Sid: U basketball & football programs still hurt by absence of U General College

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

The basketball programs and football programs at Minnesota are still hurting because of the absence of the General College. And Minnesota is one of the toughest schools in the Big 10 to stay eligible because of their rules concerning advancing academically from the freshman year to the senior year each semester.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/280539582.html

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

The basketball programs and football programs at Minnesota are still hurting because of the absence of the General College. And Minnesota is one of the toughest schools in the Big 10 to stay eligible because of their rules concerning advancing academically from the freshman year to the senior year each semester.

Go Gophers!!

Doesn't bother me in the least. I wouldn't want a national championship if we had to degrade the academics at the U to get it. If I would have wanted a degree from Alabame I could have gone there...but I wanted something that mattered. Something with value and I liked my degree so much, I got two from the U!

Name a scholarship football or basketball player who left the program because they could not cut it academically and who were recruited in the past 5 years.

Name a scholarship football or basketball player who left the program because they could not cut it academically and who were recruited in the past 5 years.

Andre McDonald?

He had a plethora of problems though. I'm not even quite sure if academics was the problem.

And I think Al Nolen was out for a while because he was academically ineligible. Obviously didn't leave the program though. Doesn't fit your 5 year requirement either.

You could probably include Gaston Diedhiou. He's probably the only one.

You miss the point...some athletes can't get into the UofM, so we don't recruit them. That is Sid's point.

per Sid:

Go Gophers!!

The fact that people would consider "rules concerning advancing academically from the freshman year to senior year" negative disgusts me. So the major state university is not supposed to require students to advance academically. If that was the case they should shut the doors.

Get real Sid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you talk academics, fine.

If you mix competing in athletics with other schools, then it is obvious there is an advantage to other schools. No question.

Dont whine and cry when the other schools admit the best athletes and MN cant get them into school and ultimately lose to the better athletes.

You miss the point...some athletes can't get into the UofM, so we don't recruit them. That is Sid's point.
Wrong.Read the sentence in the OP. -"...Minnesota is one of the toughest schools in the Big 10 to stay eligible". That says nothing about not being able to get in. Sid has made this claim for some time but never backs it up. NU has much tougher academic standards than Minnesota and the rest of the B1G but still manages to out recruit Minnesota.

If you talk academics, fine.

If you mix competing in athletics with other schools, then it is obvious there is an advantage to other schools. No question.

Dont whine and cry when the other schools admit the best athletes and MN cant get them into school and ultimately lose to the better athletes.

Never have, never will. As an alum, I personally prefer a higher academic reputation over an athletic one.

I graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and had to satisfy the liberal arts biology requirement my senior year in the midst of 24 credits my last semester so I chose Nature Study within General College. The final project was a binder with leaves pressed and glued, one per page, of 7 different tree species with the common and scientific name on each page. That was it, and worth 20% of the grade. Take away the scientific name and I did that project in third grade. I laughed my ass off every day in that class (attendance was also 30% of the grade).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a general college? What colleges have general colleges? Couldn't the College of Liberal Arts count as a general college to an extent because there are many students who are undeclared there?

Never have, never will. As an alum, I personally prefer a higher academic reputation over an athletic one.

I graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and had to satisfy the liberal arts biology requirement my senior year in the midst of 24 credits my last semester so I chose Nature Study within General College. The final project was a binder with leaves pressed and glued, one per page, of 7 different tree species with the common and scientific name on each page. That was it, and worth 20% of the grade. Take away the scientific name and I did that project in third grade. I laughed my ass off every day in that class (attendance was also 30% of the grade)

You might not. Glad to hear your personal preference is academic.

I simply grow tired of hearing about how all the schools are playing on an even field regarding athletics. It is not true.

Tar Heels anyone?

Wrong

Wrong.Read the sentence in the OP. -"...Minnesota is one of the toughest schools in the Big 10 to stay eligible". That says nothing about not being able to get in. Sid has made this claim for some time but never backs it up. NU has much tougher academic standards than Minnesota and the rest of the B1G but still manages to out recruit Minnesota.

Did you bother to read the article? Did you bother to read the headline?

"Brewster had a hard time getting kids into school, and that was one of the reasons he didn’t win much.
It’s not easy to get the average kid into school at Minnesota, and when they cut out the General College at the university in 2005, it was a big blow of the ability of all major coaches at the university – football and basketball especially – to recruit kids who didn’t have strong academic record in high school. General College helped those students get started at the university.
The basketball programs and football programs at Minnesota are still hurting because of the absence of the General College."

That is main point. That is the lead. The other issues are secondary.

This argument would be a lot stronger were it not coming on the heels of Jeff Jones being admitted without being able to clear the NCAA's eligibility thresholds.

This argument would be a lot stronger were it not coming on the heels of Jeff Jones being admitted without being able to clear the NCAA's eligibility thresholds.

So does Gaston getting cleared by the NCAA, but not admitted to the U, strengthen the point then? NCAA vs school requirements are not apples to apples.

Top Bottom