STrib: Sid Hartman nears 70 years as Minneapolis sports writer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

On Saturday, the Star Tribune will pay tribute to columnist Sid Hartman with a full-page advertisement to celebrate 70 years as a Minneapolis sportswriter. It’s a mind-boggling number, so you are excused if you did a double-take.

As part of the research done in advance of this momentous occasion, the Star Tribune dug up what appears to be one of Sid’s earliest job reviews, labeled as a “staff interview program.’’ This is a real document, and the best way we could think of to mark this occasion is to share a few snippets from that review to illustrate how little has changed in 70 years.

“Just let me dig up news and get it into print is all I’m thinking about. I like my job. It’s fun.”

That’s a quote attributed to Sid during his interview with his supervisor, former sports editor Charles Johnson, and noted under “indications of interest in personal advancement.” Those of us who have only been here about 15 years can’t vouch for the entirety of his career, but it seems as though that general sentiment has remained constant.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/281016402.html

Go Gophers!!

Good for you Sid. Here's to another 70 years.

Sid has become a bit of a punching bag in recent years and I will freely admit that he brings much of it on himself. That being said you have to be impressed with that kind of longevity at anything. When he finally does hang it up he will be missed.

He's a senile old dick, but he's our senile old dick. In an age of cookie cutter, ESPN wannabes, there's no one else like Sid.

He's a senile old dick, but he's our senile old dick. In an age of cookie cutter, ESPN wannabes, there's no one else like Sid.

Ya, You really can't be mad at the guy. He probably has no idea what he's saying anymore. I'm starting to warm up to him. He is quite the entertainment.

He sounds like a guy who has been on the job for 70 years. If he was actually worth listening to or wrote his own columns he would be worth a applauding. In reality, it's just a pitiful sight. Hopefully, for him, he will see the Gophers in one more Rose Bowl and then go in peace.

He sounds like a guy who has been on the job for 70 years. If he was actually worth listening to or wrote his own columns he would be worth a applauding. In reality, it's just a pitiful sight. Hopefully, for him, he will see the Gophers in one more Rose Bowl and then go in peace.

As you wish Sid to go in peace, he hopes you go in misery. I agree with Sid. :cool02:

As you wish Sid to go in peace, he hopes you go in misery. I agree with Sid. :cool02:

I'm sure he does because he only kisses the asses of people who are important. That's right he could care less about you too.

When I was a kid, he was considered old. Now I'm in my mid 40's and he's still going.
We may not miss him when he's gone, but we will never stop complaining about him.

When I was a kid, he was considered old. Now I'm in my mid 40's and he's still going.
We may not miss him when he's gone, but we will never stop complaining about him.

Same with me, it's hard to believe the guy is still around doing sports reporting. Someone should do a psych study on why some people keep going on the job like that. There must be something in their upbringing or something that gives them that kind of a drive. Anyway, good for Sid for living to 95 and somehow doing what he does this long.

I've heard Sid say that they actually have his start date wrong and that he's worked there longer. At the very least he did work for the paper as a delivery boy when he was a kid. He actually used to sell the paper to Kid Cann back in the old days Sid said he was a good tipper.

"Sports writer"? He hasn't written anything for years. Please retire you old ****

Top Bottom