Wilcox, Gophers Dominate Irish in 5-0 Victory

Reaction score
Following an intense series split with SCSU last weekend, the Gophers were back at home against Notre Dame on Friday. Despite the absence of some key contributors, Minnesota steamrolled the Irish, 5-0, behind Leon Bristedt’s first career goal and a 20-save shutout for Adam Wilcox.

Wilcox Shuts Down Irish
Adam Wilcox was sensational on Friday evening. In the first period, he had to stop a number of odd-man rushes including a 2-on-0 breakaway thanks to some untimely turnovers by Minnesota in the offensive zone. After getting shelled last weekend for seven goals, Wilcox was back on his game, bailing out the Gophers when they needed it most and tallying a shutout on 20 shots.

“I started to feel like myself tonight,” said Wilcox. “Kind of back to how I felt last year. I needed a little bit more balance, a little bit more calm and I was working on that in practice and I had a good week of practice and it carried over to the game.”

Bristedt Tallies First
True freshman and Sweden native, Leon Bristedt, recorded his first goal as a Gopher and was more than deserving. Prior to his second period snipe, Bristedt had been playing very well with Hudson Fasching and Kyle Rau.

“They’re both great players; both probably going to play in the NHL next season,” said Bristedt of his linemates. “I’m watching them and learning from them. They play with good speed, good grit. It’s fun.”

The youngster has a great feel for the game to go with a dynamite pair of hands. Now that the first one is out of the way, Gopher fans may see goals coming from the freshman more often.

“It’s a great feeling,” said Bristedt of his first goal. “The first goal is always the hardest and now I’ve got the first goal so it’s something to go from.”

Defensemen Step Up
Jack Glover was scratched for both games last weekend but with Brady Skjei out, Glover got the nod on Friday. The 6-foot-3 freshman blueliner looked great early in the game, breaking up a couple plays and initiating sound breakouts from his own end. For a young kid that hasn’t played a ton this season, that’s certainly encouraging to see. Like Bristedt, Glover was rewarded for his strong play, tallying an assist on a perfect pass to Mike Reilly in the third.

Fellow freshman defenseman, Ryan Collins, also had a strong game for the Maroon and Gold. The big fella continued his steady defensive play but really impressed me with his ability and poise when moving the puck or breaking out of the zone. As both youngsters continue to play bigger roles without Skjei, expect them to better adapt to the college level.

“I think it’s just good for the freshmen to get games in and get minutes for them,” said Wilcox. “If they keep getting more and more games, I think they’ll get more comfortable.”

Offense Shines
The line of Justin Kloos, Taylor Cammarata, and Sam Warning was incredible all night long possessing the puck. Kloos and Cammarata have always known right where the other will be and now it looks like Warning has become a part of that. Although it’s Minnesota’s smallest line, the trio is able to hold the puck and make it difficult for teams in their own end. That line accounted for Minnesota’s fourth goal as Warning dangled two Irish players before roofing a wrister. The story for the offense was their ability to control play in the Notre Dame end.

“The offense was really good tonight,” said Don Lucia. “For the first time all year, our forwards really worked in the offensive zone. We got some pucks behind the D and I thought we did a good job of controlling the puck in the offensive zone.”

By the Numbers
9 Career shutouts for Adam Wilcox, placing him second place all-time in Gopher history.

12 Gophers tallied points including two assists apiece for Kyle Rau, Taylor Cammarata, and Michael Brodzinksi.

24 Shot advantage for Minnesota as they outshot the Irish, 44-20.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Mike Reilly scored his first of the season on a beautiful one-timer.
#2 Leon Bristedt battled all game and potted his first gino.
#1 Adam Wilcox bounced back and was phenomenal against the Irish.

What’s Next
Since the student body will be celebrating a victory over Iowa tomorrow evening, the rematch to this series will take place at 4:00 pm on Sunday and can be seen on ESPNU.

Nice recap! Question on Wilcox, who does he trail for career shutouts and how many is he behind?

Nice recap! Question on Wilcox, who does he trail for career shutouts and how many is he behind?

Kellen Briggs leads the U in career shutouts with 13. I could definitely see Wilcox picking up at least another 4 this season.

About as dominant of a performance as you can have. Hopefully see the same thing tomorrow.

Top Bottom