PP - G4s football brief history of disappointment

I guess Marcus decided to jump into the debbie downer fray which is too bad.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26822219/gophers-football-brief-history-disappointment
The bigger disappointment is the long history of failure that the program can't seem to overcome. The worst part is that so many years the team gets enough wins to really build some momentum and optimism and then completely crap the bed this is how they lose the "casual" fans and why there are so many of these kinds of articles written year after year.

2013: 4-0 start, lose two. Recover and get to 8-2 record and ranked #23, lose final 2 games and bowl game
2008: 7-1 start, ranked #20 lose final 4 games and bowl game.
2005: 5-1 start, ranked #22. Go 2-3 in final games and lose bowl.
2004: 5-0 start, ranked #14. Lose at # 14 Michigan and proceed to go 1-4 over next 5 games. At lease we won the bowl this year.
2003: 6-0 start, ranked #17. Lose in THAT GAME. Momentum was gone and Rose Bowl hopes were shattered against MSU the following week. Chance at a 10 win reg season lost in a defeat @Iowa to end the year.
2002: 7-1 start, ranked #19. Lose the remaining 4 games, but win the bowl game.
2000: 5-2 start, ranked #22 after defeating #6 Ohio State, go 1-3 in last 4 games and lose the bowl game.

I am surprised by how many times we were ranked. We were ranked fairly high from like 2000-05 but we always seemed to lose a easy game.

Painful memories all. That game #4 in Marcus's list was actually in Tempe, not Tucson, I was there. My eyeball did not blow-up like ReplacementGophers's did during the 2003 Michigan meltdown, but I was close to having a harmful physiological response as a result of that game.

Yes, we've had an unusual run of major disappointments over the years, but the Gophers were never serious championship contenders this year as it was obvious they'd stumble in November. Still, had the coaches shown Illinois an offense that was different - since they'd obviously be primed to stop the run, which they did the first half and most of the game - Minnesota would probably have won. Instead, Gophers walked right into the trap Illinois prepared. They also seemed a bit listless and unready on both sides of the ball in the first half, for the second week in a row.

Yes, we've had an unusual run of major disappointments over the years, but the Gophers were never serious championship contenders this year as it was obvious they'd stumble in November. Still, had the coaches shown Illinois an offense that was different - since they'd obviously be primed to stop the run, which they did the first half and most of the game - Minnesota would probably have won. Instead, Gophers walked right into the trap Illinois prepared. They also seemed a bit listless and unready on both sides of the ball in the first half, for the second week in a row.

And that's the disturbing part.

Top Bottom