All things - Non-Gopher Freshmen (those who shall not be named)

rrjackIII

Reaction score
Some may not want to keep track but I thought it might be a good place for those that want an occasional update.

All things the FOUR FRESHMEN

Tyus Jones may start for Duke.

“… it appears that Duke has found a new starting point guard, as freshman and heralded McDonald’s All-American Tyus Jones started once again at lead guard on Saturday over senior Quinn Cook.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...emerged-video/

Reid Travis may start for Stanford.

“…Another possible starting freshman is 6-8, 245-pound Reid Travis, whom ESPN.com rated as the No. 4 power forward in the country.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/...ft-5888985.php

Rashad Vaughn will probably start for UNLV.

“… The face of the team is 6-foot-6 guard Rashad Vaughn, the second-highest-rated high school commit in program history, whom assistant Todd Simon was key in bringing in.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...ball-time-now/

J. P. Macura will contribute to Xavier.

“... JP Macura showed, like Trevon, he has the ability to fill up the stat sheet offensively and not just from behind the arc, either. He showed the ability to shoot over his defender as well as drive to the hoop and find the open man. He should be a valuable offensive asset to a young Xavier squad this year.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2014...ame-recap-2014

Bonus Four Freshman Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggWvFgp3KE

I'm going to go watch Tyus vs Wisconsin in early December. I'm torn on who to boo louder!

Some may not want to keep track but I thought it might be a good place for those that want an occasional update.

All things the FOUR FRESHMEN

Tyus Jones may start for Duke.

“… it appears that Duke has found a new starting point guard, as freshman and heralded McDonald’s All-American Tyus Jones started once again at lead guard on Saturday over senior Quinn Cook.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...emerged-video/

Reid Travis may start for Stanford.

“…Another possible starting freshman is 6-8, 245-pound Reid Travis, whom ESPN.com rated as the No. 4 power forward in the country.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/...ft-5888985.php

Rashad Vaughn will probably start for UNLV.

“… The face of the team is 6-foot-6 guard Rashad Vaughn, the second-highest-rated high school commit in program history, whom assistant Todd Simon was key in bringing in.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...ball-time-now/

J. P. Macura will contribute to Xavier.

“... JP Macura showed, like Trevon, he has the ability to fill up the stat sheet offensively and not just from behind the arc, either. He showed the ability to shoot over his defender as well as drive to the hoop and find the open man. He should be a valuable offensive asset to a young Xavier squad this year.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2014...ame-recap-2014

Bonus Four Freshman Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggWvFgp3KE

Excellent idea, thanks.

Am most curious about Macura. It's pretty much a given The Big 3 all will be college stars. Macura is the wildcard. I really like his game and wish he had stayed here. Heard he's doing OK in Cincinnati but going through the usual early growing pains. Finding out what most freshmen find out, that it's a lot tougher to get shots off vs. DI-caliber players. He should be a solid 4-year player for X.

Great idea rjack.

Nice Four Freshmen link......and as the Four Preps sang:

"Next we have the Four Freshmen
Of course they've been Four Freshmen
For almost twenty years
It isn't that they're stupid
Well a little, maybe so
They can't afford to graduate
They're making too much dough
Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/four-preps/more-money-for-you-and-me-medley-lyrics/#vyTyX0CO2lShRgxP.99"

Tyus Jones is a freshman at Duke
Rashad Vaughn is a freshman at UNLV
Reid Travis is a freshman at Stanford
JP Macura is a freshman at Xavier

All are former Minnesota high school basketball players.

Having watched/played against Tyus and JP for years I'll be interested in following them, as well as Reid and Rashad to a lesser extent. Tyus is a great guy, I hope he succeeds, even though I'm not a big Duke fan. I wouldn't be surprised to see JP succeed, he has the competitive drive, but I also wouldn't be surprised with him struggling with not being "the man" anymore.

589710766aca36b9ab0406dcb804042b8019a70c398ca5845c79bda079ead085.jpg

Madtown wasn't seriously asking, this is simply his passive aggressive way of expressing displeasure that these four Minnesota kids are not dead to all of us since they chose other Universities.

Given it's the day after national signing day, when I clicked this thread, I thought it was going to be about Kevin Dorsey, Dupree McBrayer, Jonathan Nwankwo, and Jarvis Johnson, next year's four incoming freshmen.

Beat me too it Cayman. Anyways **** these jokers the only one going to the NBA is Vaughn

GW, question for you. I believe you are part of the staff at LNH. The staff there wrote a few weeks ago that Andre Hollins could redshirt this year due to medical reasons. How many games can he play and still redshirt?

GW, question for you. I believe you are part of the staff at LNH. The staff there wrote a few weeks ago that Andre Hollins could redshirt this year due to medical reasons. How many games can he play and still redshirt?

I think there are 30 games scheduled this year... so he could play in nine (any nine of the first 15)... and then if the rest of the year was unable to play due to injury, could request a medical hardship waiver that would allow him to play for Minn in '15-16

I think there are 30 games scheduled this year... so he could play in nine (any nine of the first 15)... and then if the rest of the year was unable to play due to injury, could request a medical hardship waiver that would allow him to play for Minn in '15-16

Still feel that way?.

Bovada had quite a few player props for the college season, and Tyus Jones was listed. His over/unders were 10.5 points per game and 8 assists per game. I hit the under on assists pretty hard. Not because of any anti-Tyus bias because that's silly, but because it's really damn hard to average more than 8 assists per game in college. I looked and over the last five years or so it's been done a handful of times, but Kendall Marshall was the only major conference guy to do it at 9.7 but he was a sophomore and played 33 minutes per game as the only PG. Tyus is a freshman and will have Cook taking some minutes. It seems crazy to me that he's lined at 8.

No lines on any of the other four or any Gophers, in case you wanted to ask.

Jones - As much as I like to hate on Duke, the little dukie is the best passing guard I have ever seen in person. Any time someone has questioned his skill at driving, shooting or anything else; he simply works on is game and become phenomenal. His knowledge of the game, how to use his body, manage the game is well beyond his years. Yes, he will play in the NBA and he will probably be great - could be a Steve Nash type player.

Macura - most impressive about him is his shooting touch, can't teach that, it is all natural talent. I always thought he had kinda of a floppy body (just lack of strength), but once he gets stronger and can control it better, he could be a good college player. NBA - no, but could become good enough to play in europe.

Reid - parents are terrific people, I'm very happy for the family and thier sons. The parents were brilliant to bring him up as a pt. guard that now has a body that matured into a power forward. Reid is a finisher - he just flat out knows how to put it in the hoop. It will be fun to watch him, he played on an AAU team w/ my son. He nearly has an NBA body now, in 2-3 years... NBA - yes.

Vaughn - always loved the athleticism but I haven't seen him play in almost two years since he played AAU for a Wisconsin team after his junior year and then for a Las Vegas H.S. his senior year. It will be fun to watch him, he also played on an AAU team w/ my son a few years back.

This will be the last time I post in this thread. I hope all four of these young men end up regretting their decision to not attend the U. And I hope we never have cause to regret that any of these young men chose not to do so, because of the feats by the Gopher newcomers.

This will be the last time I post in this thread. I hope all four of these young men end up regretting their decision to not attend the U. And I hope we never have cause to regret that any of these young men chose not to do so, because of the feats by the Gopher newcomers.

Duly noted.

Las Vegas Review Journal article on Vaughn. Apparently they got "blown out" in a secret scrimmage with UCLA

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/unlv-freshman-vaughn-no-hurry-leave-second-home

If he misses home, Rashad Vaughn can make a phone call to his family, just as he did early this week. The weather report from Minneapolis made him appreciate where he is now.

“It was cold and snowing,” he said. “I’m just laughing at them. It’s not too cold and not too hot here. Perfect weather.”

One year in Las Vegas influenced Vaughn in several ways, and he liked it enough to stay. The latest Findlay Prep star to make the short move to UNLV, Vaughn is about to become the most visible player in the basketball program. But for how long?

Macura scores 7 off the bench

In Xavier's 93-60 rout of Northern Arizona. 3 for 7 from the field with 2 treys.

"Scores 7 off the bench" In Xavier's 93-60 rout of Northern Arizona. 3 for 7 from the field with 2 treys.

2 x 3 = 6 + 2 = 8

Got JP down for 3/7 and 1/4 3FG. So, a solid 50% eFG%, but he turned the ball over and committed fouls 3 times in 18 minutes. 1 DR, no A or Stl. Overall, rough game for him outside of the shot-making.

This thread has the potential to depress me like no other. I think I'll stop reading it now.

What you quoted isn't a feeling, but rather fact.

I do not believe Dre is at 100%. Something appears off. Truly hope he has a special year.

You are so dense. Do you still feel there is a possibility he will medical redshirt like you wrote about in the summer?

Vaughn Passing up playing for a bubble gopher squad for that terrible UNLV is so disappointing.

Jones - As much as I like to hate on Duke, the little dukie is the best passing guard I have ever seen in person. Any time someone has questioned his skill at driving, shooting or anything else; he simply works on is game and become phenomenal. His knowledge of the game, how to use his body, manage the game is well beyond his years. Yes, he will play in the NBA and he will probably be great - could be a Steve Nash type player.

Macura - most impressive about him is his shooting touch, can't teach that, it is all natural talent. I always thought he had kinda of a floppy body (just lack of strength), but once he gets stronger and can control it better, he could be a good college player. NBA - no, but could become good enough to play in europe.

Reid - parents are terrific people, I'm very happy for the family and thier sons. The parents were brilliant to bring him up as a pt. guard that now has a body that matured into a power forward. Reid is a finisher - he just flat out knows how to put it in the hoop. It will be fun to watch him, he played on an AAU team w/ my son. He nearly has an NBA body now, in 2-3 years... NBA - yes.

Vaughn - always loved the athleticism but I haven't seen him play in almost two years since he played AAU for a Wisconsin team after his junior year and then for a Las Vegas H.S. his senior year. It will be fun to watch him, he also played on an AAU team w/ my son a few years back.

Watched Jones play last night on ESPN3, every pass he makes hits his teammate in the perfect spot to score. I'm talking EVERY pass. He will also start at PG, they were playing Cook at the 2 guard spot. I am going over 8 dimes/game. I had never seen him play as I live in Michigan. I agree completely with the Nash comparison; athletically doesn't seem like he belongs, will get exploited on D at times, but wow is he smooth on offense...beautiful thing to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom