Things getting critical for Crean @ IU?

Just saw this across ESPN. Definitely not looking good for him

As an IU grad, I'm pretty damn embarrassed by the state of things. Unacceptable.

Go Indiana Go
Go Indiana Go.
Down the floor
And out the door.
Go Indiana Go.

Their roster for the first two regular season games...

Guards: Yogi Ferrell, James Blackmon, Nick Zeisloft (only 6.9 ppg at Illinois St)
Forwards: Nobody, Nobody, Nobody
Centers: Nobody, Nobody,

Are we sure they won't struggle against those two teams, no matter how bad they are??

All three players will be eligible to return for Indiana's Nov. 20 home game against SMU.

332qz6h.jpg

CBS: Disconnect between Tom Crean and players has Indiana in disarray

My guess: Somebody with knowledge of the failed drug tests recognized leaking them now is a good way to pile on Crean, and, well, it worked. The seventh-year coach spent his first coaches show listening to a caller ask why he still has a job, and, unless Crean overachieves with this roster, that question will be repeated lots over the next four months.

None of which means Tom Crean is a bad guy.

None of which means Tom Crean is a terrible coach.

(Personally, I've known him for a while and like him just fine.)

All this means is that Tom Crean is in a tough spot at a high-profile job with a passionate fan base, and those tough spots are hard to escape. Yes, I know, he has a buyout of $12 million, and that's an awesome job by his agent. But $12 million won't prevent a school with Big Ten money from pulling the plug on a coach overseeing a roster in disarray who doesn't win enough, and that's why Tom Crean had better win enough this season. Or else.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...tom-crean-and-players-has-indiana-in-disarray

Go Gophers!!

Gregg Doyel (who recently left CBS to take a columnist job at the Indy Star): IU basketball's problems are an 'epidemic'

Crean has had more losing seasons (three) than NCAA Tournament bids (two) in six years at Indiana. After averaging 28 wins and reaching the Sweet 16 in 2012 and '13, Indiana dropped to 17-15 last season.

Doesn't matter. Not the point. You can say Tom Crean is under-performing, failing as Indiana's coach, and I'd agree.

But I'm not talking about basketball.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ing-these-hoosiers-on-and-off-court/18439637/

Go Gophers!!

CBS: Disconnect between Tom Crean and players has Indiana in disarray

My guess: Somebody with knowledge of the failed drug tests recognized leaking them now is a good way to pile on Crean, and, well, it worked. The seventh-year coach spent his first coaches show listening to a caller ask why he still has a job, and, unless Crean overachieves with this roster, that question will be repeated lots over the next four months.

None of which means Tom Crean is a bad guy.

None of which means Tom Crean is a terrible coach.

(Personally, I've known him for a while and like him just fine.)

All this means is that Tom Crean is in a tough spot at a high-profile job with a passionate fan base, and those tough spots are hard to escape. Yes, I know, he has a buyout of $12 million, and that's an awesome job by his agent. But $12 million won't prevent a school with Big Ten money from pulling the plug on a coach overseeing a roster in disarray who doesn't win enough, and that's why Tom Crean had better win enough this season. Or else.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...tom-crean-and-players-has-indiana-in-disarray

Go Gophers!!

Indiana in disarray...music to my ears.

The part I don't get is over signing in Big Ten hoops. According to the story, Washington's transfer still leaves IU over signed by one, with no other player transfer announced. I don't mean to be naïve, but this doesn't sound like filling holes for guys who want to leave. In fishing terms, it sounds like "sorting". None of our athletic directors have supported this at all, and it is the exact opposite of what Tony Bennett does at Virginia, or Bo Ryan does at Wisconsin.

Crean set the gold standard for this at Marquette. Prospects should be wary of this before ever considering IU

Crean set the gold standard for this at Marquette. Prospects should be wary of this before ever considering IU
/
That is really interesting badger, I had never heard any of that. I am amazed that a program where Knight had virtually everyone he recruited graduating has turned into this.
I was never a Knight fan, but I respected a lot of how he ran his program. I don't see anything about Crean that makes him seem like a keeper.
We are not talking about an old WAC program here, this is Indiana hoops. Amazing.
The wrong hire can put a program in a deep hole for a long time, and they have had two in a row. (So have we and I am not talking about Pitino who I still think will succeed.)

The part I don't get is over signing in Big Ten hoops. According to the story, Washington's transfer still leaves IU over signed by one, with no other player transfer announced. I don't mean to be naïve, but this doesn't sound like filling holes for guys who want to leave. In fishing terms, it sounds like "sorting". None of our athletic directors have supported this at all, and it is the exact opposite of what Tony Bennett does at Virginia, or Bo Ryan does at Wisconsin.

Maybe the over signing assumes early draft entry of some players. Either Troy Williams or Yogi, or both, could yet declare. Williams probably should as he's showing up on some mock drafts as a first rounder.

/

The wrong hire can put a program in a deep hole for a long time, and they have had two in a row.

I don't care much for Crean but I don't see how he has put Indiana in a deep hole. They're still recruiting very good players Tubby didn't put us in a deep hole either. Todd Lickliter was the worst coach in Iowa history but even he didn't put them in a deep hole. It takes an exceptionally bad apple to damage a program enough to create a deep hole for a long time. This is just another trite and meaningless expression used by some people for the purpose of making a new coach's task seem more Herculian than it actually is.

Top Bottom