Lofton Dismissed Due To Not Meeting Expectations and Obligations Of Team

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know he verbally committed to Wisconsin but I really hope Pitino gives Illikainen a call and lets him know a scholarship opened up for him if he wants it.

Here is the press release:
Lofton Dismissed from Men’s Basketball Program

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced today that junior guard Zach Lofton has been dismissed from the team, effective immediately, for failing to meet the expectations and obligations of the team.

“While decisions like this are always difficult, we felt it was in the interest of our program to move forward at this time,” said Pitino. “We wish Zach nothing but the best in the future.”

Lofton will be able to remain at the University under scholarship for the duration of the 2014-15 academic year.

Based on everything we read and heard last year, this shouldn't be much of a surprise. Apparently, Zach needs to get his **** together before he worrys about hoops. Young kid, wish him well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I wonder what he did. Got caught smoking maybe?

Mo did that last year and got 6 games, not kicked off the team.

I'm sure whatever it is will come out shortly.

Sorry to see this happen...would've loved to seen Lofton as a 4th and 5th year player with this team.

Really burns that he might have cost us AI. Oh well. $%^ happens. In the annals of Gopher basketball problems it's hardly a blip.

i think most of us who seen zack in high school or follow his young career this is no shock to anyone. He is not a team player what so ever. I like the chance pitino took but if there is problems end it soon before it lingers on.

Bank for a 3rd scholly in 2016 apparently or could use it for a spring recruit/transfer. I'm sure Pitino has a great plan for that open scholarship.

At least we could have another scholarship for 2016 if we don't get another one here for 2015

He must have done something pretty bad to be dismissed for good... Or maybe Pitino had put stricter rules on him upon transferring to the U?

Regardless, wish him the best and hope the Gophers can now find someone really good to come in and take his place.

Maybe new he was on thin ice at the scrimmage. Might have explained his behavior.

Exactly what I thought when I heard this news. Pitino needs to hop on the phone & give him a call offering him the world (whatever that means)

Saw a tweet today that said he was deciding Thursday so he's gone, but he would have been great t have

Nate Mason will be the only guy at the 1/2 who will have played a college game next year, unless we bring in a grad or another JUCO transfer.

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Gophers men's basketball dismisses guard Zach Lofton

The Gophers men's basketball team dismissed guard Zach Lofton on Wednesday, coach Richard Pitino announced in a statement.

Lofton, a St. Paul native and transfer from Illinois State, was immediately dismissed "for failing to meet the expectations and obligations of the team," according to the release. The junior guard would have had to sit out the 2014-15 season anyway due to the NCAA's transfer rules. He will remain on scholarship through the 2014-15 academic year.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-men-s-basketball-dismisses-guard-zach-lofton-102914

Go Gophers!!

I would be surprised if he did any one thing to get himself kicked off the team. This has all the signs of Lofton HS attitude problem.

I almost posted something like 'I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on the team next year' after his attitude during the scrimmage... That with the fact that we signed so many players flat out better than him, and his history. Seeing him moat around and complain to his teammates about how bad he was playing... with the 'I'm so much better than this attitude' while they were trying to play team basketball was a very bad sign.

Very glad Pitino got rid of him before his attitude hurt the team.

Think of what a problem he would have been next year watching Mason shine and the freshman beat him out for minutes.

Top Bottom