FSN: With Austin Hollins gone, Gophers need to fill leadership void

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

"Austin Hollins was such a pro when he walked in a gym," said second-year Gophers coach Richard Pitino. "You knew what you were getting with him."

At Minnesota's media day last week, Pitino expressed a bit of concern about a lack of leadership at this juncture in the year. Not that he doesn't believe the Gophers' five seniors can be leaders for the underclassmen like seniors Hollins, Maverick Ahanmisi and Malik Smith and junior Oto Osenieks were a year ago, but the newcomers have a way to go.

The seemingly de facto choice to replace Austin Hollins' leadership role this year is senior guard Andre Hollins, who was Minnesota's top scorer and has contributed since his freshman year. Pitino believes fellow seniors DeAndre Mathieu, Mo Walker, Elliott Eliason and seldom-used reserve Kendal Shell can all help fill that leadership void.

"What I want to get to with our team is where Andre steps up and tells Carlos Morris or Zach or somebody, 'This is what I expected of you as a leader,'" Pitino said. "Even just little things like walking into the gym with shoes tied, or just little cultural things that we like in our program."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...e-gophers-need-to-fill-leadership-void-102714

Go Gophers!!

Serious question: What sort of leader was Austin? I never got the sense he was "rah, rah... in your face guy". But leadership manifests in other ways.

I think he led by example. Even when things aren't going your way you show up, work hard, and things may turn.

Top Bottom