Lofton Dismissed Due To Not Meeting Expectations and Obligations Of Team

Wiggins is only 19 yrs old, so I could see why providing to a minor (especially #1 pick in the NBA draft) could be detrimental to the program...

Hope everything works out for all both are extremely talented hate to see anything go to waste.

TIL Zach Lofton is Andrew Wiggins booze connection.

Idk. Pure speculation.... Sad situation.
On the bright side, wolves looked good tonight.

Huh? Are you implying that Pitino has possibly done something wrong when we don't know any of the details? I don't think there's any reason to believe Pitino didn't work on his attitude.

but if it was something ambiguous like "bad attitude" ... I don't know, seems to me that a good coach would work on that over some time.

I

I thought Lofton was 21, isn't he? (Pretty sure he had an extra year of prep school or something like that before starting college). So big deal if he was out and had some drinks.

He could have been buying drinks for Wiggins who probably isn't 21...

Look, no need to be coy at this point. Very sorry to hear this news.

I know that nobody in the know can/should talk about what happened, but I'm disturbed by the implication that it was not cut and dried. Cutting a guy loose just months into his tenure, while he's sitting out a redshirt year (maybe a little bored/frustrated by that) and maybe still adjusting to a new coach, is obviously a very harsh punishment. I don't think you need a Royce White situation to be dismissed - that would be the extreme - but if it was something ambiguous like "bad attitude" ... I don't know, seems to me that a good coach would work on that over some time.

In any event, I really thought Lofton would be focused during this redshirt year and be a force for us on the court next year.

Coaches don't always deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I really think it's taking some leaps to imply that Pitino isn't a good coach because Lofton was dismissed from the team. As you said, nobody in the know can legitimately tell the tale of what occurred, but given the concerns about Lofton's attitude dating back to HS and his not-very-straight-line matriculation to the "U", one could imagine that Pitino's conversation on accepting Lofton onto the team involved some pretty defined behavioral expectations. From the reports of Lofton's body language at the first scrimmage (and Pitino's frustration with that body language), perhaps Pitino brought him in for a come to Jesus meeting and Lofton's reaction indicated he wasn't on board. As others have said, team chemistry can be a tenuous thing and a coach certainly doesn't want to deal with a transfer/redshirt bringing that baggage onto the squad.

Given that Lofton's purported love/desire for the hometown team was so strong and that Lofton would be sitting out this year regardless, it really makes me wonder why Lofton was carrying around any animosity towards his position on the team. If all of us are bemoaning the fact that the scholarship possessed by Lofton kept the Gophers from bringing AI or another top notch prep from '15 onto the squad, I imagine Pitino's even more frustrated that this didn't materialize; from his quotes earlier in the summer, he spoke quite glowingly about Lofton's ability. Disappointing all around, but at this stage I feel like Pitino deserves the benefit of the doubt.

One more thought. . .in the pool, I've got Lofton landing with Iowa State. Any takers? ;)

Coaches don't always deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I really think it's taking some leaps to imply that Pitino isn't a good coach because Lofton was dismissed from the team. As you said, nobody in the know can legitimately tell the tale of what occurred, but given the concerns about Lofton's attitude dating back to HS and his not-very-straight-line matriculation to the "U", one could imagine that Pitino's conversation on accepting Lofton onto the team involved some pretty defined behavioral expectations. From the reports of Lofton's body language at the first scrimmage (and Pitino's frustration with that body language), perhaps Pitino brought him in for a come to Jesus meeting and Lofton's reaction indicated he wasn't on board. As others have said, team chemistry can be a tenuous thing and a coach certainly doesn't want to deal with a transfer/redshirt bringing that baggage onto the squad.

Given that Lofton's purported love/desire for the hometown team was so strong and that Lofton would be sitting out this year regardless, it really makes me wonder why Lofton was carrying around any animosity towards his position on the team. If all of us are bemoaning the fact that the scholarship possessed by Lofton kept the Gophers from bringing AI or another top notch prep from '15 onto the squad, I imagine Pitino's even more frustrated that this didn't materialize; from his quotes earlier in the summer, he spoke quite glowingly about Lofton's ability. Disappointing all around, but at this stage I feel like Pitino deserves the benefit of the doubt.

One more thought. . .in the pool, I've got Lofton landing with Iowa State. Any takers? ;)

I don't think so because his talent level isn't worth the headaches. (He didn't exactly dominate at Illinois State.) Fred can do much better.

Very Sad news to me as I have always had the upmost faith in zachs talent and character....

I questioned his character when he walked off the court at the end of the MN State Championship game. I have been to countless state tournaments and have not seen that before or since.

Clearly his talent far outstrips his maturity which is too bad, looks like he may not realize his potential wasted until it's too late.

Me and my family sat right next to Lofton's family at the scrimmage and they were the nicest and coolest family. Had a great time talking with them. Saw them several times again after the scrimmage and they were all smiles. My kids stopped by Zach's table to get his autograph during the autograph session and Zach was very personable and seemed like a great kid. I wish him nothing but the best in the future.

He could have been buying drinks for Wiggins who probably isn't 21...

True. That would be enough, given that he may have been offered the spot with something resembling a "zero tolerance" policy.

I wonder how a high profile guy like Wiggins could go out drinking without dozens of people (and at least some employees of wherever he goes) knowing he's underage.

Unfortunate that mistakes can define so much of a young man's development & opportunities. Bad decision or maturity, I hope he can quickly learn from this and move forward. I am sure he has a great family, but he is an adult and free to choose. I'm a huge gofer bball fan but do have an special affinity for seeing the home town boys succed w/ the team - it is a bummer.

Yes...here's what I learned. It was a curfew issue with Lofton. He's almost 22. They were at Aqua with Wiggins and bennett and got busted via snapchat some how. Lofton clearly had a short leash. I'm only passing what I heard...and my source isn't even a basketball guy and knew all of this Wednesday. He mentioned a second gopher...but I haven't gotten that name yet.

Yes...here's what I learned. It was a curfew issue with Lofton. He's almost 22. They were at Aqua with Wiggins and bennett and got busted via snapchat some how. Lofton clearly had a short leash. I'm only passing what I heard...and my source isn't even a basketball guy and knew all of this Wednesday. He mentioned a second gopher...but I haven't gotten that name yet.

Unless your source is VCUinsider, I won't be believing any of this story.

So are we still able to talk about Lofton, now that he isn't on the team, without having to worry about legal action being brought against us?

Not very smart to put snap chat stories of you out past curfew...especially when teammates can see it and report it to the coach. Sounds like that's how Lofton got busted. Also confirms that Lofton is an idiot

I'd put a hefty chunk of money on Mankato (depending on where Lofton is with his eligibility timeline and what a D1 to D1 transfer vs. a D1 to D2 transfer would do for him in terms of available semesters to play). Margenthaler has a knack for taking in kids with a history, completely ignoring said history, and winning a bunch of basketball games. Plus, they'll need an impact/D1 guard next year.

Lofton out with two Canadians and another Gopher player? I'm betting Mo. Boy, if it was Mo (after being suspended for pot last year) ... sh*t's going to hit the fan on that one too.

...and my source isn't even a basketball guy and knew all of this Wednesday.

Well yeah, doesn't have to be a basketball guy. If they were at Aqua I'm sure a gazillion people saw them. So, maybe I'm naive, but how on earth does Wiggins get in that club?

I'd put a hefty chunk of money on Mankato (depending on where Lofton is with his eligibility timeline and what a D1 to D1 transfer vs. a D1 to D2 transfer would do for him in terms of available semesters to play). Margenthaler has a knack for taking in kids with a history, completely ignoring said history, and winning a bunch of basketball games. Plus, they'll need an impact/D1 guard next year.

I wouldn't bet against that. Seems almost likely, in fact.

I wouldn't bet against that. Seems almost likely, in fact.

Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if he showed up at the semester break (and I also wouldn't be shocked to discover some other MSU player on scholarship is, conveniently, no longer on the team).

True. That would be enough, given that he may have been offered the spot with something resembling a "zero tolerance" policy.

I wonder how a high profile guy like Wiggins could go out drinking without dozens of people (and at least some employees of wherever he goes) knowing he's underage.

I was a bartender downtown when KG was underage. I was told that I would be let-go if I didn't serve him and his crew. He didn't hide the fact that he was drinking every time he came in. Poor tipper as a youngster btw.

Well yeah, doesn't have to be a basketball guy. If they were at Aqua I'm sure a gazillion people saw them. So, maybe I'm naive, but how on earth does Wiggins get in that club?

Because he's Andrew Wiggins

Not sure if Lofton would have panned out, but if he's as good as Pitino thought he'd be, this makes it even more important the Gophers make the (NCAA) tournament this season. Even before Lofton was booted, I liked the Gophers' chances of making the tournament a lot more this season than in 2015-16.

That's if he says in school here for the whole year. Is Shell using Gaston's fall scolly now? Maybe he can use Lofton.s spring scolly if he doesn't stay enrolled.

Either way open scolly for next year.

No such thing as fall & spring scholarships. They are for academic years. Lofton has used one of Minnesota's for 2014-15. #DoneDeal

Our depth at the 1-3 is all-freshmen, not ideal. The best thing we could do is get a grad transfer wing who could start or at least be a sixth man type off of the bench. Or possibly go the JUCO route. I also wouldn't count out on another scholly being available as well. Sacar is also an option.

Yes, the grad transfer option might be best for next season, but it's a risky option because:

1) grad transfers are highly in demand;
2) you have to wait a long time until that option is finalized and the pickings are slim at that point if you don't get that player.

I wouldn't care if they picked up another freshman for next year. I've already resigned myself to some drop off in expected wins next year.

Top Bottom