Fast Start Propels No. 1 Gophers to series sweep over No. 14/15 Notre Dame

Reaction score
A three-goal first period was all the Gophers needed on Sunday as No. 1 Minnesota swept No. 14/15 Notre Dame with a 4-2 victory. Mike Reilly tallied a goal and an assist while Taylor Cammarata added three helpers of his own to propel the nation’s top team.

Fast Start
It didn’t take long for the Gophers to get out to a lead on Sunday. Sam Warning took the puck out of the corner, walked in front and sent a wrister upstairs to make it 1-0 just 29 seconds into the game. Minnesota would add powerplay goals from Hudson Fasching and Mike Reilly to take a 3-0 lead into the first break.

“We came out strong with those three goals there,” said Reilly. “We knew that the Notre Dame coach was probably yelling at them after the first period. And we knew they were going to come out strong. They really took it to us most of the second period.”

Notre Dame would score two in the second, but Michael Brodzinski’s goal following a painful shot block gave Minnesota a two-goal cushion heading into the final frame.

“I blocked a shot on the wrist but everything’s alright,” said Brodzinski. “First shift back, I got a goal. It was really nice goal to get and break the ice there.”

Minnesota was able to come away with the win, but know that they will need to continue their strong play for a full game to put teams away.

“We gotta never let up,” said Brodzinski of Notre Dame’s attempted comeback. “We just gotta keep our foot on the gas and keep going at all times. The game’s never over until the final buzzer goes.”

Warning, Kloos, Cammarata Connection
One of the most impressive things for me to watch all weekend was the play of Sam Warning, Justin Kloos, and Cammarata. The trio is absolutely dominant when they have the puck in the offensive zone, creating sustained pressure and putting the defense on their heels. That’s a line I expect will get more and more minutes when the Gophers are in need of an offensive spark.

“I think it’s mainly our speed and our cutbacks down low…It’s just that speed down low,” said Cammarata of the line’s success.

The three forwards accounted for one goal and six assists on Sunday and totaled 11 points in the weekend sweep. Obviously it helps that these speedsters get to play on the big sheet at Mariucci but that speed and skill can play on any rink.

D Steps Up
One thing that I was happy to see this weekend was a resurgent effort from the defensemen to create offense and provide some scoring punch from the blue line. Ben Marshall, Mike Reilly, and Michael Brodzinski all scored on the weekend after Minnesota’s defense had been held without a goal except for a Brady Skjei empty-netter.

“I think the big emphasis this weekend was for the defense just to join the rush and be the fourth man in,” said Brodzinski. “To get the puck and get some shots on net. I think that really played a big factor in our games this weekend.”

Shots from the blue line, like on Brodzinski and Reilly’s goals, have been an emphasis for Minnesota.

“We’ve been working a lot on defensive shooting from the blue line,” said Reilly. “Trying to get pucks to the net, not trying to get them blocked or miss the net.”

By the Numbers
Shots it took for Minnesota to take the lead on Sunday. Sam Warning roofed one just 29 seconds in.

5 Penalty kills for the Gophers. The Irish did score one powerplay goal but some critical kills late in the game helped seal it for the Maroon and Gold.

0 Points on the weekend for Don Lucia’s son, Mario, who came in with eight goals and two assists for the Irish. Shutting down Lucia’s line was huge for Minnesota’s defensive success.

Three Stars of the Game

#3 Sam Warning’s early goal gave Minnesota a quick jump in the first.
#2 Taylor Cammarata had three assists on the game including a perfect pass to set up Hudson Fasching for an easy tap-in.
#1 Mike Reilly led the way with a goal and an assist on Sunday.

What’s Next
The Gophers have a home-and-home series with Minnesota Duluth next weekend. Friday will be at Mariucci at 7:00 pm and can be seen on FSN+. Saturday’s rematch will be in Duluth at the same time and channel.

I couldn't believe how quickly we lit the lamps tonight. Great to see.

Thanks for the recap.

Go Gophers!!

Keep on racking up the wins in the OOC schedule here because after watching the rest of the B10, I don't think we're going to get much love for winning the conference this year

It's odd how bad Notre Dame is this year. And the 2nd best team in the big ten is Penn St. We might go undefeated in conference play and it won't help us any. Thank goodness for a decent non-conference schedule.

Top Bottom