The Reaction to Gophers Loss to Illinois Seems Bizarre

Most all that is true but you miss the entire point. It's not about expectations. It's about lost opportunity. How many people on June 1st thought the Royals would be playing in game 7 of the World Series?

"If people aren't laughing at your dreams, they aren't big enough." Something you will never have the courage to experience.

Great finishing quote. While an opportunity was lost, many lie ahead.

Not trying to change your mind or pretend my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's. Just bored here and enjoy writing on Gopherhole. Let's look at a few things here:

1. The Gophers were only favored to beat Illinois by 3.5 points;
2. The Gophers have a QB that had struggled up to the Illinois game;
3. The Gophers have relied on one weapon for a high percentage of the season;
4. The analysts I listen to have all (every single one) opined that Cobb is likely to be wearing down by now;
5. The Gophers have a few true freshman playing on the D-line;
6. The Gophers had at least 3 starters I believe throwing up on the sidelines (wonder if others were feeling ill too);
7. Illinois had a lot of extra emotion and motivation on Saturday for reasons we've all discussed;
8. Jerry Kill had stated all week that the Illinois game was not going to be a cake walk;

Just my conclusions here:

a. this was not an "F" performance. For Michigan State or Ohio State, I could see an "F". For Minnesota, I see a "C". I wonder what grade Jerry Kill, the "class professor", gave his team. I would be surprised if he gave them an "F".

b. this was a hard loss to swallow, but not an epic loss or a loss as stunning as some of the earlier-mentioned losses in the Gopher's last-30-year history.

c. the expectations for this team were too high simply based on their record of 6-1. again, I can certainly understand the disappointment, but simply because we were 6-1 is not a fair reason to conclude we were a top-tier BigTen team yet.

d. the loss was an "upset", no doubt, but not an upset anywhere near the magnitude that the press and the fans have made it out to be.

e. the Gophers right now are a team that can beat teams as high as 15-20 in the rankings and can lose to teams as low as 70 in the rankings. it's just where things are at given our QB situation and the way we need to play right now to stay close in games. we're getting better each year, but this probably isn't the year to expect us to contend for the West. It's fun and wonderful to hope and dream, but it's also okay to look at the performances in each and every game so far and come to the conclusion that we are not a real strong team, YET. I do believe we will get there in the next couple years.

Thanks!
I hear what you are saying and I like your attitude and take.

I hear what you're saying, but I must tell you it's not true and our belief systems are probably closer than you realize. I care deeply about Gopher football. The pep in my step is definitely a lot less right now due to the loss. I'm certainly not fatalistic and I've communicated a lot with this coaching staff and with previous staffs. And I would never, ever suggest you shouldn't care about the football team. If you knew me, you'd never call me a "bandwagon" fan. I sincerely apologize if I offended you!

The only points I've been trying to convey in my posts are the following:

1. Let's not ridicule this team and coaching staff. They've hardly let us down. In fact, they've accomplished some really great things in 3-plus seasons;
2. This team plays hard and seems entirely committed and motivated. The celebration on the sideline after Thompson's interception at the end of the Purdue game showed me a team that cares a lot and is 100% invested in this program and each other.
3. It's not fair to expect the team to be any better than the personnel they have. Although it seems that they've actually over-achieved in several games given what they're working with.
4. From time to time they're going to lose a game they're expected to win. It hurts, but it's understandable.
5. We seem to have no issues off the field this season and Jerry Kill is trying his a55 off to build a winner here at the "U".

In conclusion, I'm sorry if I caused you frustration and anger and hope you'll forgive me. I take back what I said about you. I don't know you so how can I form an opinion about you. That's not right. We're on the same team here and we both badly want the same result.

Enjoy the rest of the season.

Asking for an apology? Expressing valid points? This craziness flies in the face of so much gloom and doom on here. Gold star from me today. Thanks.

Most all that is true but you miss the entire point. It's not about expectations. It's about lost opportunity. How many people on June 1st thought the Royals would be playing in game 7 of the World Series?

"If people aren't laughing at your dreams, they aren't big enough." Something you will never have the courage to experience.

I like to dream big too. Without dreams, what is there to strive for? I dreamt several times about the Gophers playing MSU in the Big Ten championship game. I knew it was unlikely, but I dreamt about it 60's guy!

Why are you guys saying that the line only being -3.5 @Illinois as a talking point of the loss not being bad? Doesn't nearly losing to Purdue at home and having the experts think we are barely better than Illinois equal problems? The "second tier" in th Big 10 overthe last several years like Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska doesn't only get favored by 3.5 against Illinois. That shows that other than Iowa who is down and coming to our house when we have a bye, we should get taken to the woodshed by the other 3 teams and Iowa is a toss-up.

I like to dream big too. Without dreams, what is there to strive for? I dreamt several times about the Gophers playing MSU in the Big Ten championship game. I knew it was unlikely, but I dreamt about it 60's guy!

DoubleAlum...you express lots of rational thoughts. I do enjoy your writing. It seems I probably misunderstood your emphasis. I do believe we both want to beat Iowa! I do get too aggressive in my responses. Thanks for your understanding and patience in your responses and your viewpoints.

This program is still a few years from being a finished product. It's a long term process of building identity, depth and character. Losing a forgettable game to Illinois is not going to change that. Let's concentrate on beating Herky and Bucky.

If we had a qb who didn't go 12 for 30, this thread wouldn't exist.

If the fumble goes out of bounds instead of into the hands of a defender who sprints into the endzone, this thread doesn't exist.

If we don't get an iffy personal foul to keep a drive alive against Purdue, a different thread exists. It would be another thing if we had a banner win along with some dominating blowouts of decent teams under our belt.

It would be another thing if we had a banner win along with some dominating blowouts of decent teams under our belt.

That's the whole point! We don't have the banner and we haven't had dominating blowouts of dominating teams. So why in the hell are we so distraught? It's frustrating, sure, but if you had been paying attention, it's not a shocker. Still a work in progress even if Gopher fans had been fooling themselves. Also, doesn't change the fact we still have a chance to shock one or two teams before this is over.

That's the whole point! We don't have the banner and we haven't had dominating blowouts of dominating teams. So why in the hell are we so distraught? It's frustrating, sure, but if you had been paying attention, it's not a shocker. Still a work in progress even if Gopher fans had been fooling themselves. Also, doesn't change the fact we still have a chance to shock one or two teams before this is over.

Some of us believe that ultra-conservative playcalling has led to games against inferior opponents that have been much closer than should have been (given the level of D and special teams play), and some of us believe that ultra-conservative playcalling led to only 3 points in the first half last week, which led to the close 4th Q score, and the possibility of the loss, which then actually ended up happening.

Some of us don't think that it has to be that way (see other threads on that subject).

Some of us also saw another opportunity to pick up fans and local support for a program that desperately needs more of them take a big hit, as many of the bandwagon fans jumped ship after last week. And while it would be nice to think "well, we don't need them anyway!"...actually, we do.

Some of us believe that ultra-conservative playcalling has led to games against inferior opponents that have been much closer than should have been (given the level of D and special teams play), and some of us believe that ultra-conservative playcalling led to only 3 points in the first half last week, which led to the close 4th Q score, and the possibility of the loss, which then actually ended up happening.

Some of us don't think that it has to be that way (see other threads on that subject).

Some of us also saw another opportunity to pick up fans and local support for a program that desperately needs more of them take a big hit, as many of the bandwagon fans jumped ship after last week. And while it would be nice to think "well, we don't need them anyway!"...actually, we do.

It's obvious from your posts that you believe you possess the knowledge and football acumen necessary to teach a staff of professionals how to do things correctly, from game planning to play calling to sideline decisions. If you're right, I wish you'd get down to the campus and get busy. You're wasting a significant talent preaching to this board and the rest of us would be grateful for a big name bowl appearance.

It's obvious from your posts that you believe you possess the knowledge and football acumen necessary to teach a staff of professionals how to do things correctly, from game planning to play calling to sideline decisions. If you're right, I wish you'd get down to the campus and get busy. You're wasting a significant talent preaching to this board and the rest of us would be grateful for a big name bowl appearance.

Um, I have to strongly disagree...unless you're talking about someone else's campus. Based on cncmin's comments, I'd rather see him on the opposing sideline.

What a difference a fumble makes. A week ago we were debating whether we'd prefer to win the B1G West or beat Wisconsin. Unfortunately, most teams have their ups and downs. I'm hoping for an up against Iowa.

Expectations are in flux as the team makes progress toward the goal of being a helmet school. Expectations are rising. Performance is rising. Even helmet schools experience a loss once in a while. We are not the helmet school of the West just yet. But, recent performance suggests we are moving that direction.

My hats off to he team for the work they have put in, the development that is evident, and the willingness to make this their last loss of the season. That is serious progress.

What a difference a fumble makes. A week ago we were debating whether we'd prefer to win the B1G West or beat Wisconsin. Unfortunately, most teams have their ups and downs. I'm hoping for an up against Iowa.

We need a new poll: "More Ridiculous Thread: David Cobb For Heisman or Wisconsin/Division Title Preference"

Some of us believe that ultra-conservative playcalling has led to games against inferior opponents that have been much closer than should have been

Who cares. We won, but not by enough for you. Keep beating that drum.

Who cares. We won, but not by enough for you. Keep beating that drum.

Can you tell me you've never pointed to Nebraska barely getting by McNeese State or other such examples as to why the Gophers can/should beat a particular opponent? If not then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Can you tell me you've never pointed to Nebraska barely getting by McNeese State or other such examples as to why the Gophers can/should beat a particular opponent? If not then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Yes I can. What else you got Badger fan?

I'm not that torn by the loss to be honest. We showed we were the better team but things went their way & I'm not putting a lot of this on Kill either because the offensive playcalling was pretty good in the 2nd half. It's not really Kill's fault Mitch can't throw. There were plays that would've extended drives that were great calls & the execution was poor because of QB play.

Relax guys... upsets happen, we'll be ok...

Top Bottom