Mason: Brewster talked a good game, didn't get it done; Jerry says little does a lot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Post Dispatch:

Minnesota (7-2) is tied atop the West Division at 4-1 with Nebraska and Wisconsin, and the Gophers conclude the regular season against those teams after facing the Buckeyes. Destiny is in hand. This season has continued a methodical rebuilding process that Kill initiated after inheriting a program that had gone 15-30 from 2007 to ’10 under Tim Brewster.

“If you’ve paid attention to what has gone on up there since Coach Kill got there, they’ve progressively gotten better with each season,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “It’s a credit to them. They’ve built that thing brick by brick.”

The Gophers went 3-9 in Kill’s first year, 6-7 the next and 8-5 last season when they won four consecutive Big Ten games for the first time in four decades.

“All respect to Tim Brewster, but he talked a good game and didn’t get it done,” former Minnesota coach Glen Mason said. “Jerry just came in, said little and did a lot.”

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/11/13/minnesota-football-kill-feature-11-13.html

Go Gophers!!

MASE IN YOUR FACE!!!! :)

Like him or not, the guy knows his stuff. If you ever have the chance to talk to him one on one, you'd be amazed at his football knowledge, and his memory.

He comes across a lot differently as a member of the media than he did as a coach. Much more personable and honest and I don't think of him as arrogant like I once did. One of the reasons I've gone back to listening to Barreiro's show. Dan has gotten a lot more Gopher friendly since Mason and Norwood became regular guests. Of course, I think the positive trend in both football and basketball is the main reason, but it's been a while since I've heard that damn sound bite from the South Dakota State game. God, that was embarrassing.

“If you’ve paid attention to what has gone on up there since Coach Kill got there, they’ve progressively gotten better with each season,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “It’s a credit to them. They’ve built that thing brick by brick.”

Thanks Kirk! I truly appreciate you pimping our tag line!

He comes across a lot differently as a member of the media than he did as a coach. Much more personable and honest and I don't think of him as arrogant like I once did. One of the reasons I've gone back to listening to Barreiro's show. Dan has gotten a lot more Gopher friendly since Mason and Norwood became regular guests. Of course, I think the positive trend in both football and basketball is the main reason, but it's been a while since I've heard that damn sound bite from the South Dakota State game. God, that was embarrassing.

It seems odd to me that they chose that sound byte to harp on, considering South Dakota State only scored one touchdown that game and the Gophers won. We had worse games than that.

Mase is much better as a football commentator than he ever was as a coach. If he had won a few more games, and made a few less excuses for not winning more games, he would still be coaching the Gophers. Mase and Brewster both came to the same bad end in Minnesota. The main difference is that Brewster is still coaching football and Mason is only talking about it.

Basically, talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words. Great leaders display their greatness in the things they do more than what they say.

Mase is much better as a football commentator than he ever was as a coach. If he had won a few more games, and made a few less excuses for not winning more games, he would still be coaching the Gophers. Mase and Brewster both came to the same bad end in Minnesota. The main difference is that Brewster is still coaching football and Mason is only talking about it.

That's shortchanging Mason. Say what you will, but not fair to give him his due in the major part he played in getting the ball rolling on the stadium.

per the Post Dispatch:

Minnesota (7-2) is tied atop the West Division at 4-1 with Nebraska and Wisconsin, and the Gophers conclude the regular season against those teams after facing the Buckeyes. Destiny is in hand. This season has continued a methodical rebuilding process that Kill initiated after inheriting a program that had gone 15-30 from 2007 to ’10 under Tim Brewster.

The Gophers went 3-9 in Kill’s first year, 6-7 the next and 8-5 last season when they won four consecutive Big Ten games for the first time in four decades.

“All respect to Tim Brewster, but he talked a good game and didn’t get it done,” former Minnesota coach Glen Mason said. “Jerry just came in, said little and did a lot.”

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/con...13/minnesota-football-kill-feature-11-13.html

Go Gophers!!

I like Mase and appreciated the good teams he put together for the Gophers. Accomplished some very nice things here. Just wish he wouldn't have used that opportunity to bump Brewster. Absolutely no need for that. Brewster talked a good game because he simply wanted to be positive about the school and the program. In fact, Brew was more positive and upbeat about the Gophers than Mason was. I ran into Mason once at the Minneapolis Club and one of the first things out of his mouth was how much he disliked the Minnesota Gopher Football fans. I don't think Mase was happy at Minnesota the last few years and believe he really wanted out. Brewster must've said or implied something years ago about Mason that Mason can't let go of. Oh well.

I agree that Jerry doesn't talk about rose bowls, but it's pretty inaccurate to say he "says little". The players can say little and play loud, but Jerry is constantly talking. as he should be.

Speaking of Mason...Where has Wren been lately? Did I miss something?

IMO winning had less to do with him getting fired than his arrogance and perceived lack of interest. My memories are starting to get fuzzy but when I would watch his press conferences towards the end he didn't look like a guy who wanted to even be here. That probably is the biggest reason he never coached again, maybe he was just burned out and wasn't desperate to jump back in somewhere. I'm sure he had all the money he'd ever need, and as we've seen many other opportunities were available to him.

I hope you're not implying that Brewster is a better coach than Mase... c'mon man.

If Mason was as good as you apparently think he was he would still be coaching football. A significant percentage of the people who liked what Mason did at the U are posters in GopherHole. The majority of high school football coaches in Minnesota didn't like him and neither did most of the fans. I was planning to give up my season tickets to Gopher football until Maturi fired his ass. I kept the tickets and still have them. I never once thought about giving them up when Brewster was coach. I enjoyed having a coach who worked hard at recruiting and wanted to win football games. After 2003 Mason stopped caring about wins and losses at the U. But he never stopped caring about and cashing his million dollar pay checks.

Mase and Brewster both came to the same bad end in Minnesota. The main difference is that Brewster is still coaching football and Mason is only talking about it.

No, Brewster was fired mid-season due to being booed off the field repeatedly. Mason blew a huge lead in a Bowl and would not have been fired in he hadn't lost that game. Brewster is a lifer as an assistant and recruiter. Mason is a head coach who only wanted to be a head coach. He's got a great gig on BTN and is probably their best football guy. He is great with KFAN as well.

That being said he could have taken the high road on the Brewster comment.

If Mason was as good as you apparently think he was he would still be coaching football. A significant percentage of the people who liked what Mason did at the U are posters in GopherHole. The majority of high school football coaches in Minnesota didn't like him and neither did most of the fans. I was planning to give up my season tickets to Gopher football until Maturi fired his ass. I kept the tickets and still have them. I never once thought about giving up my tickets when Brewster was coach.

Mason was only good enough to get an on campus stadium built.

Mason was only good enough to get an on campus stadium built.

And all along I thought it was Gopher fans, supporters, students, season ticket buyers, taxpayers, and all of the people who contributed money to the new stadium who got it built. Thanks for setting us straight.

The whole story line is getting old, Mason still has an ax to grind for getting fired and brings up how badly Brewster did everytime he gets a chance, I don't see why he can't stick to talking about how successfull Kill has been and forget about Brewster, it's not like Brewster is the only head football coach that has failed at Minnesota.

Wish Mason could've opened the new stadium.

He deserved that.

But he was also mailing it in.

Mason wanted out? Why is he still living here? Glen got a little lazy in his last two recruiting classes.
He had three good recruiters on his staff the last couple of seasons here. Gordon Shaw ( instate ) Mitch Browning and Carey Bailey. The rest were marginal too say the least. You need 7 guys hitting the road hard. Mason had three. If the Gophers hadn't blown the Tech game I think Mason in the new Stadium would have energized him. He didn't have the best relationship with Marturi and that really came out at the pep fest before the Tech game. Glen is the best thing the BTN has going for them.
He could probably move on to the major networks, but he's happy where he is at flying into Chicago
two times a week. While Glen was here I had great interactions with him at outings. He and his wife Kate are good people and fun to be around. I could go a lot deeper on the topic, but some of you have your own conjectures about him. So be it.

Wish Mason could've opened the new stadium.

He deserved that.

But he was also mailing it in.

This.

I hope we can recognize Glen Mason during a game someday. Our stadium does not get built without his efforts, on the field and off. However, it was time for him to go, and the decision to fire him was not a knee jerk reaction to the bowl meltdown. Without a Matt Spaeth blocked field goal as time expired against NDSU, it probably would've happened a couple of months sooner.

If Mason was as good as you apparently think he was he would still be coaching football. A significant percentage of the people who liked what Mason did at the U are posters in GopherHole. The majority of high school football coaches in Minnesota didn't like him and neither did most of the fans. I was planning to give up my season tickets to Gopher football until Maturi fired his ass. I kept the tickets and still have them. I never once thought about giving them up when Brewster was coach. I enjoyed having a coach who worked hard at recruiting and wanted to win football games. After 2003 Mason stopped caring about wins and losses at the U. But he never stopped caring about and cashing his million dollar pay checks.
Mason won games, Brewster didn't. You can care and have excitement all you want, but Brewster couldn't execute as a head coach. I would wager that if Mason was interested in being a coordinator or assistant somewhere he would have a job, but it seems he is content getting paid lots of money for an easier lifestyle and I can't fault him for that.

Don't get me wrong, Mason needed to go. I was chanting "fire Mason" along with every other student at the time. The mistake made back then wasn't firing Mase, it was hiring Brew.

Mason wanted out? Why is he still living here? Glen got a little lazy in his last two recruiting classes.
He had three good recruiters on his staff the last couple of seasons here. Gordon Shaw ( instate ) Mitch Browning and Carey Bailey. The rest were marginal too say the least. You need 7 guys hitting the road hard. Mason had three. If the Gophers hadn't blown the Tech game I think Mason in the new Stadium would have energized him. He didn't have the best relationship with Marturi and that really came out at the pep fest before the Tech game. Glen is the best thing the BTN has going for them.
He could probably move on to the major networks, but he's happy where he is at flying into Chicago
two times a week. While Glen was here I had great interactions with him at outings. He and his wife Kate are good people and fun to be around. I could go a lot deeper on the topic, but some of you have your own conjectures about him. So be it.

I was the one who used the phrase "wanted out". You're right, that was a very poor choice of words. I should be more careful in my writing and analysis. All I should've said was that Mase was frustrated with the fan base when I spoke to him at the Minneapolis Club. That part was factual and his words, not mine. I also should've said that Mase seems like a good man. I had lunch with him when he was working for Pohlad's money management firm and he was kind, funny and very intelligent. I just wish he hadn't elbowed Brewster like that in the article. Not necessary. And Mase is above that.

I have really enjoyed Mase as a commentator and as a radio personality, and the Brewster regime made me appreciate his tenure as coach a little more too. I don't know why he took the shot at Brewster, but it's tough to argue with it. I prefer to see it more as a compliment to our current coach.

I have really enjoyed Mase as a commentator and as a radio personality, and the Brewster regime made me appreciate his tenure as coach a little more too. I don't know why he took the shot at Brewster, but it's tough to argue with it. I prefer to see it more as a compliment to our current coach.
I didn't see it as a shot, just a fact.

And all along I thought it was Gopher fans, supporters, students, season ticket buyers, taxpayers, and all of the people who contributed money to the new stadium who got it built. Thanks for setting us straight.

True, but it never gets traction to get those folks involved if it wasn't for Mason. A new Gopher stadium was on almost nobody's radar before Mason got vocal and started preaching. I am convinced TCF Bank Stadium is not built if it wasn't for Mason and we'd be full time sharing a Vikings stadium right now.

Yes he's not coaching, but Mason also was a head coach at three schools before being let go and 56 years old. He was not going to take a position coach job and work his way back up. At that point in his career, it was head coach or nothing. I'm sure if he had wanted to be a position coach he could have gotten a job in a matter of minutes with his connections. Not to mention all the rumors of positions that he chose not to pursue (New Mexico [State?] comes to mind among others). Besides, I think once he started announcing he figured out he was pretty good, it was pretty easy, and it was good pay.

Top Bottom