Playoff rankings from THE TWELVE

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Can't see 12 people snatching away the deciding rankings from 120+ coaches and writers (who have been deciding the matter since 1936). The 12 are no smarter than the 120. Also, why should they decide bowl participation? Worse yet, why should traditional bowl games be cancelled for playoffs? Let the playoff bowls take place in any venue they choose while the traditional bowls continue as usual (minus any teams in the Final Four). Too much concentration of power here and the rankings don't differ that much anyway!

Can't see 12 people snatching away the deciding rankings from 120+ coaches and writers (who have been deciding the matter since 1936). The 12 are no smarter than the 120. Also, why should they decide bowl participation? Worse yet, why should traditional bowl games be cancelled for playoffs? Let the playoff bowls take place in any venue they choose while the traditional bowls continue as usual (minus any teams in the Final Four). Too much concentration of power here and the rankings don't differ that much anyway!

I, personally, like it. Especially after spending some time on the playoff website.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

I believe these 12 are from the Springfield branch of Mensa International (see Season 10, Episode 22 if you want to see why this will never work... A truly classic Simpsons episode!).

image.jpg

Hopefully, Stephen Hawking comes around to save the day when it comes time to pick the four teams.

when money is all that matters everything else, including logic and tradition are in the shtcan. the golden age of college football is over.

The 12 probably put in twice as much time as the 120 does combined. The coaches poll is a joke. It's submitted by whatever grad assistant gets assigned to it each week.

AP poll maybe be slightly better, but how many clueless AP writers are there? Plenty.

The BCS format was better than what we had before it. This system will be better than the BCS. The 16 team playoffs we will see in a few years when college football realizes just how much money it will create will be even better. The Bowl system fine I guess but its time or a real playoff.

A) I can't believe people are hearkening back to the days of writers voting. There are 10 threads every year about how goofy the rankings are.

B) Coaches voting is even worse than writers. If you're a college football coach and you have a very lucrative, yet very tenuous job, how much time are you going to spend researching other teams and watching them play? 5 minutes? Your average SEC coach knows less than your average Gopher fan about PAC 12 football.

My guess is over the next several years the playoffs will expand to 8 teams. 5 champions from the Different conferences and 3 at large teams. I do wish they would leave the traditional bowl game as they were and add extra games for the Playoffs.

My guess is over the next several years the playoffs will expand to 8 teams. 5 champions from the Different conferences and 3 at large teams.

I concur. I'll say it's the 2016 season when they move to 8 teams. They'll figure out quickly that a true playoff must have the 5 champions from the major conferences. That way every Power 5 conference will have a chance to prove itself on the biggest stage. Sure, there would be complaining about #9's and 10, etc., but that will happen no matter where the at-large cut-off is.

The move to 8 can't come soon enough, and we're only 9 weeks in to the new CFP.

Top Bottom