Mason: Brewster talked a good game, didn't get it done; Jerry says little does a lot

100% wrong. Brewster increased the Gopher football teams academic standing significantly over what it was under Mason. I don't have time to look up the link but you can find it if you interested. Academics and citizenship under Mason were pathetic. Dominic Jones, Keith Massey, Alex Daniels, and E.J. Jones. Need I say more?

Rape happened under Brewster's careful watch.

I think it was Mason's choice to not coach. I believe his wife has a successful dental practice that he didn't want her to give up.

That's correct. I think Glen got some cushy job with a financial firm too (not sure if he still has that) before getting hired with BTN, where I agree - he's a great analyst. I have no doubt he could have coached again if he wanted, but I also think that he just didn't have the desire anymore.

Brewster is a decent assistant, but I agree that he is the worst coach in Gopher history. Worse than Salem. Worse than Wacker. But I don't blame him as much as I do Maturi. Maturi was so over his head as AD it's just sad.

That's correct. I think Glen got some cushy job with a financial firm too (not sure if he still has that) before getting hired with BTN, where I agree - he's a great analyst. I have no doubt he could have coached again if he wanted, but I also think that he just didn't have the desire anymore. Brewster is a decent assistant, but I agree that he is the worst coach in Gopher history. Worse than Salem. Worse than Wacker. But I don't blame him as much as I do Maturi. Maturi was so over his head as AD it's just sad.

I think Brewster would have had a better chance had he stuck with the same system/coordinators. He needed a group like Kill has to lean on as he learned the ropes.

Brewster is a decent assistant, but I agree that he is the worst coach in Gopher history. Worse than Salem. Worse than Wacker.

Worse than Wacker? How do you figure? Based on the fact that Brewster was statistically better by virtually every measure?

He didn't recruit nearly as well as people think. Only slightly better than normal Gopher recruiting aside from the 2008 class which wasn't nearly as good enrolled in the fall as it looked on paper in February. Brew was a better recruiter than Kill and Mason, but an absolutely awful coach which negated any possible gains he might have seen from his recruiting efforts with his mismanagement of the team.

So Brewster's recruiting at Mississippi State and FSU was not any good?

I thought we were talking about when he was with the Gophers? MSU and FSU are completley different situations.

The truth is, Brewster "got some very good football players away from some very good programs" based on the recruiting rankings the past few years, Rivals.com recruiting expert Mike Farrell said.

The Gophers had won six games and gone to their fifth consecutive bowl game when Brewster took over the program from Glen Mason, who was fired after a 2006 Insight Bowl loss. Appearances were that Mason left Brewster a bowl-caliber program. In reality, Minnesota's talent was dropping to the point that Brewster needed an overhaul.

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_16764188
Brewster was a better recruiter by Rival rankings than Kill or Mason, but he sabotaged his own recruiting success by being a complete train wreck of a coach. I would love to have him as a recruiting coordinator, but as a head coach he was a joke. That being said, his recruiting was not top 25 while he was here, and would not propel the Gophers to success on its own.

I can get Mason being mad at Brewster on an emotional level for being the guy who replaced him in a job Glen didn't leave by choice. However, there seems to a something much more personal than just that. Up front or behind the scenes, I get the feeling Tim Brewster may have said something about Glen Mason that was critical or derogatory, or at least perceived that way by or presented that way to Glen. Barring that or some sort of run in, unless Glen personally takes it to heart that Tim unwittingly tore down what he'd built, it's hard to understand why Mason shows such bitterness towards Brewster instead of directing that feeling towards Joel Maturi and Robert Bruininks.

Barring that or some sort of run in, unless Glen personally takes it to heart that Tim unwittingly tore down what he'd built, it's hard to understand why Mason shows such bitterness towards Brewster instead of directing that feeling towards Joel Maturi and Robert Bruininks.

Actually, it is not that hard to understand why Mason would criticize Brewster. He wants to deflect attention from his own failures at the U. It is a classic defense mechanism.

Brewster was a better recruiter by Rival rankings than Kill or Mason, but he sabotaged his own recruiting success by being a complete train wreck of a coach. I would love to have him as a recruiting coordinator, but as a head coach he was a joke.

Whether you take ratings as fact or not, part of being a good recruiter is recruiting kids that can a)make it into school, b)succeed in school, c)compliment your offensive strategy, d)compliment the other players on your team, e)fill 'holes' your roster has, and so much more. Otherwise one could recruit 20 4* OL and be still be considered a great recruiter?

Brewster was not a better recruiter because he had better ratings and it was because he mostly failed at those other aspects. I'm shocked how so many on this board don't see that. I doubt Brewster ever did either.

Whether you take ratings as fact or not, part of being a good recruiter is recruiting kids that can a)make it into school, b)succeed in school, c)compliment your offensive strategy, d)compliment the other players on your team, e)fill 'holes' your roster has, and so much more. Otherwise one could recruit 20 4* OL and be still be considered a great recruiter?

Brewster was not a better recruiter because he had better ratings and it was because he mostly failed at those other aspects. I'm shocked how so many on this board don't see that. I doubt Brewster ever did either.

Failure at those other things is why he's succeeding at FSU now.....

I would put 100% of the blame on the rapist.

That I agree with 100%. I was only responding to someone who was placing that event on Mason's plate. They weren't his players any longer.

Failure at those other things is why he's succeeding at FSU now.....

I think the issue was player identification. I'd bet at FSU, he has Jimbo or another coordinator telling him "that's the guy we want, go get him", and Brewster is able to excel at that. At the U, it never seemed like he struggled to get the guys he wanted to sign on the dotted line, the problem was the guys he picked either weren't able to get into and stay in college or weren't a good team when they were all combined.

I think the issue was player identification. I'd bet at FSU, he has Jimbo or another coordinator telling him "that's the guy we want, go get him", and Brewster is able to excel at that. At the U, it never seemed like he struggled to get the guys he wanted to sign on the dotted line, the problem was the guys he picked either weren't able to get into and stay in college or weren't a good team when they were all combined.

So Brewster has a nationwide reputation as a great college football recruiter but he doesn't deserve it? Are you also saying that it is not possible for a college football coach to learn from his mistakes and use his experience to improve his skills and help his team win more football games?

That I agree with 100%. I was only responding to someone who was placing that event on Mason's plate. They weren't his players any longer.

We have been constantly hearing that Brewster recruited bad guys who didn't succeed academically. Show be the proof. The four rapists were recruited by Mason and spent the large majority of their time at U under Mason's influence. Any other narrative is BS.

I agree, but when comparing there are few metrics that are available aside from Rivals/Scout/etc.

University of Minnesota Academic APR Football Scores

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2004 - 2005 918 Mason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2005 - 2006 919 Mason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2006 - 2007 927 Mason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2007 - 2008 915 Mason/Brewster
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2008 - 2009 934 Brewster
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2009 - 2010 935 Brewster
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2010 - 2011 932 Brewster
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2011 - 2012 955 Brewster/Kill
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2011 - 2012 955 Kill
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2012 - 2013 962 Kill

http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

We have been constantly hearing that Brewster recruited bad guys who didn't succeed academically. Show be the proof. The four rapists were recruited by Mason and spent the large majority of their time at U under Mason's influence. Any other narrative is BS.

True, Mason recruited those 4 guys. The question here is whether the Captain of the Ship allowed a different culture when said position switched hands. And the counter point to your statement is that the academic numbers Brewster's last year were god awful. Many here blamed that on Jeff Horton and that he didn't care whether those kids went to class. Remember Kill saying they had to follow like 50+ kids daily to ensure they went to class? So either that was Brewster's fault for recruiting those kids or it was Horton's fault for not minding the ship he captained. Really doesn't matter anymore. Feel free to have the last word, I'm done commenting.

Sparlimb, I will wait to see what other non-factual and illogical criticisms of Brewster are posted.

So Brewster has a nationwide reputation as a great college football recruiter but he doesn't deserve it? Are you also saying that it is not possible for a college football coach to learn from his mistakes and use his experience to improve his skills and help his team win more football games?

I did not say any of that. I said that I think his strength lies in building relationships and convincing kids to sign. That is a valuable skill set to have and he does it well. I expressed doubt as to his ability to evaluate players who would thrive at the college level and fit into a system. This is why I believe he is a fabulous asset for a head coach who has a system in place, can identify who he wants, and then tell Brew to go get them. It is also why I am skeptical as to his ability to succeed as a head coach at the Big 5 level. I could be wrong, and he certainly could learn and do better if given another chance, and unless that chance comes at a school I hate, I'll go ahead and hope for his continued success.

Actually, it is not that hard to understand why Mason would criticize Brewster. He wants to deflect attention from his own failures at the U. It is a classic defense mechanism.

Actually it is hard to understand. Brewster's clown car tenure, along with Glen's work in the media, has completely changed Mason's image in the state.

I don't think any of that is true. But I would argue that he didn't recruit at MN as well as ratings might indicate.

Top Bottom