STrib: Sid Hartman nears 70 years as Minneapolis sports writer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

On Saturday, the Star Tribune will pay tribute to columnist Sid Hartman with a full-page advertisement to celebrate 70 years as a Minneapolis sportswriter. It’s a mind-boggling number, so you are excused if you did a double-take.

As part of the research done in advance of this momentous occasion, the Star Tribune dug up what appears to be one of Sid’s earliest job reviews, labeled as a “staff interview program.’’ This is a real document, and the best way we could think of to mark this occasion is to share a few snippets from that review to illustrate how little has changed in 70 years.

“Just let me dig up news and get it into print is all I’m thinking about. I like my job. It’s fun.”

That’s a quote attributed to Sid during his interview with his supervisor, former sports editor Charles Johnson, and noted under “indications of interest in personal advancement.” Those of us who have only been here about 15 years can’t vouch for the entirety of his career, but it seems as though that general sentiment has remained constant.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/281016402.html

Go Gophers!!

Love him or hate him but respect his dedication. I grew up in Minnesota in the sixties and the sport pages didn't contain much back then. But he was always full of new information from the professionals and on down to Minnesota high schools. Congrats!

Love 'em or leave 'em, Sid has earned his icon status in Minnesota sports annals.

When Sid and Reusse are gone, the Twin Cities sports scene is going to be really short of personalities. Love 'em or hate 'em, Sid and Reusse have unique personalities. With them gone, what's left - generic yahoos like Zulgad and Mackey, and band-wagon jumpers like Souhan. Not to mention Mike "Smirking Idiot" Max.

When Sid and Reusse are gone, the Twin Cities sports scene is going to be really short of personalities. Love 'em or hate 'em, Sid and Reusse have unique personalities. With them gone, what's left - generic yahoos like Zulgad and Mackey, and band-wagon jumpers like Souhan. Not to mention Mike "Smirking Idiot" Max.

Have to agree. I enjoyed Mackey with Reusse, but since he went with Zulgad he has gone downhill. Those two have gotten hard to listen to.

Homer & Panic

Have to agree. I enjoyed Mackey with Reusse, but since he went with Zulgad he has gone downhill. Those two have gotten hard to listen to.

Reusse's nickname for Mackey & Zulgad (Homer & Panic) fits.

Mackey and Judd aren't awful, but neither show is as good as Reusse and Mackey were together.

Mackey and Judd aren't awful, but neither show is as good as Reusse and Mackey were together.

Agreed.......dumb decision.

Almost as bad as cco when they paired Steve Cannon with Ruth Kozalak. Anyone remember that one?

Max is getting good at riling Sid up on the Sports Show. How could you say we're short of sports personalities when our beat writer believes in Sasquatch?

And I think both Reusse and Sid do love their jobs. They work hard. They are the best we have. Most will not agree but I think Doogie could emerge someday as a major contributor. He works hard, loves his job and is interesting to listen to for me.

As someone who spent a lot of time working with Reusse in various Twin Cities press boxes, he is without question the most entertaining sportswriter around. His stories of past teams, athletes and coaches are consistently hilarious, and in many cases they're the only form of sanity during long, losing seasons.

Sid has been writing for as many years as I am old.

We Septuagenarians rule!!!

Top Bottom