Michigan AD Dave Brandon is a train wreck

These are the types of exchanges you’d expect from some knucklehead like me and another dope here on GH. Could Brandon really be that dumb? If these are in fact authentic, Brandon leaves Ann Arbor as a five-alarm tire fire.

BTW, I did like the one fan that contrasted Michigan football to pizza that tastes like cardboard.

I've never understood the surprise that coaches and ADs have to criticism that they view as unfair. These are big boy sports, fans don't accept moral victories, we want to see the team compete at a certain level. If you are a coach, you will be held accountable for your performance in the win loss column, especially conference records, especially rivalries, and especially post season play. If you are an AD you will be held accountable for the same issues across your revenue sports. This should not be a surprise. If you want to be congratulated for being a nice person and working hard, then coach your son's little league team.

Michigan fans whine even more than some on here do, apparently.

He did say in the BT. Last I checked the golden domers were not in the BT, & I hope they never are.

And he's still probably more competent than Joel Maturi.

And he's still probably more competent than Joel Maturi.

You give Brandon too much credit...the man is AD only because of the people who donated money to the program. Michigan's lack of integrity is appalling at the moment.

These are the types of exchanges you’d expect from some knucklehead like me and another dope here on GH. Could Brandon really be that dumb? If these are in fact authentic, Brandon leaves Ann Arbor as a five-alarm tire fire.

BTW, I did like the one fan that contrasted Michigan football to pizza that tastes like cardboard.
With Dominos and Little Caesar's both based in Michigan, you would expect them to be accustomed to pizza that tastes like cardboard.:D

Let's not get carried away and let's not forget about ND. But I'll grant you, potential for top 5 material.

I'm indifferent about Notre Dame. I do find it comical how much some people find ways to hate them. I get some of the hate, but I think some people go overboard.

I'm indifferent about Notre Dame. I do find it comical how much some people find ways to hate them. I get some of the hate, but I think some people go overboard.

People take the catholic thing and media darling thing and form a massive dislike towards them. I never really got it either.

Say what you will about Joel Maturi's faults, and he had plenty, the guy was tremendously thick skinned and patient about the criticism and worse he took from the fans when communicating with them directly. I emailed the guy during the NDSU meltdown in 2011 to knock him for scheduling a game that gave the Gophers no benefit from winning and cost it plenty by losing in terms of reputation, fan interest and attendance, and brand damage. I basically accused the guy of selling out his own program for some NDSU fan ticket and concession money. In the resulting multi email exchange while the game was in progress, Joel remained calm, patient, and polite throughout even though he had to be feeling mighty upset about the situaton himself. I think Brandon, who was feeling molten heat, didn't have that self regulator that Maturi has and lashed out in the heat of the moment, making himself and his program look very poor while ultimately forcing his resignation.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Goodbye Dave Brandon...you may go back to folding boxes at domino's...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11796360/dave-brandon-michigan-wolverines-ad-leaving-post

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon is resigning and will not return next school year, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

The university will hold a news conference Friday at 1:30 p.m. ET.

Brandon has been at the center of controversy all season, including the football program's mishandling of quarterback Shane Morris' head injury and issues with students' ticket prices.

Earlier this week, mgoblog.com posted caustic and condescending emails that fans wrote to Brandon with their concerns about the athletic department. The website reviewed email exchanges between Brandon and several different fans in which he allegedly told one to "quit drinking and go to bed" and another to "find a new team to support."

Reached for comment, a Michigan spokesman told ESPN.com the school had "nothing else to add."

Students were upset when Brandon, a former Michigan football player who is in his fifth year as AD, reworked the seating arrangements for football games without consulting them and raised season ticket prices for students to the highest in the Big Ten -- an issue he recently attempted to fix by dramatically dropping the price and promising to be more connected to the student body.

Despite the change, the Michigan Daily reported that students still plan to distribute 2,000 "#FireDaveBrandon" T-shirts for Saturday's homecoming game against Indiana.

The Michigan football program has floundered under coach Brady Hoke this season, his third in Ann Arbor. The Wolverines are 3-5 overall (1-3 Big Ten) after last weekend's 35-11 loss to Michigan State, their sixth loss in seven seasons versus their rival. Hoke, who was Michigan's defensive line coach in the late 1990s, is 29-17 as coach.

ESPN said:
The Michigan football program has floundered under coach Brady Hoke this season, his third in Ann Arbor.

How does this happen so much? Do media entities just not employ editors/proofreaders/fact-checkers anymore?

Say what you will about Joel Maturi's faults, and he had plenty, the guy was tremendously thick skinned and patient about the criticism and worse he took from the fans when communicating with them directly. I emailed the guy during the NDSU meltdown in 2011 to knock him for scheduling a game that gave the Gophers no benefit from winning and cost it plenty by losing in terms of reputation, fan interest and attendance, and brand damage. I basically accused the guy of selling out his own program for some NDSU fan ticket and concession money. In the resulting multi email exchange while the game was in progress, Joel remained calm, patient, and polite throughout even though he had to be feeling mighty upset about the situaton himself. I think Brandon, who was feeling molten heat, didn't have that self regulator that Maturi has and lashed out in the heat of the moment, making himself and his program look very poor while ultimately forcing his resignation.

Very true. I too wrote to Maturi a few times and he was extremely patient and polite. He tried hard, worked hard and loved the UofM. He simply made a couple poor big decisions. Lord knows the stupid decisions I've made!

How does this happen so much? Do media entities just not employ editors/proofreaders/fact-checkers anymore?

No. No they don't. In many, many blog articles, newspapers, magazines, and press releases one can find typos and errors of fact. I don't mind them on amateur sites like GopherHole but some of these sites are supposed to be professional.

Media sites, in an effort to cut costs, have laid off most of the editors/proofreaders/fact-checkers. The result has been a pretty significant decline in quality.

Maybe they meant "his third year of floundering, " as he was 11-2 his first year

FYI, the term is actually "foundering," but it has been so mis-used over the years that Webster's finally accepted "floundering". Irregardless, I will orientate myself to there floundering and continued loosing.

Maturi- late running drunk wcco interview in madison during badger goph football game was the last straw for me.

we'll still stop and talk on the sidewalk if i see him on Monroe St walking to Camp Randall but his heart was never in the MN job.

Top Bottom