment dollars being spent on the game. Now throw-in the feelings and predictions out there telling people NOT to buy tickets to see their team get creamed and you get the crowd you got.

Too bad. They missed a good game.
To piggy back off of Iceland's post, even in a loss, that was one of the most fun games of the year to me. All the fans in our section were having a lot of fun and no we weren't drunk. :cool02:

I don't think it helps to complain about those who aren't coming to the game. Just continue to go, be loud and be positive. In my opinion, Gopher Football has become the best sporting event in the Twin Cities. If the fans that go to the game are a little more loud and passionate, new fans will be more attracted to the games. The Twins became a hot ticket 5 years ago because they had a good product and a great fan experience with Target Field. The product has since declined, and now is a great time to attract some of those fans that want to be outdoors, supporting a great program at a great venue.

Ranked in the top 25.. Playing a top 10 team. Playing for something in November. On campus. Snow. What else do the students want? I don't get it and it's extremely frustrating to see the top half of the student section nearly empty every week. Here "The Bank" adds hundred's of seats in the west end zone and it's consistently full while the student section is over half full at best. The student support is under-achieving and it's too bad that even the camera guy on ABC can't zoom out to show a wide angle shot of the stadium because of the lack of student attendance.

The Gophers almost had their first undefeated season at home in almost 50 years yet the University of Minnesota, with an enrollment pushing 70,000 students, can't fill one of smallest student sections in the conference. It's truly disappointing and I hope our student section can rival other B1G environments someday. It's on the students as well and just my opinion, but our student section ranks towards the bottom in the B1G while the Gophers still have a chance to win the conference. I've had season tickets in 117 since '09 (one section over from students) and the student section was at it's peak during the Cal game in '09--The best atmosphere I've ever seen at any sporting event in MN. Since then, albeit a few exceptions (Wisconsin 2013, Michigan State 2009-Halloween), it's been mediocre even though the program is ascending. The students who were there on Saturday were outstanding.. Just not nearly enough of them. It's on the students who don't show up. Get 15% of your student population involved and you almost have a full student section. Pretty sad

I think the students have been outstanding this year (in loudness and sticking around - perhaps not in quantity). What was disappointing about the Ohio game was the lack of bodies in the stands for the senior recognition. Cobb, Wilson, Thompson, etc., were all introduced to a nearly empty stadium (looking towards the visitor's side, anyway). I would like to have had a better showing for them.

Ranked in the top 25.. Playing a top 10 team. Playing for something in November. On campus. Snow. What else do the students want? I don't get it and it's extremely frustrating to see the top half of the student section nearly empty every week. Here "The Bank" adds hundred's of seats in the west end zone and it's consistently full while the student section is over half full at best. The student support is under-achieving and it's too bad that even the camera guy on ABC can't zoom out to show a wide angle shot of the stadium because of the lack of student attendance.

The Gophers almost had their first undefeated season at home in almost 50 years yet the University of Minnesota, with an enrollment pushing 70,000 students, can't fill one of smallest student sections in the conference. It's truly disappointing and I hope our student section can rival other B1G environments someday. It's on the students as well and just my opinion, but our student section ranks towards the bottom in the B1G while the Gophers still have a chance to win the conference. I've had season tickets in 117 since '09 (one section over from students) and the student section was at it's peak during the Cal game in '09--The best atmosphere I've ever seen at any sporting event in MN. Since then, albeit a few exceptions (Wisconsin 2013, Michigan State 2009-Halloween), it's been mediocre even though the program is ascending. The students who were there on Saturday were outstanding.. Just not nearly enough of them. It's on the students who don't show up. Get 15% of your student population involved and you almost have a full student section. Pretty sad

I agree that it is frustrating not having a full student section. I have talked to other students and tried to convince them to go to the games, a couple have, but a lot don't. HOWEVER, the student section is more full than it appears. The Bank does not have assigned seating for students, so it is first come, first serve for the lower bowl. We are always packed in there like sardines. I always get to the game and hour and a half before kickoff, I like to see warmups, and I always save seats for my friends, we always end up fitting 6-7 people into 4-5 seats.

I agree that it is frustrating not having a full student section. I have talked to other students and tried to convince them to go to the games, a couple have, but a lot don't. HOWEVER, the student section is more full than it appears. The Bank does not have assigned seating for students, so it is first come, first serve for the lower bowl. We are always packed in there like sardines. I always get to the game and hour and a half before kickoff, I like to see warmups, and I always save seats for my friends, we always end up fitting 6-7 people into 4-5 seats.

This, I really don't think people understand how packed it is in the lower level of the student section because no student wants to go the upper level. If everyone was spaced like the lower level they'd easily be in the upper deck. Hell I've jumped the rail a few times after the wristbands were gone just because I didn't want to be up there and sit (stand) with my friends.

I'm in Section 105 and would guess maybe closer to 10%. This posting would be much more appropriate for the Iowa and Wisconsin home games every year. Minnesotans are notorious weather wimps when it comes to weather, though. Just check Stub Hub for Vikings games in December.

I'm in Section 105 and would guess maybe closer to 10%. This posting would be much more appropriate for the Iowa and Wisconsin home games every year. Minnesotans are notorious weather wimps when it comes to weather, though. Just check Stub Hub for Vikings games in December.

Maybe,but there's something else at play too. Many of the long time and "big-buck" seats Season Ticket holders, are snowbirds who head South or West sometime from Mid-November to early January. We've had some of them in our section for awhile, but it's more pronounced on the Home side. They sell or give away their seats and sometimes nobody takes them. The Vikings complained about it during the Dome years. Not real loudly of course, because those are some of there best customers. No reason to expect the Gopher Administration to be anymore vocal about it either.

You're right though, it's going get worse for the Vikings as the season goes on. Oh, and as somebody said around here earlier, if the Big Ten wants the season to bump up to December, then it means 2 bye weeks and some empty seats.

While we have been improving on a nice trajectory, but we have still not seen the level of success that would justify a question like "what else do the students want?" Two things I always wanted as an 8 year student (undergrad and two graduate degrees) were to see us finish with a winning B1G season and to see us beat our biggest rival at least once. The team went 0 for 8 in both categories while I was a student. In fact, neither has happened since 2003. That means that not only have this year's seniors never seen us beat our top rival or seen us finish above .500 against our conference peers, but that if they talked to a senior during their freshman year in 2011, that senior would not be able to tell them about what it was like to have a winning conference season or beat their rival. Furthermore, that 2011 senior would also have never been able to talk to a fellow student about either of those accomplishments , because the seniors during their freshman year (the 2007 football season) also never got to see either one happen.

While we have been improving on a nice trajectory, but we have still not seen the level of success that would justify a question like "what else do the students want?" Two things I always wanted as an 8 year student (undergrad and two graduate degrees) were to see us finish with a winning B1G season and to see us beat our biggest rival at least once. The team went 0 for 8 in both categories while I was a student. In fact, neither has happened since 2003. That means that not only have this year's seniors never seen us beat our top rival or seen us finish above .500 against our conference peers, but that if they talked to a senior during their freshman year in 2011, that senior would not be able to tell them about what it was like to have a winning conference season or beat their rival. Furthermore, that 2011 senior would also have never been able to talk to a fellow student about either of those accomplishments , because the seniors during their freshman year (the 2007 football season) also never got to see either one happen.

Can't argue against your points. I will say, however, if I am a sophomore at the U right now, my team is 8-6 in B1G since I've been a student. Additionally, they have won the Pig, Jug and the Governor's Bell (for what it's worth). As a Sophomore, my University has been in the Top 25 both years, snapped a 53 year drought against Nebraska and accomplished the first four game winning streak in the B1G since the 70's, etc. etc. Yet, the student section is 60% full against a top 10 team. Maybe I'm wrong but a majority of student season ticket holders are underclassmen? If so, it makes the student involvement even more puzzling. I get a few empty seats here and there.. That's fine, however, when all but 5 rows in the upper deck are empty for a top 25 showdown against the Buckeyes, it's gets a little concerning. Not to mention the student enrollment at the U ranks towards the top in the B1G. I guess I expected a much bigger student section last Saturday.

Don't hate the student section this time, the rest of you let down TCF Bank t...

Can't argue against your points. I will say, however, if I am a sophomore at the U right now, my team is 8-6 in B1G since I've been a student. Additionally, they have won the Pig, Jug and the Governor's Bell (for what it's worth). As a Sophomore, my University has been in the Top 25 both years, snapped a 53 year drought against Nebraska and accomplished the first four game winning streak in the B1G since the 70's, etc. etc. Yet, the student section is 60% full against a top 10 team. Maybe I'm wrong but a majority of student season ticket holders are underclassmen? If so, it makes the student involvement even more puzzling. I get a few empty seats here and there.. That's fine, however, when all but 5 rows in the upper deck are full for a top 25 showdown against the Buckeyes, it's gets a little concerning. Not to mention the student enrollment at the U ranks towards the top in the B1G. I guess I expected a much bigger student section last Saturday.

All but 5 rows? What game were you at? The stadium was pathetic all the way around. Not just in the student section. The home side had more bald spots than Dr. Don.

Top Bottom