2015 Scholarship Newly Available! What will Pitino do with it?

Not only did he miss but he looked bad missing, Lofton missed a bunch but he was on the front rim on every one of his shots, Morris wasn't even close on most of his three's, maybe I'm wrong but I'll be surprised if he shoots the three with any proficiency, very good going to the basket though, might be as good as anybody in the program recently and there have been some good ones.

Carlos was 0-5 in the scrimmage but he was 40 for 132 from the 3 point line last year in Juco. I think they have the same size basket and length of shot :) so I think he will shoot it okay. Often times coaches at the next level can get a guy to select shots a bit better to get that percentage up a bit. So with a little improvement and shot selection- anybody that shoots the 3 at 33% or better is going to be okay. For reference McNeil on a smaller sampling shot 29.5 % last year and Austin who got hot in the tournament was 34.6%.

Any chance we have interest in the Frankamp kid transferring from kansas? Kid can shoot and we lack perimeter shooters

Any chance we have interest in the Frankamp kid transferring from kansas? Kid can shoot and we lack perimeter shooters

I was just going wondering the same thing... Midwest guy, could play a big role here at a respected program. SG spot just opened too! Seems like it'd be a great fit.

Personally, I think that's a lousy idea. Let's spend a month messing with another Big Ten team's committed player instead of focusing on some of the uncommitted players (some of who've already been offered scholarships) left. That's a great way to waste time while making enemies in the process. There are plenty of good uncommitted players left and I don't care what high school or state any of them are from.
It isn't like the coaches would need to spend a month focusing only on AI and it isn't so much where he is from but that he seems to be almost a perfect fit at the PF spot in Pitino's offense and it was widely thought that he was a Minnesota lean before the Gophers ran out of scholarships. Definitely worth a shot imo. and if he says he isn't interested then fine and move on.

He could play for us this spring semester correct? Would be a nice boost and added guard depth.

Frankamp ?

He could play for us this spring semester correct? Would be a nice boost and added guard depth.

If you mean Frankamp...no, he has to sit out a year. If he came here in January 2015, he could play beginning January 2016
and for two more seasons following that.

It sounds like Frankamp may end up at Creighton. He can shoot lights out but is a little on the small side for a shooting guard and isn't a great defender.

Never stop recruiting. Two "slots" open as of today.

Any coaching staff worth a damn would have been going over this topic regularly - nothing new here. E.g., "Oh man, this happened... now we need to think about recruiting again" is a message board timeline of events... shouldn't be the case for basketball programs.

If there's a good fit, try to make it happen.

The interesting thing will be whether Pitino's response will be to shy away from higher risk recruitments. Sometimes you take a chance - and this year he most certainly did with several guys - sometimes you stay far away.

If you mean Frankamp...no, he has to sit out a year. If he came here in January 2015, he could play beginning January 2016
and for two more seasons following that.

Not exactly. A year in residence is generally based on the new institution's academic calendar. That is, when the first semester is wrapped up at Minnesota, a mid-year transfer could be eligible. Depending on how the schedule is laid out, that could mean only missing ~8 to 10 games.

It's significant to note because we're talking about potentially getting in 5 games against nonconference opponents prior to the start of the Big Ten season.. vs. a 'January' eligibility time frame lining up with the conference schedule.

If lofton is still in school on scholarship, wouldn't that preclude a mid year addition? Even if lofton is not on the team

If lofton is still in school on scholarship, wouldn't that preclude a mid year addition? Even if lofton is not on the team
Lofton may still be in school and on scholarship for this semester but I would be surprised if that was the case next semester which would open up the scholarship for a mid year transfer. I would guess Shell is far more likely to be on scholarship for the spring semester than Lofton is.

No.

Lofton may still be in school and on scholarship for this semester but I would be surprised if that was the case next semester which would open up the scholarship for a mid year transfer.

Incorrect.

No.

Incorrect.
What exactly was incorrect with my post saying I doubt that Lofton will be on scholarship 2nd semester so there would probably be an open scholarship to add a mid year transfer if Pitino wanted to?

What exactly was incorrect with my post saying I doubt that Lofton will be on scholarship 2nd semester so there would probably be an open scholarship to add a mid year transfer if Pitino wanted to?

Scholarships are for an academic year. Lofton could leave tomorrow -
It doesn't create a spring semester scholarship. (However, there is currently an open scholarship to work with, unrelated to Lofton.)

Ok, I'll bite. What is the open scholarship?

Also, when Devoe Joseph transferred to Oregon mid-year, did he pay his own way for the spring semester or did they somehow have an open scholarship to give him - and if so, do you know why?

I'll hang up and listen.

Ok, I'll bite. What is the open scholarship? Also, when Devoe Joseph transferred to Oregon mid-year, did he pay his own way for the spring semester or did they somehow have an open scholarship to give him - and if so, do you know why? I'll hang up and listen.

The open scholarship is the recruit who is working on his English. He isn't currently on scholarship.

I believe you are right.

Per Amilia

If Lofton decides to stay in school at Minnesota -- he was only removed from the team, not the university -- he can keep the scholarship for one full school year. If he decides to a) transfer or b) hire an agent in an attempt to go pro, he violates the terms of his scholarship and loses it, but the university still can't use the empty spot for someone else.

Essentially, this NCAA rule was created to prevent coaches from arbitrarily kicking student-athletes off a team throughout the year to obtain more talented players as they become available

The open scholarship is the recruit who is working on his English. He isn't currently on scholarship.

Right. Thanks.

Can't help but notice GW has ignored the other question twice now......

Possibilities: And somebody could transfer to Minnesota in January, 2015 and pay their own way for one semester and be awarded a scholarship next fall. Depending on their individual circumstances they could be eligible to play immediately but more commonly not eligible to play until next January 2016, if they enrolled this January.

Whatever Lofton does has no bearing on adding a player this season. His scholarship is not transferable this season to anybody. Next season it is.

It could obviously be used by an incoming freshman next season who would eligible immediately under normal circumstances.

Gaston isn't on scholarship because he isn't in school taking classes because he didn't get accepted after getting through the NCAA Clearinghouse because he couldn't pass the English test. As he is in Minnesota and attended the game the other day I would be pretty surprised if Pitino considers that an "open scholarship" unless he were to fail the test a second time. I doubt that would happen as one learns a language pretty quickly when one is immersed in it. If Pitino didn't want him here, he certainly wouldn't be in Minnesota. Therefore IMO, we have one scholarship (Lofton's).

Gaston isn't on scholarship because he isn't in school taking classes because he didn't get accepted after getting through the NCAA Clearinghouse because he couldn't pass the English test. As he is in Minnesota and attended the game the other day I would be pretty surprised if Pitino considers that an "open scholarship" unless he were to fail the test a second time. I doubt that would happen as one learns a language pretty quickly when one is immersed in it. If Pitino didn't want him here, he certainly wouldn't be in Minnesota. Therefore IMO, we have one scholarship (Lofton's).

Time for another cryptic post from GW acting like only he knows the real story.

Time for another cryptic post from GW acting like only he knows the real story.

GW blows balls...and I commend you Mully for being the most ardent Women's fan on the board. I appreciate your insight.

Top Bottom